PDA

View Full Version : Dangers Of Long Hair

Dragon
December 2nd, 2010, 01:04 AM
I just found this site and it’s very interesting

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/438899/the_dangers_of_long_hair.html

Does any one else have any others that hasn’t been mentioned on this list?

Juneii
December 2nd, 2010, 01:20 AM
It's pretty funny when people ask me how do I take care of my hair and not get it caught.. it becomes second nature to watch where your hair goes after getting it pulled a few times. :) The author listed almost every excuse someone gives me to convince me to cut my hair.
Forgot to mention our own limbs though, can't tell you how many times during the summer my hair gets caught near my armpit area because I was sweating too much.
Thanks for the article, it was interesting.

SpeakingEZ
December 2nd, 2010, 01:41 AM
That was pretty funny. I'm glad the article wasn't attacking long hair so much as describing what its challenges are.

One it missed: keep it away from your pets, specifically cats and rabbits. Cats will claw it and bunnies will chew it--and they cut hair faster than a scissor-happy stylist.

KittyLost
December 2nd, 2010, 01:44 AM
Interesting. I had never thought of the swimming drain one.

Igor
December 2nd, 2010, 02:05 AM
Articles like this makes me wonder how the author is able to tie her shoelaces or work a door knob.

What if *gasp* she wore some loose fitting clothes? Or left the house without a safety helmet and protective goggles on? She would probably break her neck!

luxepiggy
December 2nd, 2010, 02:15 AM
Articles like this makes me wonder how the author is able to tie her shoelaces or work a door knob.

What if *gasp* she wore some loose fitting clothes? Or left the house without a safety helmet and protective goggles on? She would probably break her neck!

No no, she'd never forget to wear her neck brace! (^(oo)~)

Hehe . . . I'm so easily amused (^(oo)^)

I must say she seems to have missed the most obvious ones (i.e. the ones that have happened to me :p) - the air intake on the hair dryer, chair backs at the theatre, round barrel brushes, gum . . . younger siblings . . . :rolleyes:

Igor
December 2nd, 2010, 02:19 AM
No no, she'd never forget to wear her neck brace! (^(oo)~)

Hehe . . . I'm so easily amused (^(oo)^)

I must say she seems to have missed the most obvious ones (i.e. the ones that have happened to me :p) - the air intake on the hair dryer, chair backs at the theatre, round barrel brushes, gum . . . younger siblings . . . :rolleyes:
Well, I have to reluctantly give her credit for not having listed that you need to move your hair out of the way when you sit on the toilet.

You know, that’s where you with your hands take your hair and then move it away from the porcelain bowl. Of course you have to do it before sitting down so you don’t trap it under yourself. And then you can’t spread your legs and look down while you do your business because the hair will fall down there. Oh, and you have to make sure not to confuse your hair with the toilet paper, that is very important too!

Honestly though, I think it simply slipped her silly little mind to list that obvious danger

:rolleyes:

eternallyverdan
December 2nd, 2010, 02:27 AM
If you have the IQ of a rutabaga, I suppose that these things could be dangerous. Of course, if you're that stupid you probably aren't allowed out of your padded room.

I'm not saying these things never happen to smart people, I'm just saying that this list is pretty ridiculous.

maria_asa
December 2nd, 2010, 03:56 AM
I agree with Igor and eternallyverdan. It's not exactly rocket science to figure out that you have to watch where your hair goes :rolleyes:

akurah
December 2nd, 2010, 04:17 AM
Ha, it sounds like she wrote it trying to convince herself not to grow her hair long...

Other things she missed:
Cleaning litterboxes
Sitting on it or others sitting on it
Getting trapped in bras (more danger to the hair than the person but annoying nonetheless)
Doorways

leslissocool
December 2nd, 2010, 04:33 AM
Lame! Why are people so threaten by the Idea of an updo??? Come on, you get your clips or in my case my sticks, and you put it up when you are going to do something dangerous like working on cars. Or in my case, taking care of my hair pulling babies. Just out of sight, out of mind.

Juanita
December 2nd, 2010, 05:17 AM
Because I guess people with short hair don,t think about that we might like our hair long so we can do different styles. It's not just for being worn down,
Also the swimming pool drains like the one she means are extremely dangerous. They can disembowel a small child if they sit in them.

enfys
December 2nd, 2010, 06:22 AM
I think the only one of those I've done is the hanger one, but if you work ina shop you willget caught on parts of it. I didn't stop wearing cardigans after shutting my cuff in the till.

Most longhairs I know have a clip or band with them 24/7.

Viechen
December 2nd, 2010, 06:31 AM
Personally I think if this arctice was intelligently written it may have some form of truth to it. Unfortunately the wording sounds like it was put together by a five year old that never leaves her house. I really do not mean to offend anybody but I think this is the kind of person that would find some sort of 'grave danger' if you were simply sitting on a sofa. "long hair makes you more likely to get hit by lightning" or something...
I think the comments of sites like this are always funny to read :P

pepperminttea
December 2nd, 2010, 06:41 AM
Every list like this I read assumes long hair is worn down all the time. Why no love for updos?

sherigayle
December 2nd, 2010, 08:15 AM
The writer obviously doesn't have sex. Definitely some hair disasters there. I've had it caught in the seatbelt and in the car window. I zipped a couple of strands into my son's coat once. Recently, I was helping my kids get ready for bed and leaning over to help my 5 year old put his pajamas on. I stood up and my hair was caught under my arms from all the static. My shoulders were up to my ears and it looked like I had 2 feet of hair growing from my arm pits. It was a long time before we all stopped laughing and got the kids into bed that night.

