PDA

View Full Version : Egg HEAD!

LotusFIre
November 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I have been putting egg in my hair with my conditioner and I really like how it seems to make my fine hair stronger and very shiny. I heard someone say on here that too much protein can be bad on hair. Why is that, and can using a lot of eggs on your hair be detrimental? better find out now before I start buying eggs in bulk, LOL!

littlenvy
November 30th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Protein can build up and make your hair "crunchy".
But from what I understand the protein molecules in eggs are too big to get into the hair shaft, so you should be safe.
Just in case maybe you should use them only once in a while.

BTW. I really like egg washes. :)

Cleopatra18
November 30th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I dont think regular egg washes will be a problem,especially if you use them with moisturizing conditioners.I totaly recommend you keep doing them.How do you keep them from being too messy?

BunnyBee
November 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
It's more to do with balance. Protein is not bad but too much protein versus moisture can tip the balance and cause crunchy hair. Maybe do a moisture treatment such as an SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) after using protein.

If it's working for you, keep doing it. Kirin's article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17) has great tips on recognising and recovering if/when protein goes bad.

CarpeDM
November 30th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Hi LotusFire,
I have fine hair and my hair reacts very well to protein, the more the better for me. It never gets crunchy or dry, it just gets healthier, has more body and is stronger. I think it depends on what type of hair you have and how it reacts to protein.

pepperminttea
November 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Nothing useful to add on protein, but do be careful about the temperature of the water you wash it out with - a hot shower can cook the egg in your hair! :scared:

LotusFIre
November 30th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Nothing useful to add on protein, but do be careful about the temperature of the water you wash it out with - a hot shower can cook the egg in your hair! :scared:
EW that would be gross!! No problem, I am committed to rinsing my hair in lukewarm or cool water, though I crank the heat back up while the water is not hitting my hair! Anyone else have any thoughts on this subject, ir other ideas for hair masks? I have some avocado left over from dinner, I am thinking of doing something with it but I don't know what?

pastel_cloud
November 30th, 2010, 04:06 PM

I've done that before :cool:

LotusFIre
November 30th, 2010, 04:12 PM

I dont think regular egg washes will be a problem,especially if you use them with moisturizing conditioners.I totaly recommend you keep doing them.How do you keep them from being too messy?
I scramble them up first then pour it onto my hair a little at a time. its pretty think and doesnt drip too bad.
I have never had a bad reaction to protein or panethol. I guess if my hair suddenly is all wack I can't say I want warned :doh:

LotusFIre
November 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
oops I didnt mean to quote peppermint again, just Cleopatra. I wish i could edit!!:mad:

Dragon
December 1st, 2010, 12:28 AM
I find egg works great to use occasionally but if I use it all the time, it makes my hair go dry.

LotusFIre
December 1st, 2010, 12:34 AM
Tonight I mashed avocado and mixed it with egg, applied and rinsed, then used conditioner, but a while later after I got out of the shower my hair felt super heavy , I had to go back and shampoo again :( that makes me mad I was trying not to wash my hair with shampoo much. I'm not really convinced its that bad tho, I'm just experimenting. I need to get a good clarifying shampoo!

Lianna
December 1st, 2010, 05:41 AM
Some people handle/need more protein than others. Those who get crunchy ends can get "hard hair" that leads to breakage, that's the problem with protein overload. Protein treatments often need a moisture treatment after so this doesn't happen. Like someone already said, it's all about the protein/moisture balance in ones hair.

shilpa733
December 1st, 2010, 05:53 AM
even i use eggs for my hair. and you can also use yogurt. its rich in protiens.
though i keep the eggs mixture on my hair for just 15 minutes