PDA

View Full Version : to cut or not to cut...

mizsunshyne
December 1st, 2010, 01:08 PM
Pardon me while I whine just a bit :O
I've been wearing my hair up since the day after I got a cut I didn't like 4 months ago. Here it is the beginning of Sept:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/MizSunshyne/IMG_0016.jpg

and here it is this month:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/MizSunshyne/8-November28th10.jpg

I really don't notice too much of a difference and I still hate it the way I did immediately after it was cut.
Here's the front:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/MizSunshyne/7-November28th10.jpg

I am tempted to cut it to my chin to get rid of the layers, but if I cut it and hate it even more, I won't be able to put it in a ponytail. Maybe if I just cut that bottom layer out of the back?

Maybe I should stop being a baby and just wait it out? :D I don't know. Any hair advice?

juliesglory
December 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM
Oh please don't cut any bit of your gorgeous hair! It is so pretty the way it is, I promise you will enjoy the length very soon! I advice you to leave it alone, put it back if you have to !!

lapushka
December 1st, 2010, 01:25 PM
Looks like you're just about past the awkward stage, or getting there, so I wouldn't cut it any shorter than this. I'd even up the layers when there's more length to it. It looks great, BTW (those layers are cute)!

aenflex
December 1st, 2010, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't, but that's just me. It's a great style for your face, IMO, and your hair is getting toward a nice BSL. I'd leave it :(

mizsunshyne
December 1st, 2010, 01:33 PM
Thank you from keeping me from the scissors! I guess it's time to buy some toys and experiment. Can you notice any growth in the pics?

growing2shine
December 1st, 2010, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't cut either. :D

Clarisse
December 1st, 2010, 01:50 PM
I like the layers in the front, but it looks odd in the back. I think I’d cut just the weird layer in the back, and then wait for it to grow longer before cutting the rest.

aenflex
December 1st, 2010, 01:54 PM
Yes you had some growth. Your ends are fuller and a bit longer. I mean not crazy growth but really how much can we realistically expect in a month or two? I think what you suggested it a great idea, get some toys, you are def. a point where a fork or ficcare should work nicely. 6 more months and you won't even remember today :)

Dragon
December 1st, 2010, 01:55 PM
I don’t think you should cut it. It looks fine the way it is. And I can definitely see a little growth.

thatjengirl1
December 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM
I would not cut it at all. I would wait a few more months and see how you feel about it then..

spidermom
December 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM
I can see growth as well, and the style looks good on you (but I do understand being disappointed that it didn't turn out like you want). I wouldn't cut it to even out the layers. Remember - you are going to shed out hairs every day, and new hairs are going to grow in every day. So whether you cut or not, you will never have all-one-length hair; nobody does. Just do small trims at the bottom every couple of months to maintain some thickness at the ends and you're good to grow. (P.S. - you'll be able to do even less with your hair if you cut it to chin length, and it will take a year or more to get back to where your length is right now)

jojo
December 1st, 2010, 02:09 PM
STEP AWAY FROM THE SCISSORS you dont need to cut, all you will achieve to delaying the growth, eventually you will get back to this stage and cut again, grow back and cut ...see where im going? you are past the horrible stage, longer lengths are so close now and it will get so much easier, hang in there it takes patience. Get your pretty hair tied up and forget about it xx

principesse
December 1st, 2010, 02:09 PM
Not to cut! Your hair looks beautiful and I think that, if you want to grow it long, cutting it to your chin would really set you back. Just try to be patient and let it grow. Every few months, you can get a little trim and that would both slowly even out the layers and keep your ends healthy. You won't regret not cutting it.

StephanieB
December 1st, 2010, 02:15 PM
I would not cut that longest layer - or anything else!

I suspect that if you cut that back layer, you'll have to cut it all the way to what appears to be the next layer - leaving your hair length at just brushing past your shoulders. Or close to it.

A cut like that is what I got the last time I let my hairdresser do more than a dusting - and it's a million angled layers, cut at angles to frame my face... so none of my hairs is the same length. (Or they weren't... by now they've grown in and I've had her dust off the longer ends regularly to even it all up a bit.)

Your hair looks good, and good on your face, so I hope you leave it alone... just let it grow out, if you don't like the layers.

mizsunshyne
December 1st, 2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the input!

That weird top layer is razored so it will flare out. Does this ever grow out? I was thinking of maybe just getting that part fixed so it goes in or stays straight along my hair at least?

enfys
December 1st, 2010, 02:32 PM
I think it's at a length where having those defined layers looks good. I'd really hate for yuo to cut then feel your hair is too heavy looking or something.

I've never had my hair razor cut so I don't know if it will lay down in time, but I've read a lot of people here say they have experienced more splitting over those areas because of the difference if hows scissors and razors cut the hair. If you decide to get that fixed (not sure how?) then have it cut with scissors.

GuardGirl
December 1st, 2010, 03:05 PM
I think if you wait it out you will be much happier with yourself in the long run. Once it's cut, you cant tape it back! Might I suggest letting it grow until your bottom layer hits BSL then start getting bi-monthly trims off the bottom to gradually even it out?

DecafJane
December 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
I would wait it out. I cut to my chin and regret it immensely.

Valdeon
December 1st, 2010, 03:18 PM
I'd cut off the bottom layer. Been there, done that. Those layers can be really annoying on 1a\1b hair, truly :pins:

redwoman
December 1st, 2010, 03:31 PM
Don't try to fix anything. It looks fine the way it is. Put it up and forget it for 6 months then start trimming 1/2 inch at a time to even it out.

vanity_acefake
December 1st, 2010, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't cut it any more. If you hate it now, cut it then you will have to regrow it through this stage again. And if you hate it shorter then you will be upset for ages growing it out again.
Think positively (I know it's hard). You have cut off any damaged hair, your hair now is much healthier and it will grow. As you said treat yourself to some beautiful hair toys and experiment with the length you are at now. And if your anything like me by the time you have mastered updo's at this length you will find to your delight that your hair has grown lots and you can learn more updo's to add to your styles.
Hang in there. Your hair is looking very beautiful just now, super healthy and it will grow.
:)

autumnchild
December 1st, 2010, 03:47 PM
I think that you should leave it and not cut it. I certainly KNOW what it is like to not leave happy from a salon. I just would not want you to be even more upset because of all the lost length, by cutting it to short, by the way I think it looks nice:flower: and it will be a lot easier/quicker to grow it from this length, don't do anything that you could really regret.
Best Wishes !!:)