PDA

View Full Version : Did any of your family/relatives have long hair?

Dreamkitty
December 2nd, 2010, 05:13 AM
I think it is interesting when you look at your family tree and research who had long hair. Not just immediate family but aunts, cousin, great uncle or aunt etc.

:DSo I began asking my mum and dad questions lol.

My dad said my great aunt had knee length hair and was a tall woman. I have never seen her in my life.

I was watching some old wedding videos, my mum & dad's wedding video, my aunts from my mum and dad's side. They all had long hair upto their waist or hips as did my mum.

I guess back then people had long hair more and it was in fashion, most of the people I listed above have now cut their hair.

:) That inspires me maybe I can reach a longer terminal length then I think but it also annoys me because im stuck at APL-BSL and I can't predict what my length will be.

milagro
December 2nd, 2010, 05:27 AM
My mom used to have BS to waist long hair. One of my grandmothers had straight thigh-length hair till the end of her life (and didn't care about it particularly for all I know!), the other had various short styles. All my grand-grannies have long hair done up, in photos.
Up (or is it down?) the family tree all my female ancestors had long hair, of course, for it was the custom, but I know nothing of their hair in details :)
I think healthy long hair is never out of fashion. Good luck with growing yours!

pepperminttea
December 2nd, 2010, 06:38 AM
My mother had hair long enough to sit on at one point, but I can't think of anyone else.

dropinthebucket
December 2nd, 2010, 06:52 AM
My grandmother hennaed, and had hair down to her ankles - she put it in two braids, then stacked it on top of her head in a beehive (well, it was the '60s!) - then at night, she took it down. She hennaed well into her 70s, so her hair was shockingly neon orange in the last decade she wore it that way. :D

Copasetic
December 2nd, 2010, 06:54 AM
I can't think of a single person in my family with hair longer than BSL.

enfys
December 2nd, 2010, 07:55 AM
My mum and one aunt had long hair in the 70s, about waist length. My mum regrew hers in her 50s but has since cut it again.

Her grandmother had extremely long hair that she never saw down except once, when my nana was washing it and my mum came home from school early.

I don't know about my dad's family, but I don't think any of my aunts his side had long hair.

My sister had TB hair but she cut it into a bob to look more like her husband. Umm...

I assume past family members had long hair but I haven't known any in my lifetime except my mum and sister.

Madora
December 2nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
My dad was from Ecuador and once told me about 2 of his aunts that had braids down to their knees (this was pre 1915).

My maternal grandmother had a wealth of red hair, which I've only seen in an updo (dated 1909).

I guess long hair love is in my genes!

CastaDiva
December 2nd, 2010, 08:59 AM
The only one in my family that I knew had long hair, was my fathers grandmother. I`m not sure how long it was, I have only seen pictures of her, but judging by the size of the bun she always kept her hair in, I`m sure that it was pretty long:)

spidermom
December 2nd, 2010, 09:04 AM
My grandmother (mother's mom) had hip-length braids all her adult life, which means her hair must have been about the same length that mine is now. She never ever cut it, so that was her terminal length.

allmixedup88
December 2nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
yeah everyone including my dad, lol.

Tatybird
December 2nd, 2010, 09:51 AM
My two grandmothers had long hair all their lives. All their sisters also had long hair. At this time in my country (Belarus/Russia) women were wearing mostly long hair. And they wore it usually in buns.
My mom had classic hair length till mid-70s, then she cut it short and since then has been wearing it short.
My sister has always had her hair long (classic).
My longest hair was BSL. I hope one day I'll get it back to this length and maybe even longer:)

mrs_coffee
December 2nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
I have one picture of my great-grandmother and she has beautiful light colored hair put up into a big, fat bun in the back. No idea how long her hair was, as anyone who might be able to tell me is no longer living.

natt i nord
December 2nd, 2010, 10:08 AM
No, not really. My mother's hair was around BSL or midback (don't know exactly) when she got married to my father, but she cut it into a pixie sometime around my birth. A few years ago she decided to regrow and now it's a bit past shoulder length.

Currently I've not got the longest hair I've ever had and I'm still growing.

lunalovegood
December 2nd, 2010, 10:14 AM
I've never seen any pictures of my mum or aunt with hair longer than shoulder length, and my mum has had short hair since well before I was born. My grandmother has had short curly hair all her life, I think. Those are my only close female relatives. I'm bucking the trend. :D

Angeletti
December 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
I'm the only one of my sisters who takes after my mom in the hair department, she always had long hair that was very fine and straight when she was young, I wish she still had it as long I would love to have another long hair in the family.

Issmene
December 2nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Nobody really does, maybe except for my aunt, who has hair between BSL and WL. It's kinda fried by bleach though :( I don't have nieces or sisters though, so there is a lesser chance xD

Coan-Teen
December 2nd, 2010, 10:41 AM
My sister keeps her hair fairly short, around SL. So does my mother. One of my cousins had long hair when we were young, somewhere around waist, I think, but I haven't seen her for over a decade so no idea how she keeps it now. All my older female relatives have poodle hair. Short and permed. :D

sarah061
December 2nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
My sister has BSL hair that's gorgeous, even though she straightens and blowdries it every day - I seriously can't understand that.

But other than her, everyone in my family has always had short hair. My mom, my grandmother, my aunts - they all have pixie cuts.

People say that my great-grandmother had "long hair" - when I ask them how long, they say just past her shoulders, haha!

share801
December 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Nope, grandma, mom, aunts, cousins, SIL shorties.

Artsy
December 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
My grandmother hennaed, and had hair down to her ankles - she put it in two braids, then stacked it on top of her head in a beehive (well, it was the '60s!) - then at night, she took it down. She hennaed well into her 70s, so her hair was shockingly neon orange in the last decade she wore it that way. :D
I had both grannies henna their hair. Also both kept it in super high updos. One stopped henna in the 80s and cut her auburn locks. The other one kept hennaing until the neon orange stage:) I have never seen the length, but they inpsired me to try hennindigo:)

akuamoonmaui
December 2nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
Nope. I have a second cousin that consistently has hair bsl or longer, but that's it.