PDA

View Full Version : Sister surprise and jealousy!

spitfire511
December 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM
After Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's, we were chatting and I asked her to take her hair down.

She has had long hair for some time and just basically ignores it for 2 years at a time, then whacks it off and starts all over.

But when she took her pony down, her hair was WAIST!!!!!:agape:
When I started talking to her about using some hairsticks for some nice updos and maybe some braids, she said that she didn't know how and had never heard of hairsticks (how is this possible???). That's why it's in a pony - every - day.

So I linked her to some tut's on u tube and also tried to guide her in the direction of LHC.

I doubt that I'll ever get her to join, and if I can persuade her to learn a simple English braid it will be a miracle, but I'm going to try - because I'm so jealous!! She should really be doing some of these cool updos that I'm not long enough for. (Can I live vicariously through someone else's hair?) :)

Just thought I'd share with the only people I know who would care.

vanity_acefake
December 1st, 2010, 03:37 PM
So that's the secret. Just ignore your hair completely!
I'm jealous too!
:)

cmnt831
December 1st, 2010, 03:53 PM
Oh my gosh, your sister sounds just like me. I followed that same pattern for a few years before finding this site. Haha, there may be hope for her - I found LHC last January and now I don't want to leave. I've even learned updos besides ponytails and hairsticks are now a staple. :D

spitfire511
December 1st, 2010, 03:59 PM

No kidding! Although I guess I should qualify - her ends are toast. She really needs a trim. She waits so long and it's been known to get so ratty that her teenage sons beg her to go get a trim. :doh:

I just ordered 10 plain wood hairsticks from etsy, so I think I'm going to gift her a few for Christmas. :)

CaityBear
December 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM
The first time I had long hair (around waist) I didn't know anything about hairsticks or any updos. I think I just left it down all the time? Oh, and while growing it, I wasn't really honestly trying so it was kind of the ignore thing. Then I chopped it off to chin length and started again with the "ignore, just feel like letting it grow) then around BSL I actually started to try...and found here and all these awesome hair toys and updos! :)

christine1989
December 1st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Its stories like this that make me glad I have no siblings to be jealous of :). Maybe I should just ignore my hair for the next 2 years. Lets see....that would put me at around classic.

princessp
December 1st, 2010, 05:44 PM
I'm not surprised I completely understand your sister. I've always had BSL- waist length hair that I did virtually nothing for. When it got too long I'd give it the old chop. Not to suggest I'm not learning a lot here. But I came here last Spring to learn about henna and ended up learning a whole heck of a lot more--so here I still am. My hair has always grown really well and always been fairly healthy (lots of compliments). This place is teaching me to care more though (maybe even obsess :) ). But there definitely is something to the benign neglect thing (maybe the best thing is neglect and a good chunk of LHC knowledge in your back pocket).

ETA: But I should add, I am looking to go beyond waist this time. For this, I think LHC is invaluable. One of the main reasons I would chop is that me (or my partner) would roll on my hair at night (ouch!). Now I have learned about night caps so I won't have that trouble this go round. I think anyone (who is not terminal before waist) can grow their hair to waist easy enough. But I am thinking it might be difficult to have nice healthy hair beyond waist/hip without a little more knowledge/care.

luxepiggy
December 2nd, 2010, 06:15 AM
I'm jealous too!
:)

It is indeed - then one day you sit on your own hair and wonder when it got so long (^(oo)^)