PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Mullet Thread

jenwexler
November 30th, 2010, 03:35 AM
I have cut off my hair about 6 weeks ago and I have been in and out of the mullet stage. I have done mini trims that have helped and I have grown out of it for a little while, or so I thought. Now the mullet is BACK and I am really annoyed. I have been hiding it with half up dos and hats. I'd like to wear my hair down without a hat and feel like I look good. My longest layer seems to be a lot longer than my other layers lately and I can't stand it. Has anyone else been in the mullet stage multiple times between trims? How have you dealt with it? Are you in the mullet stage right now?

Unofficial_Rose
November 30th, 2010, 04:17 AM
When I was in this stage I just kept getting the back cut shorter, to match with the sides, to be honest. It is very frustrating :mad:.

But then my hair is fine and rather thin. Other (thicker-haired) people have simply managed to keep on growing until it looks like a long, layered cut. Your hair looks quite thick in your avatar - maybe you could get away with just pinning the sides back until the shortest layers are chin-length?

jenwexler
November 30th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I have a lion's mane practically when I don't have layers. I have so many layers now and it really helps me maintain a heat free hair lifestyle a lot more. I will probably just disguise it more but It is really annoying to have the mullet. The growing was a little slow last week but it's speeding up again so maybe the mullet will grow out better. Anyone have any great half updo styles? They seem to disguise it well.

milagro
November 30th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I know what you mean :) Once I had a pixie cut I had more or less short hair almost for a decade because I just could not live though the most trying stage, it's mostly chin to shoulder length. I got frustrated and just cut it again and again.
I suggest trimming your back layer to form a bob and grow on. Good luck and have patience!

jenwexler
November 30th, 2010, 04:33 AM
My other layers really don't seem to need much trimming so I like to trim just the bottom layer anyway and fix my other layers when they seem uneven. I just don't get why it seems like the longest layer is growing faster than the rest lately.

thisischristine
November 30th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Aww, I've been here more times than I would like to admit! Just keep it pinned up if you can - if you can't you just have to keep trimming the back off. Wearing hats and scarves isn't really an option indoors is it? I always trimmed the back off, but my sister managed to grow it out with no trims by twisting and pinning all over in a sort of messy up do. Because her hair is thick, it actually looked like she had a lot of hair, just pinned up.

mrs_coffee
November 30th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I just got the back of my hair even with the sides a week or so ago. I had to trim it 4 or 5 different times as it was growing out before it finally was even with the sides. I hated losing the length, but it looks a lot better now and I can just let it grow from here.

KajiKodomo
November 30th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I'm in that stage right now. Honestly, I tend to forget that my hair is longer in the back day-to-day. I only realize when I brush or when I'm playing with my hair. From the front, it looks like a short shaggy cut, with the shortest layers reaching eye-length unstretched (almost to lip stretched) and the mid-layers reaching between jaw-length and the base of my neck.

The longest layer is past my shoulders. However, it curls under or out depending on the day, so it tends to look shorter than it is. I think that helps me a lot.

What keeps me going is that I know that my hair will get to the point where I can ponytail all of it quicker if I do not cut the back. If I cut the back, it will take much longer to get to that point.

From past experience, it took me two years to get from a buzzcut to BSL or a tad longer (longest layer) without trimming the back. A different time, it took me two years to get from a buzzcut to shoulder length when I DID trim the back. I've grown out a few times from buzzcuts (this is my fourth time since joining LHC), and I much prefer leaving it alone and letting it grow, and worrying about the layers later. The time that I did trim everything, I suffered for about two years without being able to put my hair in a single ponytail. I could do half-ups after a year, but could not put it all up properly. With not-trimming, I was able to do a single ponytail in about a year, and could get it out of my face and off of my neck. It was much easier to just forget about it and let it grow!

It really comes down to preference. Are you more concerned with everything being one length, or are you more concerned with having longer hair quicker? Layers can be annoying, and so can growing out a bob. It all depends on which is MORE annoying to you.

jenwexler
November 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM
A bob would annoy me more because it will make me feel like I'm starting all over again. I'd rater have a mullet than a bob.

LotusFIre
November 30th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I'm growing out a bob. Do you think I will end up with a mullet? http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5218380703_683018348d_m.jpg

DARKMARTIAN
November 30th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Oh jeeeez......I had a mullet. But that was actually in style when I sported one. But I will tell you this. I had the mullet more because I was then in the process of growing my hair, than out of pure desire....and well.....that was just one of the many trial and tribulations to come. The hair in the back was already beginning to grow but I didnt want to cut it shorter just to avoid the mullet look and keep it in sync with my bangs. So I tried to keep it as "John Taylor from 1980's Duran Duran" as I could....:p

Oh well.....its ancient history now......

Oh.....and how did a hairstyle come to be named after a fish?????

