PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: oiling hair

IvySchex
December 2nd, 2010, 09:21 AM
Hi, I sure this has been answered before. I actually have two questions.

What kind of oil should I get? I heard people say to use EVOO and coconut oil, but what kind? The kind you cook with? What brands do you guys like?
(Okay, so that was more than two questions ;))
Okay, "second" question: when should I oil my hair? Until, uhh, last week, I rarely used condidtioner. No wonder my hair wouldn't get much longer than waist. But now, I have started CWC. I would like to help my hair as much as possible. I usually wash my hair every 7 days or so. Should I just do a pre-wash? Or do it during the week?Thanks so much for the help!

Ivy

aenflex
December 2nd, 2010, 09:25 AM
I get my coconut oil online at gardenofwisdom. It's organic and unrefined. It smells lovely and works like a champ :) They call it coconut cream though.
I use the more expensive, food-grade EVOO from Publix or the healthfood store.
I also use Camellia which I order from an online store based in Canada. It's called Cherry something, Cherry Tree Lane maybe?
I don't like and don't use jojoba, but that's pretty common to healthfood stores and even some of the higher end groceries carry it.
Good luck!

daaisychains
December 2nd, 2010, 09:40 AM
I use coconut oil it works for everything (Skin, eyelashes, hair)
So it's really handy.
I just used the stuff from my local health store.. If you're wanting to test it out i'd buy a small tub, seriously the stuff lasts forever.

I don't really wear my hair down so usually i pop the teensiest amount on the ends every day just before i put my hair up. Where i live there is loads of snow at the moment so the air is really cold and dry on my hair so i'd rather it was protected :)

Sometimes i do a pre-wash oiling if my hair really needs it and just oil from the ears down usually the night before a wash.

Hope this helps. Happy growing :blossom:

spidermom
December 2nd, 2010, 09:48 AM
I use Spectrum Unrefined coconut oil, which I buy in the nutrition section of a local department store. It's solid above about 75-degrees, so I put the jar into hot water until some of the oil melts down and pour that into a short wide-mouth jar that I keep in my bedroom. The rest I keep in the refrigerator.

The day before or at least an hour or so before I plan to wash my hair, I scrape some up and melt it between my palms, then apply to my hair generously and braid. I really prefer the pre-wash treatment because oil in clean hair attracts too much lint and dust, but many here do apply it to clean, damp hair. I use the CWC washing method and get consistent good results.

Oh, and yes - the oils (EVOO, coconut) are food-grade oils. I always have some olive oil in the kitchen, so if I run out of coconut oil, I use it instead.

thatjengirl1
December 2nd, 2010, 10:25 AM
I've only tried two oils.
Olive and Coconut. i've fallen in love with both of them. I put the olive oil in my hair and leave it for 30 mintutes then wash normally..i do that about 1 to 2 times a day. and the coconut oil i use as my leave in conditioner.

You use oils as much as you feel is necessary . it's not good to go overboard, your whole head will be greasy. a small amount of coconut oil on dry spots really does the trick :)

Arya
December 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
Every time I look at coconut oil in hair places/ supermarket, it says COCONUT OIL!!! and then I look on the back and the ingredients are something like "aqua, petroleum jelly, fragrance coconut". Same with shea. I can't find it anywhere raw, except from the organic food store, where it's like 18 bucks for a small, small jar. Vexing!!

MClass
December 2nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
I'm kind of frugal on certain things. I found it a pound for $5.99 for organic coconut oil on swansonvitamins.com. I order my hair vitamins at the same time and then search for a coupon code (shipping is $4.99) so I like to negate the shipping charges by getting 15% off or sometimes $10 off a $65 order.

They also have emu, jojoba and organic castor oil I buy them all mix it up and make myself some great oils. :D

Every time I look at coconut oil in hair places/ supermarket, it says COCONUT OIL!!! and then I look on the back and the ingredients are something like "aqua, petroleum jelly, fragrance coconut". Same with shea. I can't find it anywhere raw, except from the organic food store, where it's like 18 bucks for a small, small jar. Vexing!!

Kaijah
December 2nd, 2010, 03:58 PM
1. Coconut oil is still my favorite. I use Nature's Way Extra Virgin Coconut oil, I bought it at Whole Foods for something like $9 for a 16 ounce tub. Here's a listing on iHerb (http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Efa-Gold-Coconut-Oil-Organic-16-oz/4567?at=1) for it. I've also heard a lot of people give good reviews of the virgin coconut oil from Nutivia and Spectrum Organics. I'd just get whatever one you can find. :)

That being said, I also really like sweet almond oil, it's available in most stores cooking sections as well.

2. When to oil is really something you have to experiment with to find your preference, there's not really a wrong way to go about it. I oil my freshly washed hair, AND I oil again once it's dry. My hair can take a lot of oil without looking greasy, though.

ETA: Heidi's oiling tutorial (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71)

Anje
December 2nd, 2010, 04:46 PM
Yeah, don't look in the hair section. Go over to the cooking oils or maybe the organic zone and search through there. Or in Walmart, check among the supplements -- they sometimes have virgin coconut oil there.

