PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wear your hair down/loose?

thatjengirl1
December 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry if this has already been posted..my computer isn't liking the search bar right now..Lol

Anyways, it seems like really-long-hairs wear their hair up alot. and I understand, you don't want it down all the time, it gets more damaged and in the way.

So i was just wondering..how many times a week do you actually wear it completely down when going about your day?

Me personally, I wear my hair down often, about 5-7 days a week.

:D

Armelle
December 2nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
All. the. time.
But then...I get frequent bad headaches that make the higher up-dos just not comfortable.
The top layer of my hair really shows the damage too. :(

Lindaleriel
December 2nd, 2010, 01:43 PM
I only wear my hair up when I didn't get a shower and I want to hide the 'fro dry brushing/combing gives me. I'm with Armelle, wearing my hair up often gives me a headache. That and, until 2 weeks ago when I found this board I had always assumed the opposite, that leaving it free was better for it than confining it with twists and braids and clips and bands etc. Oh well.

Alix
December 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM
I only wear my hair up for practice and when my roots are greasy and i need to hide it with a band.

I do braid my hair now that it's getting long enough to do a side braid, but I usually do that after it's been down a while.

pepperminttea
December 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
When it's airdrying. Apart from that, whenever I feel like - though for me, in a year, that's countable on one hand.

melrose1985
December 2nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
All the time. I only put it when I'm working out.

Madora
December 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Only when I'm brushing or shampooing.

DARKMARTIAN
December 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
I only wear it down pretty much only when I go out for recreation.........or sleep..:o

(Although its down right now as I type this :p)

Dyefree
December 2nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
Well before I came here I left it down all the time.

Now it's up all the time, I never have it down, although I'll probably get it blow fried for Xmas dinner and our 3 year wedding anniversary :o

MClass
December 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
I wear my hair up 2 days a week and down 5. I think I look better with it down, and I can admit I'm a tad vain. More so in that I dont like my neck and on some days my skin. So its like a coat that covers my fat lol.

freckles
December 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
I often have it down on an evening in front of the TV or the computer, but I rarely have my hair down for a whole day. More often, it goes up-down-up-down all day according to what I'm doing :)

rosieex3
December 2nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
I wear my hair down every single day that I don't have a bad hair day, lol.

Shadow Walker
December 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
I wear it down most of the time, though it's so long now that I almost have to have it tied back when I'm out and about.

bluesnowflake
December 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
I wear it up about 3 times a week- I know I should keep it up more, but it's time-consuming, and well, I just like it down :)

Finoriel
December 2nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Completely down when going about my day?
Never. It would get in my way and drive me nuts ... :wacko:
I mean more nuts than I already am :p :laugh:

I wear it down after washing it, so it has time to dry. Though I usually end up braiding it or putting it up in a bun while it's still damp. Drying seems to take ages lately.

littlestarface
December 2nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
When husband is home or when its drying,combing, putting henna or other treatments, only times I have it down.

xpeacelovekoala
December 2nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
I only wear it up when I'm at the gym/yoga class.
Other than that, I feel that I look better with my hair down. (:

DARKMARTIAN
December 2nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
I only wear it down pretty much only when I go out for recreation.........or sleep..:o

(Although its down right now as I type this :p)

I will also add that I do tend to wear it loose much more in the winter months than in the summer. 100°+ temps and down hair do NOT go well together for me....
I will go to great lengths to avoid those annoying and out of control "temple curls"......

Long_hair_guy
December 2nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
When I'm outside I never have my hair down. Mainly since I want to do my thing and not de-tangling it every 5 mins. Plus with all the rain, snow, wind etc ouside my hair normally ends up somewhere I don't want it to be (like my mouth or my eyes.

