PDA

View Full Version : went to the hairstylist and guess what...

Ranee
June 3rd, 2008, 03:35 AM
I was getting a bit bored with my hair so I'd been contemplating face framing layers for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I decided to go to the salon. I told her to not cut off to much in the front. After I told her that she cut off to much in the front, leaving me with a very small amount of hair in the back (grrrrr!) I had a few hairs left at tailbone-lenght and the rest was all at my shoulders. No need to say that that looked silly. After I got home I took the scissors and cut wat was left back to waist-lenght. It still looks silly, but I don't want to cut off more. I worked so hard to get everyting at tailbone and one hairdresser ruins years of special care and growing in no less then 10 munites. So now I'm starting over at waist-lenght. Once I reach tailbone I'll wait for the layers to grow out, which wille take me about 5 years. Sorry for the rant. But I figured you were the only ones who can understand my frustration. Enyway, thanks for listening.

Chrissy
June 3rd, 2008, 03:55 AM
I'm sorry this happened. This is a story I hear all too often. Since I moved back to Ohio I got my old stylist back. Yes!! I was with her for 10 years before I moved to AZ. I hated leaving her when I moved. Now that I'm back I have her. She has always listened to me in what I want. She is the only one I don't sit in the chair in fear with. I wish I could clone her and give her to you. I'm really sorry you lost so much length and I hope it grows back quickly. Luckily your hair is still very long but loosing that much hurts I'm sure.

lilalong
June 3rd, 2008, 03:57 AM
I'm really sorry.
I have decided to self trim only in the future.

30isthenewblack
June 3rd, 2008, 04:59 AM
It's these type of stories and my own horrible hair experience where my virgin hair which had never been cut or coloured or seen a hairdresser was shaved at the back of the head & the longest layer was 5 cms when it was straight. Ain't it bad that my hair was terrible. I'm never going to get a hairdresser to trim my hair ever again.

Katze
June 3rd, 2008, 05:09 AM
sorry this happened to you!

Trimming your own hair - even bangs and face-framing layers - is really not hard. I've been doing it for several years now, and many others here much longer. So next time, hopefully, you can spare yourself the grief.

Anyway, by normal standards, waist is still very long and a length many of us still only dream of, so there's that. :flower:

Katze

FrannyG
June 3rd, 2008, 05:18 AM
There are so many excellent haircutters out there, so it always makes me feel so sad when I read a story like yours. I had 2 or 3 really bad experiences when I still went to salons, but I probably had 100 good experiences.

It really pays off to know what a hair stylist's work is like before going to them.

I'm really sorry for your bad experience. I do know how frustrating and painful it is.

There really are no words. I'm just so sad that you went through this. It's too early to tell you that it will indeed grow back and for you to believe it, but I'm going to tell you anyway.

It will grow back. And after this dreadful situation, you will appreciate every inch of it more than you ever have before. :flowers:

Mary <><
June 3rd, 2008, 05:22 AM
I need to go get a microtrim but stories like these are really making it hard for me to pick up the phone and make the appointment. So sorry about your bad experience.

Ranee
June 3rd, 2008, 06:36 AM
Thanx for all the kind replies. :)
I've actually considered doing it myself. But I was afraid of doing a bad job and figured that a stylist could do a much better job. A well, as most of you guys said: it will eventually grow back. If a ever get the idea of going to a hair stylist again, I'm counting on y'all to slap some sense into me :p
Meanwhile, I'm trying to make the best of it. It's a pity that this happens so often to many longhairs. Wouldn't it be great if we would have our own longhair salon, with only longhairs for stylists? :cheese:

Florida Mom
June 3rd, 2008, 06:42 AM
I'm so sorry Ranee. HUGS

Patrycja
June 3rd, 2008, 06:46 AM
oh no! I really hope you get your hair back the way you want it :flower:

SHELIAANN1969
June 3rd, 2008, 06:51 AM
First off, I am so sorry to hear this happened to you, it truely pains my heart when I hear these stories, why can't anyone listen and do as requested anymore?

That's like going to an auto shop for an oil change and coing out with a new paint job! Arghhhhh

I am so scared to cut/ trim my hair, the only way I would go to a stylist again is the one who lives where I used to live before I moved, but I would have to take a whole day off work, drive 60 miles round trip and with gas etc, that would be 100$ haircut with time missed off work!

I am going to have my old man trim mine up when I feel the need.

Right now I have s&d'd a couple of times getting maybe 15 little split ends each time but, it strains my eyes and I can never really see the splits when I have scissors in my hand, but if I were out and about, in full sun, I would spot 20 of them, as soon as I am home, poof, they're gone. Go figure, they're hiding from me, little tricksters.

One day I may be brave enough to do a self trim :pray: but it will have to be a day when I am calm, cool, collected and have time to spare with no interruptions, and my old man at the ready!

I haven't cut/trimmed in a year, the last couple dustings were from my old stylist and they were 4 months or so apart, over a year ago, I am surprised my hair isn't a total disaster, I can thank LHC for all the Tender Loving HairCare Tips for that though!

I don't know what I was thinking before I found this place! :grouphug:

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all their tips and info, I have a happy head of hair !

noelgirl
June 3rd, 2008, 07:03 AM
Right now I have s&d'd a couple of times getting maybe 15 little split ends each time but, it strains my eyes and I can never really see the splits when I have scissors in my hand, but if I were out and about, in full sun, I would spot 20 of them, as soon as I am home, poof, they're gone. Go figure, they're hiding from me, little tricksters.