Alternatively, see if you can find an Indian grocery store. They usually have coconut oil, such as Parachute (blue bottles). It smells a bit smokey because they use dried coconut instead of fresh (which is used for virgin), but it works well and lots of people like the smell. Keep an eye out for Vatika oil there, too. It's coconut-based and well-liked for hair. Unlike the Parachute, I wouldn't suggest eating it, though.

Arya
December 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Indian Grocery is such a good idea! I live downtown, Walmart is a 45 minute busride. Thanks! ^___^

christine1989
December 4th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I would start with coconut oil (I get the whole foods brand) or olive oil if you want to spend less. My BIG mistake when I first used coconut oil was using too much and in the wrong places. You should start with only a few drops (dime amount at the most) and focus on putting it in the ends. If you get it on your scalp it could make your hair look greasy. I usually wash and dry my hair then work it in to the ends so it can stay in until I wash again and my ends can get the full benefit.

mali
December 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hi, I sure this has been answered before. I actually have two questions.

What kind of oil should I get? I heard people say to use EVOO and coconut oil, but what kind? The kind you cook with? What brands do you guys like?
(Okay, so that was more than two questions ;))
Okay, "second" question: when should I oil my hair? Until, uhh, last week, I rarely used condidtioner. No wonder my hair wouldn't get much longer than waist. But now, I have started CWC. I would like to help my hair as much as possible. I usually wash my hair every 7 days or so. Should I just do a pre-wash? Or do it during the week?Thanks so much for the help!

Ivy

EVOO can be quite heavy sometimes.You can use refined or unrefined coconut oil,they're both practically the same thing and very good for hair.The kinds you cook are the main ones,or coconut body butter( I wouldn't recommend this one,tough)
I congratulate you on washing hair once a week.If I could only last 5 days..:rolleyes: Oh well.I recommend oiling hair pre-wash,altough many LHC-ers had really good results applying coconut oil to damp hair.
Cheers!

Roscata
December 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
What kind of oil should I get?
I personally love coconut oil the most. It's been proven to penetrate the hair shaft.
Other favorites are Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil.

What brands do you guys like?
Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QDRJXY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p325_d1_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=094EJ7FH638ZD46AH2YT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846) is the kind I use.

Okay, "second" question: when should I oil my hair?
Coconut oil is great for a pre-wash overnight oiling, it protects the hair.
Also after washing when your hair is dry or wet. Just remember a little goes a long way. It is solid at room temperature so just rub it in your palms until they have a shine to them but not until they look too oily and the add it on for extra shine or to trap the moisture in when the hair is already damp hair.

Here are some link to polls which might help you decide what to try. It really depends on what your hair likes.
When do you oil your hair? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7162&highlight=oil+poll)
What is/are your favorite oil(s)? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45883&highlight=oil+poll)
What is the best hair oil for Length? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=58765&highlight=oil+poll)

*edit* There is no difference between the oil you use to cook and the one you use on your hair. It works either way just make sure it's not expired.

ChloeDharma
December 4th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Indian Grocery is such a good idea! I live downtown, Walmart is a 45 minute busride. Thanks! ^___^

Buying coconut oil at the Indian grocery store does work out cheaper but i would stick to the two that Anje mentioned. Most of the other brands are refined, bleached, deoderised (RBD) and although some people notice no difference i very much do between RBD and virgn coconut oil.

Ok, to answer the OP, there is no best oil really but coconut does seem to have alot of fans. For me, i love it but i also love oils like sesame, sweet almond, jojoba, avocado, camellia, shea butter and lots more besides. That's without starting on formulated oils with herb extracts, essential oils etc.
The advice i usually give is start off cheap, stick to pure oils so you know what is having the effect on your hair, then try a few giving each a couple of weeks or so to gage how your hair reacts to it.

When to oil....again, very much varies from person to person. Some only like to use them as a light leave in conditioner after washing the hair. Some do light applications each day between washes, and some like to smother their hair and scalp in oil the night before (or at least an hour before) washing.
Findng out what YOU like is the key but the only way to do that is to experiment. Initially i would do a light oiling soon before you plan to wash anyway in case you use too much and want to avoid the greasy look. Once you get used to how much you can apply before looking greasy you can start playing more with them.
Personally i use them lightly on damp washed hair, daily on hair between washes and heavily smother my hair and scalp for a day or two before i wash it off.
That said, i am a HUGE fan of oiling! ;)

IvySchex
December 7th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Thank you, everyone, for replying!

That was a huge help! I haven't gone anywhere that has the coconut oil, but we will go to Whole Foods soon and I will look there. I do have some EVOO, so I might just try a little of that until I get some of the Coconut oil.

Thanks again for giving me lots of great ideas!

