PDA

View Full Version : No Heat Hairstyles

allmixedup88
December 2nd, 2010, 06:32 AM
Hello-

Does anyone know any rockabilly/psychobilly/pin up yada yada no heat hairstyles??
My hair is a mix of 2c/3a & between SL & APL

Thank You :happydance:

aenflex
December 2nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
I've never heard those terms? Ha ha maybe I am too old?? :) Can you be more specific?

bumblebums
December 2nd, 2010, 09:06 AM
Do you mean a pompadour? You can curl your hair using rags, etc., which would make it poofier. Alternatively, use a hairpiece/rat to prop your hair up.

milagro
December 2nd, 2010, 09:16 AM
I guess OP means those neat big curls and ends-up styles. Could be done with rollers, clips and lots of styling gel.

allmixedup88
December 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
I've never heard those terms? Ha ha maybe I am too old?? :) Can you be more specific?

1950s/vintage lol

1hunky5monkeys
December 2nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
you might find some on youtube :)

allmixedup88
December 2nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
I tried searching on youtube & it made me 1/2 lose my mind, lol :headache:

1hunky5monkeys
December 2nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
Like this?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=_rl3w6g1CGc

allmixedup88
December 3rd, 2010, 04:57 AM
There was no video it sent me to a weird page..... lol

enfys
December 3rd, 2010, 07:06 AM
You might find some that are no heat, but how do you feel about backcombing?

Almost all vintage styles will need teasing or rats, as in something to pad out quiffs etc. Even those often need backcombing to conceal.

UltraBella
December 3rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
I actually specialize in vintage and pin up hairstyles, and I have never ever back-combed a client's hair. A lot of it consists of smoothing the hair out, rolling and pinning. You can get a ton of volume and height rolling the hair properly. I would suggest pin curls are some other type of heatless curl to start and then watching some great YouTube videos. I know a search turns up so many videos it can make your head spin, but some of them are amazing and really worth watching.

enfys
December 3rd, 2010, 08:06 AM
That's good to hear; I know my older aunties would tease their hair regularly, and you see it in many magazine scans from the time too.

Do you rely on curly to give height or do you say make standing pin curls to then cover with hair?

bumblebums
December 3rd, 2010, 08:14 AM
That's good to hear; I know my older aunties would tease their hair regularly, and you see it in many magazine scans from the time too.

Do you rely on curly to give height or do you say make standing pin curls to then cover with hair?

Both are done, as well as using rats. My grandma's hairstyle heyday was in the 50's, and she stuck to it for life. She had rats lying all over the house (seeing those things scars you for life, I'm telling you :) ). She had old-fashioned rats that you make out of your shed hair. They can certainly give you height, but they have to be pinned in place so they don't slide out, and they must be covered carefully. You can also use pin curls and then cover them, but they can fall, especially if your hair is in the 1 range.

allmixedup88
December 3rd, 2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I will def. try pin curls :-)