PDA

View Full Version : Oil Questions

Sheylenna
November 30th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I just bought some Jojoba oil and I have always had this problem with putting stuff in my hair after the shampooing and conditioning is done. I ALWAYS put too much. Too much mousse... hair looks oily and wet... too much leave in conditioner... same; now I have too much oil and of course my hair looks oily and wet... the only good thing is it has LOTS of SHINE, which is unusual for my hair.

So here I am, I shampooed my hair and left out the conditioner in the vain hope that not using it would help me not put to much in my hair. Did not happen.

So does anyone has any tips on how to NOT put too much stuff in your hair?

Or what to do with it when you find you do?

I was thinking of using Johnson's baby shampoo tomorrow morning to cut with grease with out cutting the soft shine but I'm not sure it will be enough.

I want my hair shiny but my hair does not tangle badly or really even at all a few swipes of my brush gets any out. No matter what I do to my hair.

AND how in the world is my hair still STATICY when its so oily it looks like I haven't washed it in 3 weeks?????

HoneyJubilee
November 30th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I keep my oil in ttle dropper bottles. It really makes it a lot easier for me to measure out how much I'm using. I put about 5 drops of sweet almond oil in my palm, rub my hands together and then run my hands over the length of my hair. It doesn't sound like much, but that small amount really does seem to be helping my hair.

If I end up with too much oil in my hair I usually just keep my hair pulled up until I'm ready to wash it. Updos can hide a lot of greasiness.

There was a thread about static problems around here a week or two ago. It sounded like a lot of people have a lot of static this time of year. I think spraying your brush with Static Guard was mentioned as a way to help deal with it.

Dragon
November 30th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I keep my oil in ttle dropper bottles. It really makes it a lot easier for me to measure out how much I'm using. I put about 5 drops of sweet almond oil in my palm, rub my hands together and then run my hands over the length of my hair. It doesn't sound like much, but that small amount really does seem to be helping my hair.

If I end up with too much oil in my hair I usually just keep my hair pulled up until I'm ready to wash it. Updos can hide a lot of greasiness.

There was a thread about static problems around here a week or two ago. It sounded like a lot of people have a lot of static this time of year. I think spraying your brush with Static Guard was mentioned as a way to help deal with it.

I do the same. I use to always use to much before I started using the dropper bottles. When I use to much, I just leave it. I don't care if my hair looks oily.

Sheylenna
November 30th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Problem is with my hair and updo's and oil. I do put my hair up but is just barely shoulder length and I like bangs so I have them, and the worst oil is in the SHORT hairs, which just happen to be just short enough that they do not stay in the ponytail holders. UGH. I could try a head band but they tend to slip out maybe the oil will hold it in?

aenflex
November 30th, 2010, 09:35 AM
My advise would be to put the oil in when the hair is still damp. Start with one drop at a time, and mix it up with your leave-in conditioner, if you use any. Applying coconut oil to damp hair almost always prevents it from looking built up and lank when it dries, for me anyway. The trick is only applying a very little. Sounds like you hair about the same as mine, give or take. I only use about a half a thumbnail-size serving of oil for my whole head, if that gives you any ideas :)

CaityBear
November 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Take what you want to put in your hair and cut in half.

I always put too much in. Or rather want to. I put coconut oil in when it's damp and I take some coconut oil, and even if I think that's what I'll need, I scrap half of it back into the bottle.

pepperminttea
November 30th, 2010, 10:24 AM
The dropper bottles are really helpful - I use four-five drops post-wash, but at your length/texture one or two would be plenty. With solid coconut oil, literally, half a pinhead amount. (I'm talking embroidery pins (http://www.blue-feather.com/_images//PinsStandingUpMain.jpg), not drawing pins!)