Inside I have it down sometimes. Sitting at the PC or Tv I don't mind it down since its not going to move or anything. But if I'm doing something I will just put it in a ponytail or bun (if its not in something already)

Issmene
December 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Almost everyday :) But lately I've been thinking of putting it up more often, because windy and snowy weather + having my hair down isn't such a good combination >.<

Anje
December 2nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Probably for a few hours a day. Mine's up during the day/at work/when I'm busy for practicality and safety, but I tend to let it down in the evenings, when I want to relax, etc. Sometimes it later ends up getting braided to keep it all together and prevent tangles though.

I also usually sleep with it loose in a sleep bonnet, but then I suppose it's contained in a bonnet, huh?

Carolyn
December 2nd, 2010, 03:24 PM
I might wear it down maybe twice a month on average. I only wear it down on the day I wash it and I'm getting lazier and lazier about washing it. It has to be a non windy day. I only wear it down if I'm not going to be around certain people. You see where this is going? I don't have all the many opportunities. I wear it down at home so I can enjoy it but I really don't count that as wearing it down.

spidermom
December 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Wear my hair down all day? Never.

Irnann
December 2nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
I wear my hair down maybee ten times in a years for special days.

I also startet to wear it in an updo almost every day i am at work. Last week one of my students ( she is a hairdresser ) told me she wants to cut my braid and she was doing with her fingers like she is cutting with a sissor and snapping with her tounge.

Since that day i wear it always up. I dont feel good anymore to show of my lenght, somehow it is its disturbing me if everybody can see it.

akuamoonmaui
December 2nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
I usually wear my hair up - typically a bun with a hair stick. I'm student teaching in elementary school so I'm hoping it's a way to prevent head lice, should that ever be an issue. It's also more professional looking ~ my hair gets pretty crazy looking when not "controlled".

I wear my hair down when I'm at my "day job", just 'cause I can. On my day off I'll wear it down until I start doing things (cleaning, yard work, etc.) then I'll put it in a high pony tail, or claw clip.

I like wearing my hair down, it reminds me why I grow it. But my hair also does better when it's up. I notice much less damage,it's more shiny, etc.

enfys
December 2nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
I'm going to take "wear it down" to mean I have my hair loose for no reason other than not wearing it up, i.e. not during drying.

The last time was at a wedding in July.

I'd say I wear my hair loose quarterly at best, and even then I have a way to put it up at all times. During the meal at the wedding I clipped it back. I hate having to think about my hair and real life at the same time.

Rebelkat
December 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
I probably wear my hair down once a month. During that one day a month, though, it spends a lot of time wrapped around my neck like a scarf to protect it from... well, anything it might get damaged by. Does that still count as being down all day?

Anatheme
December 2nd, 2010, 04:59 PM
I wear it up at home and when sleeping all the time unless it's drying. I wear it up most of the time when I go out too, except for perhaps once a week when I wear it down.

jenjen10
December 2nd, 2010, 05:00 PM
I often have it down on an evening in front of the TV or the computer, but I rarely have my hair down for a whole day. More often, it goes up-down-up-down all day according to what I'm doing :)

This is me also! :D

Alcenaia
December 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM
I wear it down for the day on probably less than ten days a year. I'll sometimes take it down to relax for a few hours.

LadyG
December 2nd, 2010, 08:53 PM
I put it up when I go to work, but I leave it down at home. As it gets longer, I might leave it up more, but for now, I like it down at home.

Charlotte:)
December 2nd, 2010, 08:56 PM
I can only wear my hair down on wash day and the day after. Since I wash my hair twice a week, I guess I wear it down for four days a week. I really hate wearing it up, because it's too restricting for me, and I seem to damage it more with updos then just letting it be free.

HoneyJubilee
December 2nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
I think in the last 3-4 weeks I've only had my hair loose all day once. I've been keeping it braided most of the time because my wool jacket tangles my hair so badly when it's left loose.

Pre-LHC I had my hair loose about half the time and up in a messy bun the other half.

liagibba
December 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I wear my hair down about half the time. I wear it up and days I don't wash or want it out of the way. I'd say it's up 3 days a week and down 4, as an average.

