PDA

View Full Version : CO - greasies/build up/clarafying?

daaisychains
December 2nd, 2010, 09:16 AM
Firstly, sorry for the spelling mistakes!Hopefully this will be a case of LHC to the rescue once again.
:)
Basically i've been CO-ing for the last 6-8 weeks, my hair has never been healthier and it works perfectly. However recently i'm noticing what i think is a bit of builup. I noticed it two washes ago so i thought right ACV rinses prior to CO usually works that will get rid of it.

So that's what i tried this morning with my wash. I did the same method for both ACV and CO as always hoping for some improvement. However during my final rinse the hair at the back of my head felt like it was coated.. i ran my nails along it and there was stuff under my nails (just clear/very slightly white coloured- couldn't really see the colour too well as the shower was steamy). So i rinsed some more.. My hairs all dried now and it looks great apart from the fact that i have some greasies/build up at the back of my head. :confused:

I really don't want to use a clarifying shampoo as i'd feel like i'd ruined my progress but ACV isn't working for me. :( Is there any alternative methods?

ps apologies, i always write super long posts. :blossom:

LaurelSpring
December 2nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
This is one of the reasons I always have to give up on CO unfortunately. It will be ok for a couple of times then I get gunky. You can try Baking Soda. That might help. I was also wondering if I diluted the condition if that would help things. Sorry, I guess Im not alot of help but hopefully there will be some responses that might help me also.

daaisychains
December 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
It's been perfect up until now.. hopefully this is just one little blip in the road and once it's fixed i'll have a near perfect routine.

Sorry to hear about your CO experiences :(

spidermom
December 2nd, 2010, 09:55 AM
CO more than twice in a row was awful for me (limp and dull hair, itchy and gunky scalp), so I have a CWC routine with pre-wash oiling now and get consistent good results.

As suggested, baking soda (also awful for me) dissolved in water and poured slowly through your hair and over your scalp might help. You might use a shower comb to comb scalp area only while or after you do this to loosen any "stuff" (skin cells, sebum).

Deborah
December 2nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
As an experiment I dumped about a tablespoon or two of baking soda in with my conditioner for COing some while back. My hair came out nice and clean, shiny, etc., just slightly dry on the ends. I put a teeny bit of shea nut butter on the last six inches and all was well. Unless your hair is extremely dry and porous I don't think baking soda is a problem. I'd use it to clarify rather than reverting to shampoo for sure.

Chiara
December 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
I also have pretty fine hair and I also experience significant build-up with CO. For this reason, I now use CO and WO washing as a way to stretch out my shampoo washes. So I shampoo once a week, and then in the middle of the week I'll do a CO or WO wash, depending on how my hair is looking (CO is more cleansing then WO). This way I get the benefits of less shampoo use, but avoid the build-up issues.

liagibba
December 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
I third (fourth? fifth?) the use of baking soda. I did it the other day and it was great! Just remember to do an ACV rinse afterwards to restore the acidity. :)

Anje
December 2nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
Honestly, if you're not allergic to shampoo, I'd suggest using that over baking soda. Baking soda's harsher than shampoo is for most folks. Using shampoo to clarify occasionally will not automatically bring back all the constantly-shampooing badness you may have experienced, but it makes a nice "reset" for when hair starts to get gunky from CO. One shampooing every 6-8 weeks is less drying than shampooing every day or two. You can go right back to CO afterward.

If you still feel like you need to make it up to your hair, how about a clarifying wash followed by a nice long soak in condish or SMT to moisturize it?

jeanniet
December 2nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
I've used baking soda in conditioner with good results; however, I would strongly advise against using a lot of it until you know how your hair reacts to it. Try 1/4 tsp. first. What I did was put a couple of tablespoons of conditioner in a bottle, add the baking soda, and then add distilled water to make about 8 oz. Heat it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to help the BS dissolve, and then shake it really well before using.

I really like using BS, but for me the trick is not to use much at all. Generally I only use 1/8 tsp.

sleepingIn
December 2nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
one shampoo to clarify is not going to set you backwards in your journey with CO. You may have build up - sebum, skin cells, etc.

CO stopped working for me actually, despite my best efforts. CWC works consistently whereas I never knew WHAT to expect with CO (limp? dull? lifeless? greasy? or pretty today?)

Carolyn
December 3rd, 2010, 05:52 AM
I'm going to go against the majority and advise in favor of a clarifying shampoo. I've tried baking soda and found it much harsher than a commercial clarifying shampoo. It really dried my hair out. Clarifying shampoo never does that. I always follow a clarifying shampoo with something deeply moisturizing like a SMT. I don't think you will set your progress back.

daaisychains
December 3rd, 2010, 06:45 AM
Okay so i'm going to go with Anje purely because i've always trusted her methods (because she's scientific about them!) and shampoo once every 6/8 weeks.

I have to baby my hair like crazy because it gets ridiculously dry so BS is probably not the best idea until i get my hair 100% virgin again.
I'll probably have to use some sort of clarifying 'poo just now though.. i only washed it yesterday and it's already greasy, ah frustration.

Carolyn
December 3rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
Have you tried switching to a different CO conditioner? Some work better than others.

tigerlily38
December 3rd, 2010, 07:34 AM
I am using Suave daily clariying shampoo

Anje
December 3rd, 2010, 07:38 AM
Okay so i'm going to go with Anje purely because i've always trusted her methods (because she's scientific about them!) and shampoo once every 6/8 weeks.
Well thanks... :o
I don't see myself as all that scientific in my haircare methods -- I get distracted and need to try new things a bit too often. But I'm a science nerd in general... The above advice is personal experience from me and a host of other people: baking soda is harsher than clarifying shampoo. Besides, if it's not fully dissolved, it's also abrasive, which is something hair most definitely does not need!