PDA

View Full Version : Hair Steamer to deep moisturize dry hair ?

Cailie
December 2nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Anyone tested ?
Opinions about hair steamers ?
Are you curious to try ??!

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1291398144.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1291398144.jpg/1.html)

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1291398189.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1291398189.jpg/1.html)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rhN-CXSrS8

AMAZING HAIR (see end) --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk_5Lqyj4qQ&feature=related

Cailie
December 2nd, 2010, 11:29 AM
look at the end of the 2nd video (after deep co + steamer), her hair is GORGEOUS, omg !

sherigayle
December 3rd, 2010, 09:09 AM
I've always loved how my hair feels when I use the Caruso steam curlers. So steam does make my hair feel good. I've thought about figuring out a way to use the Caruso without the curlers as a treatment. And the woman's hair in the 2nd video is amazing.

aenflex
December 3rd, 2010, 09:16 AM
I would think just the opposite, that's it not good for hair. I mean hot water/steam/heat does cause the cuticle to open/rise? That's not something I would think I would want to happen to hair any more than necessary?
I don't have much esperience using steam in my hair, aside from and old curling iron that you filled with water and steamed with simultaneously, so I am not speaking from much experience.

ElliesJellies
December 3rd, 2010, 09:17 AM
I agree with aenflex... sounds like a bad idea. And for me personally, I can just imagine that product creating mass amounts of frizz. No thanks.

Cailie
December 3rd, 2010, 09:22 AM
I had this feeling too... but we do use heat for treatments, right ? with plastic, heat caps, etc. this is just humid heat.

as I understand it, the streamer is used with a deep condish applied to hair BEFORE hand... then the heat to really moisturise and let the condish it seek in... after, its rinsed with cold water, ACV rinse etc... to get the cutticle back down.

aenflex
December 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
I had this feeling too... but we do use heat for treatments, right ? with plastic, heat caps, etc. this is just humid heat.

as I understand it, the streamer is used with a deep condish applied to hair BEFORE hand... then the heat to really moisturise and let the condish it seek in... after, its rinsed with cold water, ACV rinse etc... to get the cutticle back down.

ITA...And in that case a dry heat might work just as well, since the idea is opening the cuticle to let the conditioner in. I don't know why I am wary of steam. I just think too much water is bad for the hair. But again, that's just an instinct and I have no proof of any sort :) Not trying to be devil's advocate - if people try and it love it than cool!!!

GoddesJourney
December 3rd, 2010, 10:24 AM
I know a lot of people have trouble with frizzy hair when it's hot and humid. I find that it doesn't give me any trouble unless my hair is damaged. However, my hair was always moisturized when I would wash it daily in a hot shower (even with shampoo and conditioner) and just braid it wet. My hair was we most of the time and when it was dry, it was beautiful and well hydrated. I don't know that steam (warm water vapor) is bad at all. I suppose if you stuck your hair right on the part where the steam is created, it would be bad. If you're a little further from the source, it's not all that hot. Any steam that your skin could handle, your hair would probably be fine with.

Cailie
December 3rd, 2010, 10:36 AM
ITA...And in that case a dry heat might work just as well, since the idea is opening the cuticle to let the conditioner in. I don't know why I am wary of steam. I just think too much water is bad for the hair. But again, that's just an instinct and I have no proof of any sort :) Not trying to be devil's advocate - if people try and it love it than cool!!!

don't worry, I understand what you mean and I don't have any proof either (and I don't have an opinion about it - just very curious) !! I'm very happy to hear all ideas anyone could have about it, both intuitive, experienced and/or scientific researched knowledge :p

I have heard in the past that hot and humid climates leads to the fastests hair growth, is that any true ?

aenflex
December 3rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Warmth (of scalp), stimulation and bloodflow to the follicles is what stimulates growth best for me. I use cayenne and have used capsicum oleoresin, rosemary, peppermint - things with a bite - in my scalp oils. I massage a lot :)
I live in FL, and it's very hot and humid all the time, save for 3 months of laughable 'winter'. My hair grows ultra fast here in spring and summer. Slows in the winter but that's to be expected.

copied from hairfinder.com

As with many environmental conditions, steam can have beneficial effects for certain hair types, but only as long as the level and durations of exposure are controlled and kept to reasonable levels. It also depends on the hair type being exposed. Hair that is porous will absorb moisture more readily, and release it in much the same manner, and could easily swell more rapidly and thus be damaged by prolonged exposure to steamy environs.

Because of this, there are cases where steam can be beneficial, as well as cases where steam could be harmful to the hair. The key is to know your hair and know how much steam to which you should expose the hair. If you have a problem with dry hair, taking a steam can give the hair some much needed moisture. Follow up a 15-20 minute sauna or steam bath with a good acid-balanced conditioner and cool water rinse and you could lock in the extra moisture and leave with better conditioned hair than when you arrived.

If you find that your hair is adversely affected by a sauna or steam bath – for example if your hair becomes puffy and frizzy when steam-exposed – try using a smoothing serum (with a silicone base) or a light oil shine spray to treat the hair before you sauna, or keep your head wrapped in a towel or bathing cap to minimize the amount of moisture your hair is exposed to. Silicone serums and spray oils coat the hair shaft and prevent moisture from penetrating as rapidly (if at all in some cases). This keeps the hair from being over-saturated by the warm moisture of the steam.