It is really difficult not to overdo it, and it might take several attempts to find the right amount for you; keep practicing. :) Worst comes to worst, your hair gets a deep treatment! And don't forget your hair will absorb some of it, you might be surprised how much it can drink.

tinti
November 30th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I scrape a little pea size from my coconut jar, warm it in my hands and run my hands down the lenght. If I feel I took to little I take half of the amount I took first time.

andrea1982
November 30th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Based on your hair type, you probably only need enough oil to make your palms shiny, then rub your hands through your hair (only from the ears down). If you find you need more, you can repeat when your hair is dry. It took me a long time to figure out how much to add to damp hair, dry oiling was much easier when my hair was your length. Shorter hair is also healthier/less porous and so will absorb less oil. now that my hair is longer I can use quite a bit, but before it was very easy to over-oil.

torrilin
November 30th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I use about 2 drops of jojoba for my entire head of hair. And well, at a ii and bsl, that's a lot more hair than you have. 4-5 drops is a heavy oiling. I've experimented with olive oil and it doesn't seem to work as well.

At your length, it might be more productive to just not oil and instead experiment with your regular conditioner as a leave in. Or play around with alternating condition-wash-condition with conditioner only washes.

Also not all of the fine/straight/silky hair types are going to do well with oil! There's a neat thread for straight and silkies, with extensive discussion of whether oiling is even a good idea. In a lot of cases, it isn't.

SpinDance
November 30th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I use dropper bottles and use 1-3 drops of oil on the ends, and maybe up as high as my ears. For me, mostly it is only the hair longer than shoulder length that needs it, so you may not need it at all until your hair is longer.

littlenvy
November 30th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I have the same kind of a problem.
My hair hates me putting in anything after its washed. Pre-wash or during, I can load stuff up like crazy. The heavier the better.
But once my hair is washed, wet or drying, anything else that goes in after will just make it look crapy, greasy or stringy. (is there such word?? )
No leave-ins, no oil, no conditioners or prduducts. The only thing I can get away with is ACV unrinsed and a very very small amount of shea butter for my ends.
NOW ... the next day I CAN put oil in and it makes my hair nice instead of greasy without any problems. Go figure.

Also, watch out for your comb/brush. There may be some oil on it already and when you go to brush it after wash you may be adding some extra on top of what you already have.

spidermom
November 30th, 2010, 12:31 PM
My advice: use the oil generously the day or an hour or more before you plan to wash it. This is when it's most beneficial in my opinion. No matter how little oil I use in my clean hair,it attracts dust/lint and makes my hair tangly.

Sheylenna
November 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Also not all of the fine/straight/silky hair types are going to do well with oil! There's a neat thread for straight and silkies, with extensive discussion of whether oiling is even a good idea. In a lot of cases, it isn't.

Link please?

thatjengirl1
December 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM
i'm not sure about the static question..but i'm in the same boat with you about the oil. I always seem to put too much in heheh. my trick is just put on half as much as you want, and then wait like 30 mins (let it really moisturize) then decide whether or not to put more. i usually dont need more, so yeah just try to use a little at a time. hope this helps a little :cool:

liagibba
December 2nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
I agree with everyone saying put half as much in your hair as you think you need.

As for getting the oil out of your hair, conditioner works better than shampoo for this. CO washes work really well getting oil all the way out. :)

Sheylenna
December 28th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the advise I've been trying out it all. I seem to have the best luck by putting it in my hair before washing. And then shampooing and conditionering it out. Although I think I would have better luck if I wasn't using a shampoo and conditioner that my hair doesn't like. The shampoo I use when using oil is kinda cheep ^ . ^ but it does work. But Im almost done with it (I just don't like wasting stuff.)

My other shampoo and conditioner is Aussie clarifying which my hair LOVES. So I alternate between them.

Igor
December 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM
AND how in the world is my hair still STATICY when its so oily it looks like I haven't washed it in 3 weeks?????
Jojoba oil doesn’t penetrate the hair stands like other oils. It’s closer to wax than oil and coats the hair like our natural sebum :shrug:

laughinglynxie
December 28th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I have very fine, shiny hair that shows oil in an instant. I use enough oil to make my palms have a slight sheen on them. Even then, I take out a little insurance policy by flipping my hair over and starting "applying" to the underside and ends of my hair first. That way, if I have a little too much, it's hidden on the bottom layer instead of right on the top. HTH!