Shellby
December 2nd, 2010, 09:12 PM
Wear it down all day? Never I suppose. I wind up in a braid by 3:00pm if it is not already in a braid. I wear it up for work most days now. I wear it down until it dries or is almost dry then in a braid or updo. I have always done that, though no matter what my length. Except when very short. If it was long enough for a braid it was in one! LOL. People at work like it down but I can't stand it in my way while I am working.

akhkharu
December 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
I wear my hair up about 4 days a week and down for 3. The four days are usually when I'm at work and the three are when I'm home, sitting around the house. I always wear it up when I work out and I'll put it up during the day if it seems to be tangling or getting in my way.

Akherousia
December 2nd, 2010, 10:04 PM
Usually braided to avoid wind-whip. My horses and doggies like to 'kiss' my hair when it's down, which ends up tangling it terribly xD Not to mention the bits of feed and slobber. I am a restless sleeper as well, and get headaches from buns. Depends on the activity and mood, I guess. I enjoy it down when I'm not paranoid about damage.

JulietCapulet
December 2nd, 2010, 11:07 PM
I try to wear my hair down more now. So probably like 60% of the time.

IndigoInk
December 2nd, 2010, 11:22 PM
I've been wearing it down more lately and I've been getting a lot of compliments :)

I wear it up if I'm housecleaning, working out, it's hot out, it's windy out, etc... but especially just sitting at home or hanging out with friends it's down.

eezepeeze
December 2nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
When I first started growing my hair out, and especially after finding this site, I wore it up almost everyday, but lately I seem to have passed an awkward stage in that all my hair is finally past my shoulders. I've worn it down every day this week to my great comfort and pleasure. It's nice to get to enjoy all that hard work!

luxepiggy
December 2nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
My always starts the day down unless I need to have a specific reason to put it up, like the weather, a business meeting, etc. I always carry hairsticks with me so I can put it up later in the day if the need arises.

tanya222
December 2nd, 2010, 11:50 PM
Practically never. Last time was probably when I had to let it airdry to take my siggy picture and get hair typed.

trolleypup
December 3rd, 2010, 12:17 AM
Actually down all day? Can remember when! It is down for sleep, and may be down intermittently, especially if I am being non-active or going out with friends or dinner. I guess it is just so easy to put it up (even briefly) that it never makes it through the day down.

It is generally up under most conditions and activities.

milagro
December 3rd, 2010, 02:24 AM
Wear it down, all the mass or just a part of it, almost every day. But then I do it up every day as well when I exercise or do some housework.

Loreley
December 3rd, 2010, 02:54 AM
I almost never wear it down all day. I wear it down about once in every two weeks, usually when I'm at school or go shopping, but put it up when I arrive home.

allmixedup88
December 3rd, 2010, 08:43 AM
Only when I have a job interview or I go to a party, but I'm looking into cute updos and ways to hide my hair for work. Since I started wearing my hair up the quality has really improved :-)

aenflex
December 3rd, 2010, 08:47 AM
When I had hair long enough, it was alway up. It was always in poor condition. By the time I knew how to treat my hair, I was in love with the pixie and wedge and wore them for years. Promised myself that this time growing I would wear it down a few times per week, and I am pleased to say that I have started doing this and I like it!

Babyfine
December 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM
50%-50.% I live in a very windy environment so it has to go up on windy days.
I look much better with it down, though, so I wear it down about 1/2 of the time. My hair is only BSL so I can get by with wearing it down but even so I get a lot of tangles if I don't comb through it frequently with it down. That can cause damage, I think. So I wear it up during the day a lot to avoid tangles, down in the evening right before I go to bed. I wear it loose to sleep- but that may have to change if it gets longer.

RoseRedDead
December 3rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
Not often enough/too much.

I need to braid it for sleep (which I haven't done of late) because it keeps it from being rolled on, trapped beneath my pillow, between the bed and teh wall, etc. Especially in wintertime with more covers/blankets on the bed.