Probably the greatest benefit of steam for most people is the tendency of steam baths to open the pores of the skin and allow free flow of sebum and clearing of the ducts and glands in the skin. Since the scalp is made of skin with hair follicles growing from it, a steam can help to alleviate common scalp issues, such as dryness and flaking, and excessive-oil production. The warmth and moisture help stimulate circulation and flush out toxins from the skin.

So, to answer your question: Steam rooms are like every other luxury or pleasure in life. They are best experienced in moderation and with some level of understanding of the intentions behind their use.

Cailie
December 3rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
I found this article, here : http://sdhs1.wordpress.com/

"(...) We are calling it Hair Hydrotherapy

For Healthy Scalp and Hair

It is basically like a Sauna for your scalp and has many benefits for your scalp and hair including:

- Better circulation for scalp leading to better hair growth.
- Cleans Scalp, removing dirt and dead skin
- Brings moisture to your roots and hair shaft
- Leaves your hair soft and smooth
- Great for Dandruff
- Stops dryness and hair breakage
- Makes hair stronger and healthier
- Improves Hair Color Treatments

(...) How Hair Hydrotherapy works….

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1291398501.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1291398501.jpg/1.html)

Hair steamer’s are becoming more and more popular and they definitely get people talking with the nice cloud of steam hovering above the steamer.

They are move widely used for deep hair treatments such as scalp cleansing, protein moisturizing, color treatments and many other treatments to give us healthier and happy hair and scalp.

The reason why hair steamers are so great for hair treatment is that this will improve circulation with the steam and the heat, opening up your follicles and hair shaft cuticles and this allows moisture as well as your hair treatment product to enter the hair shaft.

The steamer is then set on a cooler setting towards the end of the hair treatment and this then closes the cuticles and hair shaft and locks in all that deep hair treatment product. The greatest benefit is using natural h2o to bring moisture to your scalp.

You can use a heat cap, but the process will take longer to penetrate your scalp. Caps are usually used if the steamer is unable to provide temperature controlled release of steam. Otherwise, it is best to use the hair steamer without the hair cap to achieve the best results. This way the penetration of steam is direct to your scalp and brings moisture straight to the roots and hair shaft."

Can there be any truth in this ?

Cailie
December 3rd, 2010, 10:52 AM
Warmth (of scalp), stimulation and bloodflow to the follicles is what stimulates growth best for me. I use cayenne and have used capsicum oleoresin, rosemary, peppermint - things with a bite - in my scalp oils. I massage a lot :)
I live in FL, and it's very hot and humid all the time, save for 3 months of laughable 'winter'. My hair grows ultra fast here in spring and summer. Slows in the winter but that's to be expected.

copied from hairfinder.com

As with many environmental conditions, steam can have beneficial effects for certain hair types, but only as long as the level and durations of exposure are controlled and kept to reasonable levels. It also depends on the hair type being exposed. Hair that is porous will absorb moisture more readily, and release it in much the same manner, and could easily swell more rapidly and thus be damaged by prolonged exposure to steamy environs.

Because of this, there are cases where steam can be beneficial, as well as cases where steam could be harmful to the hair. The key is to know your hair and know how much steam to which you should expose the hair. If you have a problem with dry hair, taking a steam can give the hair some much needed moisture. Follow up a 15-20 minute sauna or steam bath with a good acid-balanced conditioner and cool water rinse and you could lock in the extra moisture and leave with better conditioned hair than when you arrived.

If you find that your hair is adversely affected by a sauna or steam bath – for example if your hair becomes puffy and frizzy when steam-exposed – try using a smoothing serum (with a silicone base) or a light oil shine spray to treat the hair before you sauna, or keep your head wrapped in a towel or bathing cap to minimize the amount of moisture your hair is exposed to. Silicone serums and spray oils coat the hair shaft and prevent moisture from penetrating as rapidly (if at all in some cases). This keeps the hair from being over-saturated by the warm moisture of the steam.

Probably the greatest benefit of steam for most people is the tendency of steam baths to open the pores of the skin and allow free flow of sebum and clearing of the ducts and glands in the skin. Since the scalp is made of skin with hair follicles growing from it, a steam can help to alleviate common scalp issues, such as dryness and flaking, and excessive-oil production. The warmth and moisture help stimulate circulation and flush out toxins from the skin.

So, to answer your question: Steam rooms are like every other luxury or pleasure in life. They are best experienced in moderation and with some level of understanding of the intentions behind their use.

Very interesting, thanks !

aenflex
December 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Best way to find out is to try it, methinks :)

rusika1
December 3rd, 2010, 09:47 PM
How is this any different from sitting under one of those bonnet hairdryers set on high? It seems like applying dry heat to wet hair isn't significantly different from applying wet heat to dry hair--the equation is still water+heat+hair.

