PDA

View Full Version : Is putting Hot towel on your hair bad?

Dreamkitty
December 1st, 2010, 06:32 AM
Ive read that a hot oil treatment is good for naturally straightening hair. Some techniques involve applying oil and then putting a hot towel on your head. Wouldn't the heat damage hair, is a hot towel same as hot water?:confused:

Igor
December 1st, 2010, 07:17 AM
If it is not so hot that it hurts your skin, then no

A hot towel is as... Hot towel. Taken fresh and hot from the dryer or the heater

Dreamkitty
December 1st, 2010, 07:45 AM
If it is not so hot that it hurts your skin, then no

A hot towel is as... Hot towel. Taken fresh and hot from the dryer or the heater

Thanks, I never used a hot towel on my hair before but I did in my body. It sounds quite interesting though! only downside is towel getting oily lol:)

enfys
December 1st, 2010, 07:48 AM
There's a big difference in what is sounted as "hot" here. Hot water from a central heating system is about 70 C (according to B&Q). A hot towel is not only nowhere near that hot, it also won't hold the heat as long.

I wrap my hair in cligfilm before putting a towel over a treatment.

Dreamkitty
December 1st, 2010, 08:10 AM
There's a big difference in what is sounted as "hot" here. Hot water from a central heating system is about 70 C (according to B&Q). A hot towel is not only nowhere near that hot, it also won't hold the heat as long.

I wrap my hair in cligfilm before putting a towel over a treatment.

Ive always applied hair oil and then washed my hair 4 days after.

Are better results achieved by using a warm towel or clingfilm and applying oil on that day that you are going to wash your hair?

enfys
December 1st, 2010, 08:29 AM
Ive always applied hair oil and then washed my hair 4 days after.

Are better results achieved by using a warm towel or clingfilm and applying oil on that day that you are going to wash your hair?

So you aren't talking about the kind of treatment where you apply oil, leave for an hour, then wash out?

When I do any deep treatment, I wrap my hair in clingfilm to keep it moist (easier to wash out), to keep the heat from my heat in better, and to help contain drips. It also holds my hair in place since I can make a bun or wrap then cover it with the clingfilm so it stay put. Finally, it saves my towels from getting as ruined when I put a towel over to keep more warmth in and catch more drips! I've never looked, but I imagine there would be condenstaion inside the clingfilm!

I always use both together, and warm the towel on the radiator first. Sometimes I use a hairdryer over the whole lot to warm it up too.

I use this method for all deep treatments; SMTs, cassia, cholesterol, anything. I tend not to do as many deep treatments using oil but the techniques are transferrable.

Dreamkitty
December 1st, 2010, 08:48 AM
So you aren't talking about the kind of treatment where you apply oil, leave for an hour, then wash out?

When I do any deep treatment, I wrap my hair in clingfilm to keep it moist (easier to wash out), to keep the heat from my heat in better, and to help contain drips. It also holds my hair in place since I can make a bun or wrap then cover it with the clingfilm so it stay put. Finally, it saves my towels from getting as ruined when I put a towel over to keep more warmth in and catch more drips! I've never looked, but I imagine there would be condenstaion inside the clingfilm!

I always use both together, and warm the towel on the radiator first. Sometimes I use a hairdryer over the whole lot to warm it up too.

I use this method for all deep treatments; SMTs, cassia, cholesterol, anything. I tend not to do as many deep treatments using oil but the techniques are transferrable.

Ive never tried deep treatment before. When I apply oil on my hair and wash it off after a few days it does make my hair feel soft & nourished but if I keep the oil on for too long, it gets absorbed into my hair and then sometimes I have to apply oil on my hair again to make it moist. (Even when I applied loads).

I thought that if the oil is fresh, moist on hair and do a deep treatment then it will produce better results in terms of shine, silkyness.

But thanks for sharing your techinques:). I want to change the way I oil my hair because I think I can benefit from better results if I washed my hair on the day that I oiled my hair and do a deep treatment with it.

enfys
December 1st, 2010, 08:59 AM
I think it is more common that people will do a heavy oiling before washing their hair, rather than doing an oiling treatment afterwards.

I think it's better to apply oil little and often rather than applying lots at once; you're more likely to get greasy looking hair or have the oil transfer off onto other things if there is a lot on the surface.

DARKMARTIAN
December 1st, 2010, 09:08 AM
This thread reminds me of a Three Stooges episode called "Cuckoo Cavaliers" Its an episode where the boys mean to buy a saloon but get a salon instead. They then proceed to TOTALLY destroy three womens hair..:p.

And there is a "hot towel" scene in it as well.

If any of ya'll have 18 minutes to spare sometime....here is the link if anyone would wanna see it....:D

"Cuckoo Cavaliers" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4c4jYnG628)

spidermom
December 1st, 2010, 09:26 AM
Here's a guiding principle in terms of heat: if it's too hot for the skin of your neck, it's too hot for your hair.

When I do a deep treatment, I put a shower cap over my hair, then a wool cap over that, thus using the heat of my head rather than external heat. I wash the shower cap with some shampoo later and hang it to dry. No harm done; no greasies on my wool cap.

littlestarface
December 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM
I love doing hot towel treatments they make the oil penetrate more deeper in my hair. I would do it more often but I just hate reheating the towel when it gets cold.

Dreamkitty
December 1st, 2010, 10:28 AM
Hmm interesting idea spidermom!. I don't have a shower cap but I think I need one anyway, for the days I don't wash my hair. I do have lots of warm hats though.:)

:) For my next wash Im trying heavy oil treatment on the day of my wash or the day before at the very least. I want to see what the difference in my hair will be, since I have always left oil on my hair for 5 days even, the oil just dissapears leaving my hair greasy.

HoneyJubilee
December 1st, 2010, 11:01 AM
I try to oil heavily an hour or two before washing but I've never used a hot towel or clingwrap while I do it. I'll have to give that a try.

When I tried doing a yogurt treatment I tied a plastic shopping bag over my hair (no shower cap) and then wrapped a towel over and it helped to keep my wet head from getting cold but I didn't heat the towel up first.