Themyst
December 2nd, 2010, 08:18 AM
I don't know how many times I've tucked some of my hair into my jeans while getting dressed. Call 911 and shave my head! lol.

Akiko
December 2nd, 2010, 08:32 AM
Hmmm. What she needs to learn is to put her hair up.

Our hair grows so slowly. We learn how to deal with it on the way to long hair. I, too, have experienced some mishaps here and there. But it has never been like, "Oh no! My hair is getting caught left and right all of a sudden! It's so dangerous!"

This lady does not seem to have gone through learning process?

LaurelSpring
December 2nd, 2010, 08:35 AM
I've noticed there has been a learning curve as my hair has become longer. I did have to start putting my hair up before cleaning the litter box doing any cooking and going to the bathroom (well its up most of the time now except for the s*x one and I take my chances). The blowdryer one is something I noticed and have to be extra careful with. Your hair is down then. I usually just blowdry on low in the winter but it did attempt to suck a few strands. I remember at work I always shuddered when I looked at the shredder.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2010, 08:37 AM

Yes, it's so over the top, overly dramatic, overly simplistic. There's hardly any insight into the true danger of long hair. A better way of putting it would be: "hair that isn't put up and out of the way". Most of the true danger of "hair that isn't put up and out of the way" probably has to do with operating heavy machinery. Unless your hair's but a few inches, there's always going to be some danger around with hair that's down.

If you have the IQ of a rutabaga, I suppose that these things could be dangerous. Of course, if you're that stupid you probably aren't allowed out of your padded room.

I'm not saying these things never happen to smart people, I'm just saying that this list is pretty ridiculous.

LOL!

And: true!

Unzadi
December 2nd, 2010, 08:57 AM
:sighs and offers writer of article some hairsticks: Updos, madam. Updos. Braids, ponytails, scrunchies, stuffing hair down back of shirt...

Anje
December 2nd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Add to her list anything in an industrial or research environment.

Of course, the author of this article apparently is unaware that hair can be contained, worn up, etc. It takes our special secret ninja skills of putting hair up to avoid such hazards.

Angeletti
December 2nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
I agree with the last few posts, hair should be kept up when doing a lot of things that were mentioned, especially if your going to be working on the car or something like that because I'm not really interested in my hair dragging around in the oil and grime of the engine.

spidermom
December 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
There's that crack behind light switch covers; I've had it grab a few floating hairs when I walked by. Ouch! And hinges on cabinet doors. More good reasons to have hair up when you don't have the time (or mental capacity) to pay attention to it every second.

YesitsReal
December 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
You know, I wonder if this lady recently got hair extensions or something. It sounds like she might have, because these problems she's having seem to have snuck up on her all of a sudden. Or, at least, that's the sense I get from this article.

Wind Dragon
December 2nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
The author's a guy and has never had long hair, ever. Geeze, give him a break. People with two-inch-long fingernails know how to keep them away from stuff too, but try growing them for the first time and see if you don't run into some unpleasant surprises. :p

faeflame
December 2nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
It takes our special secret ninja skills of putting hair up to avoid such hazards.

Love it-- hair ninjas!!!

pixistixx
December 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
what! how did cats not make the list, they do lots of grabbing and chewing damage, especially while you are asleep.... vacuums and gas grills didn't make it either, guilty of both! with the gas grills though, eyebrows and eyelashes are also hazardous, arm hair too ;)

IStand4u
December 2nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
:eyebrows:She also forgot the whole getting your hair caught in your winter coat buttons (don't ask), getting it in your food, the intake on the blow dryer (mentioned already), doing your make up, sewing, getting ready for competitions (this is mostly for dancers who put their costume on and then their hair up), as well as putting neclaces on, working in a grocery store, changing a babies diaper... etc... the list just goes on and on, and well if you aren't "used" to hacing long hair and don't know that you need to move it out of the way then you either should cut it back a bit (IMHO, it's safer and less painful, and only a little bit), or wear it up! Hehe! :eyebrows:

Oh yes, and riding a bike or doing turns for dance! You can poke your eye out unless you have awesome break-proof glasses that you can't see without! :cheese:

princessp
December 2nd, 2010, 05:54 PM

Lol, too funny!

spidermom
December 2nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
The author's a guy and has never had long hair, ever. Geeze, give him a break. People with two-inch-long fingernails know how to keep them away from stuff too, but try growing them for the first time and see if you don't run into some unpleasant surprises. :p

Seconding this. I think long-term long hairs forget some of this stuff. I was absolutely shocked the first time my hair got snatched up in the seat-belt mechanism because I'd had short hair much of my life; never imagined that would happen.

enfys
December 2nd, 2010, 06:06 PM

How do you know they're a guy?

