PDA

View Full Version : How does protein effect your hair?

rena
December 1st, 2010, 11:24 PM
I am in the beggining stages of choosing a sham/cond that works best for my hair, and already know that I benefit from no sulfates, CO washing, and the ocasional cone from time to time...

But how about protein? I have heard all sorts of stuff about it, from good things to really bad. My main goal is to decrease my volume (because i really do have too much) and think I have read somewhere that protein is all about thickening and volume, which I could do without. I'm not sure what exactly protein in hair products like conditioner or shampoo is supposed to do, but if it makes hair bigger, either yours or hair in general, tell me please :)

I really appreciate it!

rena
December 1st, 2010, 11:27 PM
P.S I would like to know especially because I'm thinking of tryng this brand of sulfate/paraben free sham/cond, but it has protein it.

Jenn of Pence
December 1st, 2010, 11:31 PM
That is very interesting about the volume......

I suspect that protein makes my ends super crunchy and terrible looking. Of course, before LHC, I wasn't paying attention to ingredients like proteins and wasn't conditioning nearly enough or clarifying at all. So, I've been completely avoiding the proteins and adding lots of moisture and degunkifying every month or so. But I have indeed noticed that my hair seems a little flatter lately, maybe in the last month or so.

I think that if your hair likes proteins and you hydrate it really well afterwards, it'll be fine. I may have to consider adding a bit more protein into my hair "diet" in the future to see if it does make a difference for me. :)

little_cherry
December 1st, 2010, 11:35 PM
The only way to know is to find out. :) Sometimes my hair loves it, sometimes it doesn't. I always need to do this in order:
Clarify->protein->moisture

I do this once a month to make my hair happy.

luxepiggy
December 1st, 2010, 11:43 PM
Protein doesn't affect my volume, it just makes my hair crunchy and dull, and also a bit tacky/tangly. Not good! But I have 1a hair, so not sure if the effect will be the same as yours . . . you may want to check out this article on signs of protein overload, so you can be aware of what to watch out for: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17

rena
December 2nd, 2010, 12:35 AM
Hmm, you know, a few of these symptoms sound strangley familiar from when I was just carelessly grabbing shampoos and condtioners off the shelves, totally oblivious and unconcerned about what was in them...Thanks a bunch for the link to that article!

rena
December 2nd, 2010, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I also used to not pay attention to the ingredients, and just kinda used what looked most interesting or smelled nice...Big mistake!

Hope the protein works well for your hair :)

MandaMom2Three
December 13th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Protein makes my hair frizzy and poofy :p. It USED to like it though!