PDA

View Full Version : Too long to bun?

loves2spin
June 2nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
I am wondering, those of you who have hair a lot longer than mine (29") - is it possible that your hair could ever get so long you could not put it up in a bun? I love how my bun is getting bigger. I would be sad not to be able to do it this way! :-(

Cinnamon Hair
June 2nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
I can still bun comfortably but if you hair is very long or thick it might become uncomfortable. :shrug:

maskedrose
June 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Stagecoach has some great instructions (and a video!) for bunning super long hair. I'm sure she will drop by and give you the link :)

Xandergrammy
June 2nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
There are lots of folks here with super long hair who can make beautiful buns.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
The longer my hair gets, the tougher it is for me to get a bun comfortably secured. They slip-slide and pull. My latest project is to get braided buns figured out, assuming that the braid has more holding power than twists and coils. That's my working theory anyway.

cassie_g
June 2nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
I'm at 37" and don't see it being problematic anytime soon. I think it is going to vary for everybody. What works for one person doesn't always work for another.

Chromis
June 2nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Nope! For now I'm finding it gets easier as mine gets longer. At certain points you have to learn new styles since the old ones don't work as well, but then as you gain inches you might find the old ones working again! Figure eights are like that for me.

Dianyla
June 2nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
At 67 inches, I can still bun successfully but the buns that work for me now are different than the buns that worked for me at 50 inches. :)

Stagecoach
June 2nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
at 50" I'm still bunning every day!

trolleypup
June 2nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
At 53" my lazy bun works just fine.

HairColoredHair
June 2nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
Still work fine for me... just have to secure it in different ways... :)

nicolezoie
June 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
...and although my buns get bigger, they look far more interesting than they did when they were smaller because, erm, they have a different shape. :p

Seriously - I don't do the same bun that I did when I first learned to bun (knot bun). Most of the time, it's a beebutt/cinnamon bun combo, or a cinnamon bun wrapped around a hair stick that gets reversed halfway (balances better). As with most things longer, you learn adaptations that you will figure out along the way. :)

lulabelle
June 2nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
Like everyone else has posted, I think you jut have to change the way you bun as your hair gets longer. I'm at about 33'' and have pretty thick hair, and a large ficcare can still hold it easily and I don't see it failing any time soon. I usually do cinnamon buns or braided buns; just experiment, I bet you can find lots of fun new styles that work! :D

sapphire-o
June 3rd, 2008, 04:09 AM
I no longer do regular cinnamon bun much now. But I love infinity and figure-8 buns for my current length. You just need to practice some new updos. :)

Queenie
June 3rd, 2008, 05:03 AM
40" and daily cinnamon bun!
I was still comfortably bunning at 47+" so I don't expect it to be a problem anytime soon :lol:
I did have to adapt my securing methods as it grew though. You just have to work with your hair :flower:

loves2spin
June 3rd, 2008, 05:54 AM
Thank you all for your encouragement and ideas! Do we, by any chance, have a "bunning" thread? One with various instructions and ideas? Right now my knot or cinnabun or whatever it is called is secured with Amish hair pins or the bent over double-pointed knitting needle, or on special occasions, my hair sticks.

Saranne772
June 3rd, 2008, 07:24 AM
I am not really that long. I just find that as you get longer you have to alter the way you do the buns but you can still get buns

eresh
June 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
I still bun almost every day :)
But now I use different ways, I do more braided buns and use different size tools/toys.
If the weight is balanced, it's very comfy.

Anje
June 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM
I'm not nearly as long as a lot of people here, but I'm bunning daily. Fewer cinnamon buns, though, since about the start of the year, because they're getting "spirally" and a little more difficult to secure. Right now, knots work well...

nicolezoie, it probably isn't applicable to me at my length, but how do you do this cinnamon bun that gets reversed? I'm curious!

Ursula
June 3rd, 2008, 08:52 AM
I've been able to bun, but it has involved doing different types of buns, and securing them in different fashions, as the length changed.

This isn't a phenomena of very long hair. I find that the way in which I bun my hair changes every few inches - I can do many different buns, but which one is the most stable, easy and comfortable will change, or I'll modify how the ends are tucked under, etc.

