PDA

View Full Version : Miserable swimming hair

bluesnowflake
November 29th, 2010, 04:28 PM
So I had to swim today for gym- I braided my hair before I swam and got it thoroughly soaked in freshwater before getting in the pool. I did have less tangled than if I had left my hair loose, but it still took a good half an hour to get all the tangles out ( my hair just brushes waist) I can't leave conditioner in while I swim- it would pollute the pool. Any other good solutions for keeping hair from tangling? Lots of conditioner works a little better for me, but I can't exactly bring my big bottle to school :rolleyes:

firefly42
November 29th, 2010, 04:34 PM
will they let you wear a swim cap? if so, you'll find that it will drastically reduce tangles. if not, or if you don't want to wear one, can you french braid your hair? pulling it into two tight french braids will definately minimize the tangles.

lilalong
November 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
What helped me is a conditioner full of cones.
Apply before entering the pool, rinse out, (french-)braid. Go swimming.

Afterwards, unbraid with the help of lots of coney conditioner again.

I get much less tangles this way.

maus
November 29th, 2010, 05:29 PM
L'Anza makes a great chelating swimmer shampoo - maybe that helps to fix it afterwards? I have been using it after swimming and for the hard water we have in our area, and am very happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/Lanza-Swim-Daily-Chelating-Shampoo/dp/B000PU6MSE

Anje
November 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Swim caps are about the only thing that keeps my braids from getting matted from swimming, at least for long periods or intensely in chlorinated pools. (My hair seems to do better in lake water, even tangle-wise. I think it's because it's less drying.) I like the silicone ones about the best, but if you don't mind exposing your hair to the chlorine, the lycra ones are really easy to get on. (Alternatively, I've been considering double-bagging my hair. First lycra to hold it all in place, then silicone. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like it might make getting the silicone cap on alone easier.)

ETA: Swim caps are also about the best way to prevent inhaling hair when you turn your head to breathe when doing crawl, btw.

ktani
November 29th, 2010, 06:17 PM
So I had to swim today for gym- I braided my hair before I swam and got it thoroughly soaked in freshwater before getting in the pool. I did have less tangled than if I had left my hair loose, but it still took a good half an hour to get all the tangles out ( my hair just brushes waist) I can't leave conditioner in while I swim- it would pollute the pool. Any other good solutions for keeping hair from tangling? Lots of conditioner works a little better for me, but I can't exactly bring my big bottle to school :rolleyes:

Try club soda, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=115.

luxepiggy
November 29th, 2010, 06:44 PM
2 braids, tied both top and bottom. Piggies love to swim - I used to do 50 laps a day all summer long in my pool at home with 2 braids, and I got very few tangles. Basically you'd make 2 low ponytails at the nape, fasten with elastic, then braid each ponytail.

Another tip - hold each braid under the shower spray before trying to undo it. You should feel the braid start to get softer and lose the stiff, chlorine-ish texture. At that point, coat the entire braid with conditioner and gently manipulate the braid bumps a little to get the conditioner in between them. You should find them much easier to unwind that way (^(oo)^)v

Kyla
November 29th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I feel you, as I practically live at the pool (work and swim team). Like what was already said, using a swim cap helps the most, but chlorinated water can still seep through. What one of my coworkers used to do was coat her hair in conditioner, and then uses a swim cap, and this worked wonderfully for her :)

(also, I should encourage this, but oftentimes people don't really notice or care if you put conditioner is your hair beforehand, as long as you don't make it obvious. Just saying :) )

Chiara
November 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM
One thing I've found worked is swimming when my hair is already quite oily. I give it a water only rinse afterwards. I've seen a big reduction in dryness and tangling, and had no problems with going green!

Dragon
November 30th, 2010, 01:12 AM
All I can suggest is a swim cap. And to detangle your hair after swimming, Using a heavy silicone conditioner like dove and comb it through before rinsing it out may help since it makes the hair slippery.

Dragon
November 30th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Sorry, double post.

aenflex
November 30th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I soak my hair in conditioner and/or oil and dont rinse about before getting in the ocean or the pool.

mamaherrera
November 20th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I plan to swim daily for the next couple of weeks and wondering for you all who swim daily, do you think club soda before, swim cap and then a swimmer's shampoo to both scalp and length will not damage my hair/? I' don't want to do a DT every day, maybe once a week. But I've not been shampooing my lengths after swmiing, I just assumed the shampoo got down there on it's own when rinsing. Just curious and would like before/after routines of those who swim daily. Also, what do you all use for goggles, any visors or good googles out there that don't mark your skin for four hours afterwards???

Ceridwen Iris
November 20th, 2011, 09:08 PM
will they let you wear a swim cap? if so, you'll find that it will drastically reduce tangles. if not, or if you don't want to wear one, can you french braid your hair? pulling it into two tight french braids will definately minimize the tangles.

I'm surprised to hear that you might not be able to wear a swimming cap. They are actually required for the kids to swim in the pool at the school where I teach (and also at professional pools like the Australian Institute of Sport). As I understand it, it stops the filter getting clogged up with with hair as much.

I would definitely go for a swimming cap. I used to put a bit of talc inside to stop the rubber/ silicone from pulling at my hair.