LotusFIre
November 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
My sister has really gorgeous long red hair, and she recently got it cut in what is called an emo mullet or an asian mullet. It looks super pretty though, here's a pic, before and after the haircut.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5218382461_ffc9c38422_m.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5218385095_3c48951f07_m.jpg

KajiKodomo
November 30th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I'm growing out a bob. Do you think I will end up with a mullet? http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5218380703_683018348d_m.jpg

Probably not. It really depends on how your hair grows. If it grows faster in the back, you may end up with a longer layer underneath. Everyone is different, so only time will tell how your hair grows out. :)

dorsetlady
November 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hello Everyone :)

I'm quite new to this website but had to post about this subject!

I know what you mean about the mullet. I had a very short cut and have been growing it for four months and I have a mullet! :( I know I need to get some cut off the back but then I'll lose all the length. It's about two inches past my ears now so perhaps in another few months I'll get some off the back. :scissors:

jenwexler
November 30th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I'm so afraid to cut it off.

Gilly
December 1st, 2010, 01:25 AM
I think mine is starting to go to Mulletland:rolleyes: I am going to start wearing it up in a Stylee so it can't be seen!!:lala:

LotusFIre
December 1st, 2010, 01:37 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTb5cdEYYdWJYTor3PUJI9JQI0e2v2dq Ey-UeMgrQujV29R6FTv
:ohmy: :run:

Gilly
December 1st, 2010, 01:40 AM
:rollin::rollin::rollin:That's funny!!!

LotusFIre
December 1st, 2010, 01:42 AM
Business in the front WTF in the back LOLOLOLOL

jenwexler
December 1st, 2010, 08:16 AM
It's like my last layer had a growth spurt and the rest can't catch up. My ends used to flip a lot and they really looked cool but now my hair is more mullety and boring. I probably won't cut it til February. I seem to have found a place that cuts off exactly what I want. Perhaps I can have it reshaped by a professional again and just continue micro trims in between. I don't want to mess up my next haircut and start all over. Maybe she can help with my mullet by then. When I first came to her she said I was getting a mullet and fixed it.

jojo
December 1st, 2010, 10:03 AM
I remember going through this, I just bit the bullet and put up with it, I never trimmed for 2 years until it was long enough to fit in a pony, with the help of clips of course. It soon passes just ignore it....it will go away! :D

jenwexler
December 1st, 2010, 02:43 PM
I'm doing half up dos for now and I'm hoping rag curls will help distract me from the mullet. I'm finally long enough for at least a bigger flip from the rag curls.

pennyroyal
December 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5269&pictureid=89467

Here's my mullet 9 months into growing out a pixie. i just wear it in a bun everyday & ignore it. I have not trimmed once.

Maddy25
December 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
*shudder* the mullet stage, I think I am at the tail end of it...a little longer and it will just look more like layers. Here is my "mullet" Also 9 months after an untrimmed pixie cut...yay for hair twins with Pennyroyal :happydance:I ponytail mine everyday ;)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/IMG-20101123-00550.jpg

spidermom
December 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
LotusFire, I like your sister's cut! I got trims every 6-8 weeks while I was growing out my pixie cut, so it never got mullet-y. I had a mullet on purpose in the 80s, though. It was called a bilevel cut then.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/80sc.jpg
Stylin!

Coan-Teen
December 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
I had a very short pixie when I was 18. I just bit the bullet and grew out the mullet until I could get it cut into a bob. Even better was the fact that I was growing out dye as well so what started as violet pixie ended up a gray-ish mullet for almost three months. Haha. It sucks while it's in progress but it does pass. Micro trims on the longest layer will definitely help stop it from looking quite so... mullet-y.

jenwexler
December 2nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
So people on another thread say my hair doesn't look quite as mullety as I though....but I still think the longest layer is way longer compared to my other layers. I would love to only trim my longest layer but I have a date next week and I could sure use the length. I'd rather suck it up longer with a half up do than trim away more of my length before the date.

Kosmos
December 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
I actually intentionally had a Ziggy Stardust mullet (bright red) for a good two years. Now I'm growing out after a Mohawk with shaved sides and have reached 'mullet phase.' I'm not bothered in the least by it but I can say not everybody can pull off a mullet.

jenwexler
December 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
Billy Ray Cyrus might have gotten away with it.

maddog_running
December 2nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
I actually intentionally had a Ziggy Stardust mullet (bright red) for a good two years. Now I'm growing out after a Mohawk with shaved sides and have reached 'mullet phase.' I'm not bothered in the least by it but I can say not everybody can pull off a mullet.

I'm growing out a mohawk too! (again *ahem*:o)

I don't think it looks mullety, hard to tell. It's all the back of my head and I like to wear a lot of hats or french braid to keep it out of my face. I think I have ~3inches of growth on the sides and I keep the forelocks trimmed to frame my face. *shrug*

More hats!

jenwexler
December 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM
I had a friend who grew out a mullet. He died in different colors. His hair dried out a lot so he buzzed it off, waited a few months, and had a healthy mohawk.

anachronic
June 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Whats the best way for no mullet?