I would like to wear it down when I'm not doing active stuff, simply because I need to remember how to work with my hair down and how to embrace it. I have lost sight of this in my quest to keep it healthy by keeping it up.

There's my conundrum. :P

cmnt831
December 3rd, 2010, 09:43 AM
I only wear mine down to air dry on wash day, which is once or twice a week. The climate where I live is not conducive to wearing long hair down most of the time anyway - heat and wind make it uncomfortable. I also wear it up to sleep to keep it out of the way. Plus, as my hair has gotten longer, I'm not comfortable wearing it down in public. I will wear it down around close family and friends sometimes, but rarely, like for my birthday. :)

Pifkin
December 3rd, 2010, 10:17 AM
Almost every day, unless it's wet. I've gotten better about wearing my hair up though within the past few weeks though since it's gotten windier and colder.

x0h_bother
December 3rd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Day: down or half up
Night and sleep: up

Yozhik
December 3rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
It's gotten quite chilly and has always been windy here, so I've taken to wearing it contained whenever I go out. If I don't, it gets horribly matted under my coat and I get nape tangles. :(

The problem is, since I only have a close-fitted knitted cap, if my hair is up in any way other than in a braid, then I can't wear my hat . . .

In any case, I've been trying to wear it up more (around 4-6 days a week) to keep it from being damaged, now that it's gotten longer. And I also never go a full day with it down anymore. :)

BrightEyes7
December 3rd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Almost everyday. My hair likes it down better. It behaves better when I wear it down.

So unless it's greasy or it's windy it's down.

Rabya-Khadija
December 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Every day! If it's windy or too cold I wear a big wooly hat :D ... but it's usually out and down to one side if I've got a hat on.

irishlady
December 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Down about 3 days a week and up 4 days. I wish I could wear it down more but with the weather here and work....

Angeletti
December 3rd, 2010, 06:52 PM
I only wear it completely down around once a week, right after washing it and it might be down in a braid for the rest of the days I have to leave the house, so three times down a week on average. As soon as I get back home though I put it right back into a bun so it's out of the way and protected.

bubblyredhead
December 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
down 85&#37; of the time mostly it is up at work and while I sleep

Milui Elenath
December 4th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Rarely. Whenever I'm going 'out' I will wear it loose or in a half up usually because this means I will not be doing any sort of activity where my hair will be an issue. (Half ups are for eating purposes :) )

At home I also fall into the up, down, up, down category. I have to honestly say that even ponytails and braids don't last long before turning into updos. At work it is not an option.

But I do love my hair loose.

foggybrooke
December 4th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I am growing my hair long for the updos! I generally prefer my hair up and out of my way. I tried short hair several times and hated the way it looked, and missed playing with it. I play with my hair a lot (I have since I was a baby). I generally pull my hair up and down several times a day depending on what I am doing. If I am stressed, or deep in thought, it is down and I am running my fingers through it or playing (twirling) with it. If I am actually working it is instantly up.

At work earlier this week an employee commented that they know what kind of day I am having based upon my hair. If it is in some messy sort of basically updo it has been a long day, and it is best not to disturb me because I finally made a breakthrough or I am behind on my work and trying to power through. If it is in a neat updo it has been a calm day. If it is down and I am running my fingers through it, stay away and if it is down and I am twirling it, have a seat and chat, I am in a mood to talk! It cracked me up that one of my employees started to make this observation and my entire staff joined in, I just sat there and laughed as they compared observations, and they were all dead on. Considering I have known all these people less than 8 months, it just really showed me how transparent my moods are and how tied to my hair I really am.

I do try to wear my hair down for my husband. Although, the minute I start doing anything cleaning, cooking, eating, it has to go up for the task at hand. I can not stand hair in my face. I can't wait until it is long enough to put behind my shoulders and stay there! For times when we go out to dinner (he always looks so disappointed when I come back from the restroom with my hair up, even though he knows it will be back down the minute we get in the car). He swears he has no preference on the length, style or color of my hair but his face would indicate otherwise.

