PDA

View Full Version : Protein Overload...am I doing the right things?

foggybrooke
December 1st, 2010, 05:05 AM
Let me start with a little background. I have been using VO5 products (shampoo & conditioner) for years, alternating mostly between Sun Kissed Raspberry and Pomegranate and Grapeseed Extract. I have had no complaints. I joined LHC and took the newbie advice to keep my same products but switch to CWC. This was a rather big change for me since I had been shampooing regularly (about 5 times a week) but only conditioning every 2nd or 3rd wash. However, I was thrilled with the results. Thinking if CWC is good, I bet CO is great and started doing that. Again, pretty happy with the results in the week or 2 I was doing it.

However, I was still confused over the whole cone issue. I kept reading that VO5 products were cone free but could not find a list that specifically mentioned Pomegranate and Grapeseed Extract and reading that the Sun Kissed Raspberry may or may not have changed formulas (in my head, I am thinking does it or does it not have cones). I try my first SMT with Sun Kissed Raspberry (still confused about it's formula but that is what is mentioned specifically in the recipe). While waiting for the SMT to sit for a while, I make up my mind to change to VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream (I found it on a cone free list).

I do what I am planning on being my last shampoo (thinking I am switching to CO with the Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream) with a bunch (way too much likely) Pomegranate & Grapeseed Extract shampoo, then condition with the Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream. Then I do a few CO with the Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream, then all the sudden I realize my hair is turning to crap (kinda crunchy but not breaking, not soft and smooth like it used to be). I think it took me a little while to notice because I try and wear my hair up in a jaw clip (if I put it up wet) or in a ponytail (when it is dry) and I try not to touch it much otherwise.

I notice that it says something about soy protein or soymilk protein (I can't remember which at the moment) on the front of the Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream bottle and realize PROTEIN OVERLOAD!

I panic for about 3 seconds, then remember I read that I should go back to what used to work. I then CO with the Pomegranate & Grapeseed Extract for about a week. My hair just kept getting worse! Time for a new plan. I read the ingredients, and started thinking that the Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream, Sun Kissed Raspberry and Pomegranate and Grapeseed Extract all had protein!

So, after some searching on LHC I came to the conclusion that Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple conditioner was cone and protein free (please correct me if I am wrong). Yesterday I washed with a baking soda & water mixture and did an ACV rinse, then conditioned with the Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple conditioner. I think my hair may feel a little better (I hope that isn't just wishful thinking on my part). I am planning on doing CO with the Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple conditioner and sticking to that until my hair returns to normal.

Enough story, now time for the questions!
Am I doing the right thing?
Any other suggestions?
Will my hair return to it's normal healthy state? If so, when?

For the record, I do not oil. I was dead set against it when I joined LHC but I am starting to be swayed a little and am thinking I may be willing to try it once my hair is long enough to bun or braid after oiling. I am unwilling to try it before then. (I can't stand the thought of oil on my hair. I am thinking if I could bun or braid it, I may be able to tolerate it.) So, I would appreciate suggestions that do not involve oiling. I do try and stretch time between my washes (whatever the method) and do nightly brushing with a BBB to try and nourish my ends with my own sebum.

Thanks in advance for reading all this and any advice you may have to offer.

Neen
December 1st, 2010, 05:22 AM
I'm not familiar with the products, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing - using a moisturiser without protein until your hair returns to normal. Try doing another SMT but with the Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple conditioner. When your hair does get back to normal you could try alternating between the protein and non-protein containing conditioners and see how your hair responds to that.

Good luck.

Lianna
December 1st, 2010, 05:35 AM
I would advise on learning how to identify cones and protein, so you don't depend on lists someone made, sure it's nice to double check with the list.

These articles are useful for it:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13

Give it a try with oil if you want, it's a pretty common hair care product in many cultures, no need to feel grossed out, if you do. The oil is clean, some people eat oil! :)

clichepithet
December 1st, 2010, 05:53 AM
(snip) Yesterday I washed with a baking soda & water mixture and did an ACV rinse, then conditioned with the Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple conditioner. I think my hair may feel a little better (I hope that isn't just wishful thinking on my part). I am planning on doing CO with the Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple conditioner and sticking to that until my hair returns to normal.

Enough story, now time for the questions!
Am I doing the right thing?
Any other suggestions?
Will my hair return to it's normal healthy state? If so, when?

(snip) I do try and stretch time between my washes (whatever the method) and do nightly brushing with a BBB to try and nourish my ends with my own sebum.

You are doing the right things. Stop the proteins and moisture, moisture, moisture. Your COing is right on with this, especially if it works for you. An extra SMT or other DT wouldn't hurt either.

Lianna is right, make yourself familiar with identifying *cones and proteins, if you are set on avoiding either. Remember that *cones with "PEG" proceeding are usually water-soluble, so it's good middle ground if you don't want to stop them entirely.

Ware the BBB; many of the F's have damage issues with "too much" BBBing. I'd lay off it until you've resolved your protein issue, since now you're more brittle than otherwise. There's an article on preening with just your fingers (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=181), try that route.

If you only clarified with the baking soda, OK. Regular use can oft dry you out.