That always happens to me! I always notice splits when I'm at work or somewhere - but as soon as I get home and can S&D, they run away and hide. grrrrrr.

Anyway, Ranee, I'm really sorry to hear that your stylist didn't listen. Sending good growth vibes your way.

Marysmirth
June 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'm sorry for your bad experience. You reinforce all the reasons why to avoid salons that are not tried and true long hair friendly.

Islandgrrl
June 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Ranee...I'm sorry this happened to you. :(

k_hepburn
June 3rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
I'm always puzzled by how this can happen. I can - rationally - understand a hairdresser not being competent, and the cut ending up uneven (had that). I can understand the "I just know my standard techniques, so I won't be able to adapt to longer hair needing to be handled more gently" (had that). What I cannot understand is a hairdresser being told clearly and straightforwardly what a customer wants, then going on to do the things the customer has expressly stated she did not want. Like if you hired a painter to re-do your office in off-white, to come back and find your bedroom painted bright orange. Personally I would have considered that a very risky approach to business.

I'm sorry this happened to you, Ranee. If you can muster the courage to go back to this salon at all, I would strongly recommend you go back and demand to talk to the manager and tell him or her what you told us. You should at least be refunded the money you paid for that haircut, and be offered another session with another (senior) stylist, to fix the look of your hair for the moment. If you can'T face going there, maybe you could consider at least phoning them, or writing them a letter, just stating what has happened, because I really think they ought to be made aware of what that particular employee is doing to their customers.

{{{Hugs}}}

katharine

ladystar
June 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
:flower:I am sorry this happen. I hope you feel better. Waist is still long to me.

havana86
June 3rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Sorry you had a bad experience:-( I keep away from layering my hair, mostly becouse of bad experiences like this. To me it seems like they always cut more than I asked for, (why are some hairdressers so eager on the scissors?). And as my hair is thin enough as it is, I don't really need any more help thinning it.

But besides this, you do still have long hair! You are at waist no less, and your hair will continue growing. Those five years are nothing hun'!;) It just means you will spend more time here with us on LHC, figuring out how to get there! We are with you:-D

Hope you're feeling better soon. Hair is fun to experiment with too! It's just hair. I think it was gutsy and brave of you to go to the salon in the first place!

MakeItADouble
June 3rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
Bummer. I wish your hair a speedy growth back to tailbone.

I got some face framing pieces recently too. Actually, I cut them myself (kind of like long whispy bangs) and when I went for a trim, I told my stylist that I wanted him to blend them in a little more, and not to go any shorter than what I'd already cut. And I asked him to let me know how much he was cutting and where. That way it's kind of like a base outline, kind of?

insideitall
June 3rd, 2008, 12:46 PM
I've never been one for salons. Primarily because I'm cheap and don't like shelling out 15 bucks for them to cut half an inch. And because it's always more like two inches. One time in middle school I went for my once yearly trim, and I asked for angles.. ended up with something called feathers that went clear up to my bangs. It looked horrible and I was so upset my mom made me go tell them.. at least I got my money back. All I know is that since my hair grows so slowly, it was clipped on top of my head for months.. and one day in gym I walked under the net during bball and got hit right on the clip. Hurt like a.. well, I never said I was bright :p

Anyway, once I eventually figured out that my splits were not only right along the bottom, I figured it was even more pointless than usual to go and pay for that half inch. I've been clipping as needed for the last 5 years and I won't ever set foot in a salon again, especially since my hair is now so long. Plus, I always hated how they'd put spray or goo in without asking. I wonder if they're allowed to do that anymore, with so many people being allergic to stuff.

insideitall
June 3rd, 2008, 01:08 PM
I've never been one for salons. Primarily because I'm cheap and don't like shelling out 15 bucks for them to cut half an inch. And because it's always more like two inches. One time in middle school I went for my once yearly trim, and I asked for angles.. ended up with something called feathers that went clear up to my bangs. It looked horrible and I was so upset my mom made me go tell them.. at least I got my money back. All I know is that since my hair grows so slowly, it was clipped on top of my head for months.. and one day in gym I walked under the net during bball and got hit right on the clip. Hurt like a.. well, I never said I was bright :p

Anyway, once I eventually figured out that my splits were not only right along the bottom, I figured it was even more pointless than usual to go and pay for that half inch. I've been clipping as needed for the last 5 years and I won't ever set foot in a salon again, especially since my hair is now so long. Plus, I always hated how they'd put spray or goo in without asking. I wonder if they're allowed to do that anymore, with so many people being allergic to stuff.

spidermom
June 3rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
I'm sorry this is too late to help you, but maybe it will help somebody else. If you want face-framing fringe cut, separate out the amount that you want to have cut and secure the rest back. That is how I did it the first time, and it worked out very well. Most stylists have been taught certain cuts that may or may not have anything to do with what you want. If you get everything else out of the way, they can look at what you want as an individual request rather than go on auto-pilot to a cut they've been taught to do.

Sherri
June 3rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I am sorry to hear this happened to you. Just hang in there and it will grow back.

burns_erin
June 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM

I usually keep a pair of good scissors in my purse and have been known to to split end trims in some very unlikely places. But when the light is good, you do what you have to do.

burns_erin
June 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Sorry, that last post was supposed to include the quote donotation, but it did not work. SO, the first part of my last post was a quoate, then my response.

savi
June 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Sorry that happened to you.. :(

This is one of the reasons why I always bring a picture with me to the hairdressers when I want to change something.