I looked at their profile and didn't see a gender specified. AL could be initials as easily as it could be a name.

The strapline line of the article was "If you have long hair, this is a must read". I think that sounds like it's aiming it at the wrong people. "If you want long hair, this is a must read" may have made more sense.

Rebelkat
December 2nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
Oddly enough, I've never really had a problem with any of those, even when I wore my hair down all the time. Then again, I'm an extremely cautious person, so that could be why.

Nae
December 2nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
The worst thing I ever heard, danger wise was in second grade, there was a girl named Cammie and her mom died. Later I overheard my parents talking about what happened. Apparently she had really long hair and worked at a factory, somehow her ponytail got caught in the machinery and she got pulled in. I remember clearly my father saying, "They say her head was crushed like a grape." That was the scariest thing I ever heard as a kid I swear.

The article was a little silly but there are definate dangers to long hair. *sighs* Haven't thought about Cammie in a long time.

AnnaJamila
December 2nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
A lot of these things can happen to arms and legs, too. Hey, wait, LETS ALL BE AMPUTEES!!! :D

Wind Dragon
December 2nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
How do you know they're a guy?

I looked at their profile and didn't see a gender specified. AL could be initials as easily as it could be a name.

The strapline line of the article was "If you have long hair, this is a must read". I think that sounds like it's aiming it at the wrong people. "If you want long hair, this is a must read" may have made more sense.

You're right, and after looking closer I think I was wrong there, and AL is female. I think I've otherwise gone stupid, though, because I don't see that strapline you referenced. I stand by the rest.

ellen732
December 2nd, 2010, 07:27 PM
I had a client years ago whose hair got caught in one of those super powerful hand-held vacs while she was vacuuming her couch. She said her hair was hanging down but not all that close to the vac, but the vac sucked it up anyway. She lost about a half dollar size chunk of scalp as well and had to get stitches, ouch!

enfys
December 2nd, 2010, 07:27 PM
You're right, and after looking closer I think I was wrong there, and AL is female. I think I've otherwise gone stupid, though, because I don't see that strapline you referenced. I stand by the rest.
The strapline was on the link to the article on their profile page.

I've never had short hair or two inch long nails so I can't comment on that comparrison :p

lillylonghair
December 2nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
I didn't read through the comments so I don't know if any has already said this but small children are a danger to long hair! My DD is 16 months and she always gets her fingers snarled in it and loves pulling my little baby hairs.

EdG
December 2nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
The items on that list are fairly obvious.

The good news is that in the time it takes to grow long hair, one would have already learned to avoid all of those hair hazards and probably more.
Ed

2peasinapod
December 2nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
I totally agree with all the comments. The whole time I was reading the list, I was thinking "that can be avoided by wearing your hair up". For every single item!

triumphator!
December 2nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
What's really sad about this article is the quality of writing... what happened to good journalism?

HoneyJubilee
December 2nd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Washer/dryer and dishwasher doors, really? I think I've probably caught my hair in house doors, cupboard doors and even the refrigerator door, but I'm pretty sure it's never been slammed in the dishwasher door! I shut my fingers (and toes and even my whole head) in more doors than I ever shut my hair in (yeah, I'm super smart and coordinated sometimes).

joiekimochi
December 2nd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Clearly she has never heard of hairsticks and hairforks.

Wind Dragon
December 2nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Okay, who wants to drop her a link to TLHC? :twisted:

ETA: Wait, that article's three years old. She may be here by now.

Charlotte:)
December 2nd, 2010, 09:08 PM
Haha, this list just sounds a bit paranoid to me. I almost have tailbone length hair (and it used to be longer when I was a child) and I have NEVER had problems like these. I also wear my hair down most of the time.
P.S. Does any of this remeind you of "The Incredibles" when the lady is explaining why superheroes shouldn't wear capes??

tigerlily38
December 2nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
I have one that isn't mentioned... it is the leafblower. Also if someone uses a blowdryer, hair can be caught in those lil fans sometimes.

adiapalic
December 2nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
Using the litho press when you're pulling an edition of prints!

... Of course, all of these dangers could easily be avoided by a simple, quick updo with some sticks or a fork! ;)

leslissocool
December 2nd, 2010, 11:53 PM
Okay, who wants to drop her a link to TLHC? :twisted:

ETA: Wait, that article's three years old. She may be here by now.

Or her long hair adventure ended tragically if she never discovered updos:rip:

Igor
December 3rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
I should not laugh but...

:rollin:

hela
December 3rd, 2010, 01:32 AM
She forgot the greatest danger of all: Beware when you get off the train, your hair is likely to get caught between the doors and you could get pulled to the next station or die a terrible death!:couch:

Seriously, though, this article has to be a joke

enfys
December 3rd, 2010, 07:08 AM

I shouldn't laugh either, but when I say LOL I actually mean it this time! Not quite ROFL, but a definite LOL :lol:

Eireann
December 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
I love the first comment from Nadia B.