Merry Christmas,

Ivy

lajsa
December 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I tried olive oil at first, but probably it was not real EVOO since it was some cheapo random brand my dad used for cooking... ^^ But anyway, I found it a bit too heavy for me (I've got straight, not overly thick hair, so it looks greasy and limp pretty easily), even if I wasn't really the dosage pro back then. The first oil I got for myself was a bottle of sunflower oil. I've no idea if it's supposed to have some special benefits for hair but I like it. It's lighter than olive oil, so it fits me pretty well.
Today, though, I got myself a jar of coconut oil. Sadly, I had to buy this HUGE jar since the first health store had run out, and the second one only had one single jar left. This will last me forever :D Who knew people in this town apparently bought so much expensive coconut oil from the health food store... :p

When I apply my oil, I use as little as I can. When it comes to my liquid sunflower oil, I find it hard to get a small enough amount out of the bottle, but usually I just smack my palm over the opening, flip the bottle upside down, let a little get on my hand, and then turn the bottle right way again. This usually gives me a pretty perfect amount; I spread it in my hair from about the ears down, paying special attention to the ends. I do my oiling on both dry and damp hair, I don't really notice any difference, personally. :p

feralnature
December 7th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I use "LouAna" Coconut oil from the baking section at Walmart. It is the kind you cook with in a white plastic jar. Cheap and lasts a really long time.

terrylillyd
December 8th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Virgin Unrefined 100% Pure Organic Coconut Oil is what you want.
I am getting my oils on ebay. There are some pretty good deals for good quality oils. This is the coconut oil I buy and it works great. It is only $6.50 plus $4 shipping for 12 OZ.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150403781780&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

IvySchex
December 8th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks so much for the replies!

I tried some EVOO ( I don't have any Coconut oil yet) on the ends of my hair. I felt that I used a lot and it still wasn't too heavy or even greasy looking. I think my hair is pretty heavy, maybe that helped.

Anyway, I then also put it on the damp ends after I washed my hair. It seemed just fine. I will try to keep the ends oiled, as I know they are not very healthy. I have rarely used conditioner over the last 4 years, but I haven't used harsh chemicals or washed the ends.

Thanks,

Ivy

monsterna
December 8th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Anyone ever put some of the coconut or other oils in a spray bottle and spritzed it over their hair?

pinchbeck
December 8th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I use refined coconut oil purchased from an east Indian store because it is very affordable. Since I am cheap, I don't buy organic coconut oil that smells delicious (and I may not necessarily want to smell like coconuts all of the time). Coconut oil is a great aid for stubborn snarls.

Also on my list of oils is babassu (smells kinda strange) and jojoba oil. I switch it up for something different sometimes, but always seem to go back to coconut oil.

When I rinse out my shampoo, I occasionally lift my hair up so the suds don't go run down the length unless it is pre-oiled (not much 'length' anymore as it was five inches longer five months ago, but due to a 'high end' stylist having his way with my hair it is quite short and I won't get into how I struggled emotionally with this!). When I lift my hair up I don't feel the need to condition before I wash, thus saving product which my toddler likes to squeeze down the bathtub drain.:)

einna
December 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I just tried EVOO. Slept with it over night, and washed it out using the CWC method and conditioner in dry hair for 10 minutes before showering. Worked great, thanks so much for the tip people :)

pinchbeck
December 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Anyone ever put some of the coconut or other oils in a spray bottle and spritzed it over their hair?I used to mix jojoba oil with water or floral waters and spritz it in my hair (adding different yummy smelling essential oils). Since my hair isn't that long anymore, there is no need, but when it gains substantial length I will spray the lower half of my hair.

Due to the nature of coconut oil it I don't think it would mix well with water unless it is fractionated.

Anje
December 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Anyone ever put some of the coconut or other oils in a spray bottle and spritzed it over their hair?
It works OK with liquid oils, but unless your house stays really warm, I wouldn't suggest doing it with coconut oil. It'll solidify in the mechanism of the squirt bottle, and then you have a dead squirt bottle.

(Can you tell I learned that one the hard way?)

On the other hand, putting a bit of liquid oil, water, and maybe some aloe gel in a little spritz bottle works well. You can shake it up and spray it a bit to get a really light distribution of oil.

pinchbeck
December 10th, 2010, 09:46 AM
It works OK with liquid oils, but unless your house stays really warm, I wouldn't suggest doing it with coconut oil. It'll solidify in the mechanism of the squirt bottle, and then you have a dead squirt bottle.
This is why I suggested fractionated coconut oil. It won't clog the squirt bottle up. You probably didn't see I wrote that, however, because I think a lot of people don't read posts before posting a comment (I know I sometimes skip this step!). But I wonder if fractionated coconut oil looses some of its 'good' properties?

ETA: The OP can take advantage of the 'search' option. There are many threads about hair oiling and some of them are long which means there is more info to take in and more to learn. It's great!

Anje
December 10th, 2010, 10:07 AM
This is why I suggested fractionated coconut oil. It won't clog the squirt bottle up.
Yeah, sorry... I missed your post. I shouldn't be posting and trying to do 5 other things at once, I suppose.

Not that oil mixes much with water ever. In my experience the problem has more to do with coconut oil solidifying in the spray bottle.

einna
December 12th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Can coconut oil in wet hair encourage curls/waves? I just did that for the first time (well second, but the first time I used way to much and ended up with greasy hair, and did a treatment instead).
My hair is super wavy right now, nothing but coconut oil in it. It also sticks together in "wave clumps", but I havent brushed it, so thats to be expected. It has never been this wavy without me working hard for it! :)