Most people comment on my hair when it is down, and ask me to wear it down more often. Maybe if it is ever long enough to stay in over my shoulders, I will. (The longest it has ever been is a little past BSL and when it was that long, it was basically long enough for me to wear down un-annoyed for the most part).

Adiva
December 6th, 2010, 06:48 PM
The only times I have my hair down during the day is while it is drying and occasionally I'll wear it down for a short time if I'm going out for tea, for special occasions or if I have a migraine.

principesse
December 6th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I wear it down the overwhelming majority of the time. Sometimes I wear a ponytail (to work or at the gym), sometimes a headband, sometimes half-up half-down and sometimes I do something cute with the bangs.

adiapalic
December 6th, 2010, 11:38 PM
It's about half and half right now. When I had a fulltime job as a clerk, it was up all day at work, all night when I slept, and was mainly down only when I washed it or took it down to braid for bed.

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Almost every day!

Pixna
December 7th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I only wear my hair down at night, when I'm sleeping. During the day, my hair is always up -- always.

feb26
December 7th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I live in Vancouver, BC...so its pretty weather dependent-if it's windy & rainy outside or super-humid in the summer up it goes. It goes up when I exercise, too. I try to keep it down as much as I can, when it's up there's much damage and I love the feel of it loose on my back.

Anisaa
December 9th, 2010, 08:18 PM
5 out of the 7 days of the week.. I LOVE having my hair down!!!

Tia2010
December 9th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Before LHC my hair was always either down or pulled back into in a ponytail ( I had no idea how to do a proper updo) But now I usually wear it up when I'm home , granted its only in a clip because I still haven't taken the time to learn a proper updo , but its up and out of the way. When I go out it depends on my mood and where I'm going. Out with friends or dh its probably down out to the grocery , up.

christine1989
December 9th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I used to do an updo daily but now that my hair is too long for my favorite clips I wear it down about 2-3 days a week.

CaityBear
December 9th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I don't wear it down too often because it tangles way too easily.

I never wear it down in winter because of winter coats.
I never wear it down on windy days.

I usually only wear it down when the weather is nice and I will be standing most of the day so I don't get it caught on chairs and whatnot.

lillylonghair
December 9th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I mostly wear it down when I'm at home (most of the day). When I go out I put it up so it's not in my way.

curlymarcia
December 10th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I must confess I wear my hair down almost all the time. I wear it up only the days that it looks awful (maybe 4 times per month). Since I have curly hair the updos ruin my curls, and also I look much better with my hair down. My hair is not long (I am at BSL), maybe with really long hair I will change my mind.

swiftbn
December 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM
most of the time i nor,ally wear my hair up. anytime that i would want to wear my hair in my eyes and in my face is possibly the only time that i wear it down/loose, which is almost when i am home. Other than that my hair is really never down for due to the fact that i would have to push and brush it back out of my way and out of my face every 2 seconds because of it being so long. so id rather not have it down when im out and about; just when im home.

Avvoltoio
December 10th, 2010, 04:46 PM
i wear it down always

jeanniet
December 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Outside of the house, almost never. Just too easy to get it snagged on things, plus it's often windy here and that's just a recipe for disaster. At home, I wear it down at least half the time. I try to give my hair breaks from updos if I know I'm going to be doing something benign (like working on the computer).

lw8666
December 10th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I wear my hair up almost everyday. I only wear my hair down when its BSL and longer. I'm at APL, so until then, it will remain up in a bun!

TwilightBloom
December 10th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Now that i have learned about all the dangers there are to my hair, i wear it up a lot.. Now that it is cold, i try to keep it up and covered..

patienceneeded
December 10th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Usually down, but it's not really long enough for much more than a generic claw-clip or something similar. I like my hair down unless it's hot out though.