The manufacturer says it produces steam. What's the temperature of the water? Because water boils at 212F/100C, which could cause some serious burns. Heck, serious burns can be caused by water temperatures as low as 110F, which is lower than the temperature of most home water heaters.

The manufacturer makes several claims--let's look at them.

They claim that 'better circulation for scalp' leads to "better hair", that the steamer "cleans scalp, removing dirt and dead skin" and that it "brings moisture to your roots and hair shaft". Well, yes, it's quite likely that it does all those things--it's spraying hot water on your head. Although I think 'loosens dirt and dead skin' is probably more accurate than 'removes dirt and dead skin'--without some sort of mechanical assistance (washing your hair, scalp massage, combing, brushing, etc.) I don't think your dirt and dead skin will be going anywhere.

They say their treatment 'leaves your hair soft and smooth', 'stops dryness and hair breakage' and 'makes hair stronger and healthier'. Well, those are some pretty amazing claims for what amounts to a hot water delivery system! Wait, they say it's used with deep hair treatments. So--all these benefits should probably be attributed to the deep treatments.

They say their steamer is 'great for dandruff'. In what way? Do they have proof? Are they talking about real dandruff, or just flaky scalp-which would be covered under 'removing dirt and dead skin'.

So--improved scalp circulation, removing dirt and dead skin, and moist hair. A shower will also provide these things.

Deep treatments (like an SMT:D), boosted by heat, which could be provided by a heat cap or bonnet hair dryer.

And it looks as if the home model Hair Steamer costs about $130.

I think a line from the 'Hair Hydrotherapy' blurb probably sums up the appeal--'they definitely get people talking with the nice cloud of steam hovering above the steamer'. People (okay, mostly women) go to hair salons to be pampered and to socialize, and this sounds like a treatment that allows you to do both. (it's got to be quieter than those huge dryers!)

(too long, didn't read: For home use, you can accomplish all the same things much less expensively. And without losing precious bathroom counterspace.)

UltraBella
December 3rd, 2010, 10:05 PM
My hair loves my Caruso hairsetter and that is warm steam. Different but similar, so it's kind of related to this thread.
Seriously, my hair rejoices when I use it. It is awesome how shiny and soft it makes my hair.

Cailie
December 4th, 2010, 12:18 AM
My hair loves my Caruso hairsetter and that is warm steam. Different but similar, so it's kind of related to this thread.
Seriously, my hair rejoices when I use it. It is awesome how shiny and soft it makes my hair.

Do you understand how it works to make your hair happy ? do you think it workd differently from dry heat towards wet hair ?
and how often do you use it ?

rusika1 : good points. for the heat / burn, from what I saw in videos, the steam is directed up and then falls back on the hair, so it can't burn, it's only warm (I believe)

Buddaphlyy
December 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
As soon as funds permit, I will probably be getting the Huetiful steamer. A lot of ladies at LHCF have had good success with steaming versus a regular heat cap/bonnet dryer. I may try to find a salon that does steam treatments beforehand though to compare for myself.

Artenystea
December 7th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I've had steam treatments ("Japanese moisture treatments") at a salon before - several times, in fact. The steamer never gets too hot, at least not in my opinion. For what it's worth, I'm much more uncomfortable from the heat of a blow dryer than that of a steam bonnet. I don't really use blow dryers or flat irons, so overall I'd say I'm very sensitive to having hot things near my head and the steam bonnet is not a problem for me. Because of this I'd have to imagine that it's not very damaging to the hair (plus, your hair is slathered in conditioner.) For the record, my hair is healthy, but I don't really have an idea of how resilient to heat it is. :shrug:

jaine
December 7th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I think her hair is gorgeous!! :)

Capybara
December 7th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I know a lot of people have trouble with frizzy hair when it's hot and humid. I find that it doesn't give me any trouble unless my hair is damaged. However, my hair was always moisturized when I would wash it daily in a hot shower (even with shampoo and conditioner) and just braid it wet. My hair was we most of the time and when it was dry, it was beautiful and well hydrated. I don't know that steam (warm water vapor) is bad at all. I suppose if you stuck your hair right on the part where the steam is created, it would be bad. If you're a little further from the source, it's not all that hot. Any steam that your skin could handle, your hair would probably be fine with.

I find that my hair is extremely moisturized and shiny when I braid it wet, and this may be an explanation :)

She has amazing hair! WOW!

maus
December 7th, 2010, 09:57 PM
So would I get the same effect if I put one of those heat caps (on low) over my wet hair? I wonder....

GRU
December 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I'm wondering if it's actual "heat steam" (from boiling water) or if it's "ultrasonic steam" (like those cool mist room humidifiers) that has been warmed up?

Because to me, "heat steam" would burn your hair just like it burns your skin.... :shrug:

Cailie
December 8th, 2010, 10:59 AM
from what I saw inthe videos :

I think hot stream from boilled water is directed on the "wall" of the "helmet" (don't know how it's called) and, therefore, protected from going directly on the hair, so it fills up the whole thing with warm (not hot) steam... because if you are not too close to the direct steam, it cools down pretty fast and gets to be only like a "warm cloud" over your head.

But I'd love for someone who tried it to tell us !