PDA

View Full Version : ''All about hair dryers(& why you MUST go pro!)''

mali
December 1st, 2010, 03:47 PM
What do you think of this video? Click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW72Y1YZXtE&feature=sub). Do you think te woman is right or wrong?

spidermom
December 1st, 2010, 03:52 PM
I'm sure it's a step up from a WalMart cheapie hair dryer, but I don't think it's all that.

chopandchange
December 1st, 2010, 03:58 PM
I only lasted about 10 seconds before closing it.

She uses the words "shinier and healthier," but her hair doesn't look very healthy. It looks rather dry. Also, she has about a gazillion products behind her.

:eek:

Does she really use all of them?

enfys
December 1st, 2010, 03:59 PM
I think she's right.

A hairdryer with features like a cool shot are better for your hair than ones without. Negative ions are good for you and can even help with depression; they appear naturally in a lot of areas that they found had significantly lower suicide rates.

CaityBear
December 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM
I can see where some of it comes from, but in the end it still damages your hair.

Overall, I don't care how "pro" or how expensive it is, it still isn't going to make my hair "healthy". I have seen some people's hair look really good after blow drying it or flat ironing it, but then it doesn't stay like that. Overtime it still damages their hair.

spidermom
December 1st, 2010, 04:01 PM
I think she's right.

A hairdryer with features like a cool shot are better for your hair than ones without. Negative ions are good for you and can even help with depression; they appear naturally in a lot of areas that they found had significantly lower suicide rates.

Of course you can get inundated with negative ions every time you stand in a shower; you don't have to plug in an appliance.

My old, cheapie hair dryer has a cool setting AND a cold shot button.

Roseate
IME, there's a big difference between a really cheap hairdryer and a decent one, but not as much difference between a decent one and a high-end one.

You can spend about 40 bucks (less on sale), and get all the features you really need (independently adjustable heat/air speed, ionic/ceramic components, sturdy design). The 100$+ models don't seem to last longer or give me discernably better hair. Of course, now that I don't dry my hair regularly anymore, my current dryer will probably last the rest of my life!

enfys
I only lasted about 10 seconds before closing it.

She uses the words "shinier and healthier," but her hair doesn't look very healthy. It looks rather dry. Also, she has about a gazillion products behind her.

:eek:

Does she really use all of them?

Probably not, but she sells them. And hairdryers.And other hair related stuff.

ETA: Spidermom, I know they are everywhere. I was just trying to point out that negative ions are good for people, regardless of where they're from.

My drier was a gift, so I don't know it's cost. It's Remmington so not the cheapest and certainly not the priciest I'd guess.

lapushka
December 1st, 2010, 04:13 PM
You don't have to get a professional dryer to get most of those features. A lot of hair dryers these days have most of those features (ion setting, ceramic, cool shot, separate speed & heat settings).

christine1989
December 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM
I like the promise of "less time drying your hair" but of course I know that means hotter air :(.

Synthemesc
December 1st, 2010, 05:01 PM
Total nonsense, I reckon. We were given ridiculously expensive dryers in our hairdressing kit for college. I can get the same effect with a cheap dryer that has a cool setting. All about how well you use it, IMHO.

Eireann
December 1st, 2010, 05:06 PM
The hair stylist I used to go to (before I moved and grew out my hair) said the main difference between an expensive dryer and a cheap one is that the expensive dryer is more durable and last longer. That's important to pros who use it all day every day. For an individual, if it has the features you want, then it's probably good enough.

TrudieCat
December 1st, 2010, 05:44 PM
I agree that the dryer features discussed in the video do seem to make for a better blow dry (er, that sounded weird, please don't misunderstand me or anything :p). But like others have said, many non-pro dryers also have them. I didn't watch the whole video so maybe this was mentioned at the end, but the type of motor a drier has can also affect its price and pro dryers tend to have sturdier motors that stay cool to the touch, which are more expensive.

Also, your blow drying technique and the difference or lack thereof between your natural texture and the texture you're going for will make a big difference to your final look. I have yet to have had a truly sleek blowout done in a salon, even with a professional blow dryer and products, and I think it has a lot to do with my hair's incredibly stubborn waves and coarseness. I've seen gorgeous sleek salon blowouts so I know they exist. :)

I might be in the minority but I didn't think that woman's hair looked bad. :shrug: It just looked heavily styled but that doesn't bother me. What bothered me was her inflection and the way that she made a lot of statements sound like questions. Made me think of The Hills.

redwoman
December 1st, 2010, 06:04 PM
My opinion is hot air is hot air and the package is just the package. I don't use hair dryers myself so I don't have to get all tangled up in ions and ceramic. I think it is all just a selling gimmick. To each his own.

pepperminttea
December 1st, 2010, 06:58 PM
My honest reaction?

What a lot of rot. :rolleyes:

tigerlily38
December 1st, 2010, 07:35 PM
I think blowdrying is terrible for hair

Lamb
December 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM
My hairdrier cost a whooping $20 at the drugstore. It has 3 heat settings from cool to hot, 3 strength settings from low to high, and a diffuser.

Works fine as long as I put a hairnet over my hair first. :shrug:

luxepiggy
December 1st, 2010, 07:56 PM
Personally, I AVOID buying professional hair dryers because they're way too high powered. Even the lowest setting is generally too hot for my liking. As someone who rarely meets an expensive product without purchasing it (hence my username!), I have zero desire to purchase a professional hair dryer. I'd rather have a cheapie one that's underpowered so the "low" setting is comfortably warm.

Granted, I blow dry every time I wash my hair - because honestly, yes, it does make my hair noticeably shinier and smoother. But, I've pointed my cheap Revlon hair dryer (which I've had for over 5 years, has a perfectly functional cold shot button, and cost me $20) directly at my indoor thermometer for 5 minutes. It didn't even go past 80 degrees F, which is the only reason I've been able to use it on a regular basis for so long without frying my hair into luxe bacon (^(oo)^)v