PDA

View Full Version : Fine textured people, UNITE!!!

LotusFIre
November 30th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I am still having trouble navigating this site. I typed in "fine hair" but didn't find what I was looking for, so I will post a new one. I was wondering if everyone with fine hair would post a picture, and tell everyone one thing they've learned about taking care of it , or managing it long.

OH, also, how do you add people to your buddies or send buddy requests?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5218969832_1d8220e98e_m.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5218380703_683018348d_m.jpg

LotusFIre
November 30th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Oh sorry, my tip is DON'T RIP THE BRUSH THROUGH IT! I'm sure that is true for everyone, but if you do that with fine texture it tears your hair right up.

HoneyJubilee
November 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I'm a fine hair! I don't have any recent hair photos, though. Actually, I don't think I have any length shots at all, but I'll try to find some sort of photo tonight even if it's old.

My tip is to be careful how tightly you wrap your elastics (if you use them). Having a ton of short broken hairs from pulling too tightly doesn't look that great on fine straight hair (or any hair, I suppose).

As for adding people to your friends list, I think if you visit someone's profile there's a button to click to add them as a friend. I have no idea if there's any kind of friending etiquette that's followed on LHC, though...I haven't wanted to weird anyone out by friending them just because I like their hair but have never really interacted with them, hehe.
Oh! And I just discovered the "social groups" last night while poking at my own profile page, and there is one for fine and thin haired people. You might want to check that out too.

LoveMyLongHair
November 30th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I am fine haired also.......glad to have more here. :cheer:

Dolly
November 30th, 2010, 10:32 AM
As for adding people to your friends list, I think if you visit someone's profile there's a button to click to add them as a friend. I have no idea if there's any kind of friending etiquette that's followed on LHC, though...I haven't wanted to weird anyone out by friending them just because I like their hair

Most people on this board aren't normally "weirded out" like that....I just "friended" both of you!

My tip would be to try deep coconut oiling treatments.....they really do help.....and, if possible, step away from the chemical dye!

I don't have a recent length shot, but it is waist length......here is one of my color shots after my first henna....

Sorry this pic is so big.....still haven't mastered sizing in photobucket....

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/ediefoss/IMG00016-20101029-0745.jpg

Eireann
November 30th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I'm a finey. I don't post pictures on the internet (psycho ex-bf has a way of tracking me down even though I haven't responded to any of his communications in over 10 years), but I'm happy to join this thread!

The things I've discovered that benefit my fine hair the most are:

1. Apple Cider Vinegar rinses to tame fly-aways and improve shine
2. Goody spin pins to hold my slippery whispy hair in place
3. I don't need to condition every time I shampoo. Occasional deep conditioning and light oiling is sufficient. Too much conditioner makes my fine hair stringy and limp

shaybabe8604
November 30th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I just "discovered" that I have fine hair! My hair is thick in volume ( I have a lot of hairs) but fine in texture. I had been using products labeled for "ethnic" hair for years, and I just recently figured out that all that stuff had been weighing my hair down. :( Now I use coconut oil with horsetail and rosemary and it keeps my hair shiny and soft without weighing it down :)

Angeletti
November 30th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Here is my hair in it's natural state, this picture was taken right around Halloween. Don't mind my thin ends, it's from lack of trimming over the years so now that I'm reaching goal I plan on fixing them! As for my advice I would say the biggest thing that has helped my hair was to stay away from anything heat related whether it be blow dryers, curling irons, straighteners, etc.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/12345.jpg

HoneyJubilee
November 30th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Most people on this board aren't normally "weirded out" like that....I just "friended" both of you!

Good to know, thanks! :D
I'm still very new here and and was afraid of offending or creeping someone out.

chelseamichelle
November 30th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I've learned lots of things about my fine hair, the most important being that it really can't handle heat, it can't handle dye and I can only use a BBB to brush it.

I REALLY need to use cones and it absolutely HAS to be tied or braided when I sleep.

All in all, it's just very fragile.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z439/chelseamt/DSC03415.jpg

Angelica
November 30th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I have very fine hair. I have now gotten rid of the static that plagued my hair. I still haven't found my "ideal" shampoo but I use Jasons Thin to Thick Hairspray. It is very soft spray, not like the usual kind and doesn't hold firmly at all, but it is sufficient, I think the spray I use now is what got rid of the static.

I never got on with short hair, but wear it long because I find it easier to manage.

Alix
November 30th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I have fine hair of steel. I can put it through hell and back and it usually bounces back just fine. However, I feel like my hair leans towards the textured end of the fine hair spectrum so that might be why.

YesitsReal
November 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I have fine hair! I (finally) put up an old length shot on my profile. It's down to about BSL now.

As for tips, I guess my main one would be to just not do too much at once to it--my hair splits and breaks if you look at it wrong. Try different techniques and methods on it, but don't overload it, and give it plenty of time between changes.

What's worked best for my hair? Cones, satin pillowcases & scrunchies, updos and braids to keep it from getting tangled, vinegar rinses, a wide-toothed comb, and only combing it when it's dry. I have layers, but I wouldn't recommend them on my hair type. I liked them at shorter lengths, because they seemed to add volume, but now I'm not a fan because my longest layer looks very thin at the bottom. Plus, my self-trims aren't as effective on split ends because the split ends are on all of the layers, not just the longest ones.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find everything you need to grow your fine hair long and healthy! :D

mellie89
November 30th, 2010, 01:31 PM
You can see my hair in my signature. There's also quite a few pictures in my albums, if you're curious.

My "holy grails" are satin pillowcases, cone-y conditioners, clear, SLS-based shampoos, jojoba oil, and cassia. I avoid using heated appliances as much as possible. Also, it's super important to detangle very gently, whether you use a brush or a comb. Fine hair can be very fragile.