PDA

View Full Version : SMT and white flakes!

jojo
December 1st, 2010, 07:47 AM
Ok ive just done an SMT used a coneless conditioner, aloe vera gel and honey as exact to Snowys recipe, however when I rinsed ive noticed white flakes. What are these, maybe because my hair is darker now and they are more noticeable?

My hair feels as soft as ever after the SMT but just wondering where I went wrong. I used a heat cap for an hour and half could this maybe have caused it? Will they comb out when my hairs dry?

Any thoughts on this please? xx

enfys
December 1st, 2010, 07:50 AM
I've never had that, but the SMT I have on now I accidentally nuked for a minute, not 30 seconds. It sort of curdled a bit, and became seperated with white bits in, so we may be flaky buddies yet!

I'll let you konw how I get on!

Are the white flakes throughout your hair?

jojo
December 1st, 2010, 07:59 AM
Just scattered throughout looks like dandruff but Ive never had dandruff. sort of reminds me when I used a conditioner to make a SMT which had cones, I wonder if I warmed it up too much, I must have given it 30 seconds, maybe its curdled? It didnt look curdled but now im wondering.
thanks, hope your SMT works out well, its a year since ive done one, apart from the white flakes it feels wonderful, makes me wonder why I dont do these more often!

enfys
December 1st, 2010, 08:47 AM
Just scattered throughout looks like dandruff but Ive never had dandruff. sort of reminds me when I used a conditioner to make a SMT which had cones, I wonder if I warmed it up too much, I must have given it 30 seconds, maybe its curdled? It didnt look curdled but now im wondering.
thanks, hope your SMT works out well, its a year since ive done one, apart from the white flakes it feels wonderful, makes me wonder why I dont do these more often!

I've rinsed mine out but couldn't see any white flakes. I put it in a towel pretty quickly though so I may see some later.

Maybe (no science backing this up) something in the ingredients freaked out from being in the cold to being warmed up? It's unusallu cold here in the UK. I used my same conditioner as always, the Boots Essentials 58p one. When I cooled it in cold water before using it, it thickened up a little bbut stayed curdled looking. I'll see how it is when dry...

You're right, SMTs are easily forgotten but sooooooo good!

Carolyn
December 1st, 2010, 08:56 AM
I use at heat cap like you do. The conditioner you used probably just isn't suited for SMT. I've found some aren't. Sorry I can't recall which ones now. I think some will probably brush out when it's dry and if there is any left in your hair it should come out the next time you wash it. It sucks when these things happen! Can you wash again soon?

jojo
December 1st, 2010, 09:52 AM
strange thing is I cant notice them now its nearly dry? will try the boots conditioner next time, thinking of doing this once a week. I love them.

enfys
December 1st, 2010, 09:54 AM
strange thing is I cant notice them now its nearly dry? will try the boots conditioner next time, thinking of doing this once a week. I love them.

Well that's good, even if it doesn't make sense :p

I always use the Boots conditioner; 30 seconds in a microwave gives a smooth mix and smells nice with the honey; I've used some that smell really funky with the honey!

jojo
December 1st, 2010, 11:30 AM
I can see them if i look close but they were more noticable when my hair was wet :P LOL!

little_cherry
December 1st, 2010, 12:18 PM
Some aloe gels have been reported to leave flakies...what aloe gel are you using?

spidermom
December 1st, 2010, 12:26 PM
I always whip my SMT with an egg-beater in a bowl sitting in hot water. It comes out almost like mousse. No white flakes yet.

Gilly
December 1st, 2010, 12:32 PM
I have had the white flakes before, don't really know why but they had to appear on the day I had to wear a black top!:rolleyes:
I don't get dandruff and they went as soon as I washed my hair the next day so it must have been the SMT, its a shame it does that for me as its a really awesome treatment!

akka naeda
December 1st, 2010, 12:32 PM
I get that (using Superdrug condish and no heating) if I put the mix on my scalp. My scalp does not like condish in any form, so I just SMT the length.

Cowgirl16
December 8th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I have gotten the white flakes almost every time I have made SMT:confused: I have tried probably 10 different conditioners with varying results. I even bought new honey hoping that would help. I think I am going to go get a different AVG and see if that helps. Even still I keep doing it even with the flakes:cool: I LOVE how it makes my hair feel!