PDA

View Full Version : Brush? Comb? Wet? Dry? Help!

Irishewwie
December 2nd, 2010, 10:01 AM
I'm horrible with my hair. lol. I usually brush it when I get out of the shower. I know it's horrible to do. But if I let it dry then brush it, then the tangles take FOREVER to get out. And using a comb is impossible. Most combs just break and get stuck in my hair.

I was never really worried about the damage it did to my hair...but since I'm about to dreadlock my hair...I want to do the least amount of damage possible before I do that. I know...weird, but oh well.

And just a little info. My hair is just a little past my waist. And it's wavy.

Issmene
December 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Try to detangle it in the shower with lots of conditioner :P If you then airdry, the tangles are less (for me al least ^^)

milagro
December 2nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
You may comb your hair with your fingers and detangle gently while conditioning, it is much easier. I always do it, otherwise I just get my hair all laced and knotted together. And here I learned it is hair-friendly, too.

Coan-Teen
December 2nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
I just make a part in my hair while in the shower and then run water over each side to "comb" the hair down. If need be, I will finger comb any snags out from the bottom up. It's really easy to do and saves me a lot of potential damage. My hair can be prone to breakage while combing if I'm not really careful.

Irishewwie
December 2nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
I only ever air dry. With a little towel drying. And the tangles are still pretty bad. :(

Lianna
December 2nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
I usually brush it when I get out of the shower. I know it's horrible to do.

Not for everyone. That's when my hair is easiest to comb, I rather not tear tangles if I let air dry without combing, the way I do it I never get tangles. I comb after towel dry, the hair is still slippery from the conditioner. If you can in the shower, while conditioning, even better.

Arndis
December 2nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
My hair is not long but my stylists have remarked for years on how soft and shiny and undamaged it is, so maybe I am onto something.

I let the conditioner soak in while I soap and rinse, and then I use a wide-tooth comb to detangle, starting from the bottom and working up. After rinsing the conditioner out, I comb again, and this time I can probably use a medium or fine-tooth comb, at least on the 2nd pass. Combing gets some of the water out of my hair, so that I don't have to rough it up with towels so much or blow-dry for ages.

I grew up in a house where we used dish detergent for shampoo, and no conditioner, so I understand about the horrible tangles from letting it dry unconditioned. Wet-combing or wet-brushing without conditioner also used to hurt a lot.

IStand4u
December 2nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
My hair is not long but my stylists have remarked for years on how soft and shiny and undamaged it is, so maybe I am onto something.

I let the conditioner soak in while I soap and rinse, and then I use a wide-tooth comb to detangle, starting from the bottom and working up. After rinsing the conditioner out, I comb again, and this time I can probably use a medium or fine-tooth comb, at least on the 2nd pass. Combing gets some of the water out of my hair, so that I don't have to rough it up with towels so much or blow-dry for ages.

I grew up in a house where we used dish detergent for shampoo, and no conditioner, so I understand about the horrible tangles from letting it dry unconditioned. Wet-combing or wet-brushing without conditioner also used to hurt a lot.

I grew up the same way, we used dish detergent for washing hair but my mom found something cheaper than conditioner that worked the same as the really expensive stuff. Don't hit me or anything, but she used fabric softener. I know sounds terrible, but she would but a little bit in a pitcher of water, run it down the length of my hair and then rinse it out. Also, in winter when my hair was frizzy and had alot of static she would take a dryer sheet, soak it over night in a cup of water, take it out and then pour the water over my ends. My hair smelled good, wasn't full of static or frizz, and it was really soft and there was virtually no damage.

Sorry to high jack the thread, I just had to add in an old trick my mom used when we had very little money. :dance:

Oh, and for your hair, always ALWAYS condition it with something! Finger comb, or use a wide tooth comb. Personally I use a wide tooth comb and then a wooden paddle brush (I know, disobeying the "rules" but my hair doesn't break off...). I let it air dry after I put more leave in conditioner, and often put it into either a loose twisted bun or a braid.

Good luck!

redneckprincess
December 2nd, 2010, 02:56 PM
I comb my hair in the shower with a big wide tooth comb and conditioner. When I get out I squeeze all the water out and comb again with a wide tooth comb. Sometimes I brush it with a big plastic brush. I'm just real careful not to yank on any of the hair or possible tangles