I've had one or more of my own protein issues, so I know the "ACK!!! *panic*" response, my hair hates, hates proteins. I avoid them like the plague now.

Your hair will return to normal with X-protein, moisture, gentle handling and time. HTH.

aenflex
December 1st, 2010, 11:10 AM
I really hope you reconsider oils. Way back when, I was a bit leery of using oils in my hair or on my skin. Boy am I glad that I tried them anyway. Changed my whole routine in terms of skin and hair, for the better :)

Anje
December 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM
The best thing for me to get over protein-overload is to SMT repeatedly with a protein-free conditioner. Your Suave will work well. Do an SMT instead of a normal CO wash as often as you need to wash or when your hair starts feeling dry, and it'll start to feel great before long.

I'd stay away from the baking soda. Protein overload means dry hair, and baking soda is just more drying. You've washed off whatever excess protein you can at this point (though I would have opted for shampoo, as it's easier on the hair for most folks) -- now you just need moisture until things return to balance.

May I ask where you are? In the USA, I think all the VO5 products are silicone-free, but IIRC, they've got silicones in the UK. Stupid formulation differences!
Unless they've changed it recently, all the (USA) Suave Naturals are silicone-free, and all but Tropical Coconut are protein-free.

HintOfMint
December 1st, 2010, 04:43 PM
Everyone else has great suggestions. The only thing I would add is that it may take a few weeks to get your hair back to normal, so if you don't see your normal hair within a couple of washes, don't freak out. Get lots of moisture and you'll be fine.

foggybrooke
December 1st, 2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks so much for all the encouragement. I will get on the SMT, try and be patient, and work on the courage for some oil experiments.

little_cherry
December 1st, 2010, 06:44 PM
For a protein overload, clarify your hair and follow this with the SMT.

Annalouise
December 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM
I would advise on learning how to identify cones and protein, so you don't depend on lists someone made, sure it's nice to double check with the list.

These articles are useful for it:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13

Give it a try with oil if you want, it's a pretty common hair care product in many cultures, no need to feel grossed out, if you do. The oil is clean, some people eat oil! :)

Thank you so much for the articles.:) I thought I was protein free but the conditioner I use for CO contains panthenol. My ends started getting crunchy and dry and super tangly. It could be the panthenol. Very interesting.

Lianna
December 1st, 2010, 09:53 PM
You're welcome. Your hair will be much softer soon! :flower:

Aurantia
December 1st, 2010, 11:56 PM
I really hope you reconsider oils. Way back when, I was a bit leery of using oils in my hair or on my skin. Boy am I glad that I tried them anyway. Changed my whole routine in terms of skin and hair, for the better :)

This. I found LHC because my hair was a protein disaster -- I didn't know it at the time, only that my hair continued to get worse no matter what commercial product I used. Discovering oils saved my hair.

Keep in mind that oils do not automatically mean "oily hair"; I rub the ends of my hair with EVOO every day and they do not look greasy - they look naturally soft and shiny. It just takes finding the right amount for you. (Also, you can heavily oil your hair at night and wash it out the next day -- all of the benefit without any of the slickness.)

The second lesson in repairing my hair was weening myself off of brushes and combs. This isn't for everyone but you would be amazed at how easy it is for me to detangle my hair with my hands. The adjustment phase -- from brushing to being able to fingercomb easily without thinking about it -- took about a month; I now shudder at the idea of anything but my hands touching my hair.

If you can simply decrease the amount of brushing you do day to day, even if it means switching to a wide tooth comb, you will notice much less damage.

clichepithet was kind enough to link to an article that I wrote about preening :flower:. It was written during my WO phase but can be used whenever and should help acclimating to less brushing. :) Sebum distribution did wonders for my protein overkilled strands.

I could go on ... I agree with all of the good advice already given: lots of Snowy's moisture treatments, no baking soda, less brushing, and research, research, research. Good Luck!

foggybrooke
December 2nd, 2010, 05:10 AM
Again, thank you all so much for your kind words. I am sitting out an early morning SMT right now about to hop in the shower, and head off to work. I am going to stay off the BBB for at least a few days (maybe more). I am working on the preening and think that may be one of the new things that I try that sticks. I have always played with my hair and preening is almost an excuse to play!

I will spend some time this weekend reading about oiling, and put some more thought into that. There must be something to it, since so many of you with beautiful hair swear by it!

I have been trying to do more finger combing and combing with a wide tooth comb but the adjustment has not come easy for me. I have always been a big hair brusher. I had brushes in every room of the house, in the cars, in my desk at work, well you get the idea, everywhere! I love the feel of the brush on my scalp and I love the look of freshly brushed hair. The BBB doesn't give me the same joy as it doesn't penetrate to my scalp. I have completely given up brushing my hair wet since joining LHC. (I used to brush it wet almost daily and realize now the breaking sounds are not normal or ok.) I have a few times brushed my hair when it is completely dry with the best non-BBB brush I have. I need to buy one of those wooden brushes for when I just need to brush. Brushing is a huge stress relief for me and I just don't ever think I can give it up completely. A girl needs at least 1 vice in life. I don't smoke, or drink or do drugs, can I at least brush my hair (when it is completely dry and only on occasion)???