Probably what changed most is not my hair and updos, but my mind. I tend to not set my mind on doing a particular style, as I might have in the past. Instead, I try one I like, and if it doesn't seem to work, I quickly change to another, without getting frustrated. I'll also change my hair through the day, as needed.

HeavenlyTresses
June 3rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Balance is a big deal for me because of the weight. Buns that are split up with different strands like a chinese bun work best for me. The infinity isn't too bad but I have to make sure the twist isn't too tight becuase it makes it too heavy.

harpgal
June 3rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
I am just under 50 inches and I find that braided buns hold better for me. Also, I wear them lower than I used to. There is one thing for sure...long hair is never boring!

Islandgrrl
June 3rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
I wore buns daily when I was at knee (57" or so). Either a single low bee butt type bun or twin low cinnabuns. They were huge, but comfy.

Delenn
June 3rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
I still get amazed at how I can wake up one day and my tried-n-true bunstyle stops working. But I guess that's how it goes, eh? Currently I'm sporting braided buns, I alllllllllllmost got my first figure 8 the other day except I think I flipped it the wrong way... it was an 8 but I either flipped upwards and it would've looked better downwards or vice versa. Or something. I haven't had time to experiment more with it since then but I'm anxious to rock the figure-8's next.

And I agree with Harpgal, I'm having fun with my length! My hair is now longer than it's every been and I remember the last time I did a big chop being so incredibly frustrated and overwhelmed with all of my hair that it had to go. Now I'm giddy, I can't wait for more to show up!

MusingFrog
June 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
My hair isn't particularly long (just under 40") but the types of buns I do are different from those I did when I fist learned how to bun. My first buns were cinnamon buns or simple variations. Now I do inside-out buns almost exclusively. I don't see changing the style I'm using right now any time soon either. It can easily take a lot more hair by changing the tension a bit.

Gladtobemom
June 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
For me, as my hair gets toward tailbone I shift my bun. I tend to make it higher more at the crown of my head and on top of my head. I like to lay the coils out flatter and wider when I make a cinnamon bun for instance.

Also, I start using hair screws to anchor coils when the bun is half up. This helps me distribute the weight.

My Nanny's hair was shin length. She wore her hair most of the time in a Coronet. Which is a single braid wrapped over the head. This is a very balanced hairstyle, but takes practice to execute so that it is symmetrical.

CountessDeJager
June 3rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
As others have said, length is doable. There are people like me who probably have less mass in their bun than you do at your current length, loves2spin, and buns work just fine. Heftier bunners who have thicker hairs or more strands are all over the boards here and have spectacular bun hairstyles from learning what works for them and getting bigger hairtorys as their mass increases.

Pegasus Marsters
June 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
I don't think anyone here has ever ended up unable to do a bun... I think you just end up having to re-learn how to do them to keep them comfy.

Lady Godiva
June 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
I didn't start wearing updos until my hair was almost knee length. I don't think I've ever successfully worn a regular cinnamon bun, which slip, slide and pull because my oily 1a hair type is slippery and limp, and they also look weird all bumpy along the edges because they require at least a dozen hair pins. For the handful of times when I have tried wearing buns, they always fall out, even if I pin as I wrap each coil (not just when done). :ponder:

Infinities or Figure-8s are called "buns," so it boils down to what people mean by that word. Most people seem immediately to think of cinnamon buns. Log Rolls are not buns, and they're my usual style. Figure 8s don't work very well for me because they tend to lean and pull, and the stick pokes me in the neck. Infinities are far superior, as they are horizontal, so they balance well, and the hair essentially is made into a slide barrette that holds up the remaining length wrapped behind it. I need to give a knotted bun a try; I keep meaning to do that. I don't care for the look of the Chinese Bun.

Hair type affects bun success, too, not just hair length. Waves or curls seem to make bunning a bit easier, even if super long. Volume makes a big difference, and hemline type, too, as blunt cut is harder to blend smoothly than natural ends blend. Mostly, though, as your hair gains increased length, you learn to make small adjustments. At floor length, I'm not growing my hair longer right now, but I notice with each trim, as the ends thicken, slight changes occur. When my ex-bangs reach the floor, I'll probably have to make a slight adjustment then, too. You get to tweak your styling skills at such times. :)

insideitall
June 3rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
What are those hair screw things called? I did a google search and got lots of interesting results, none of which had to do with hair.. I think those might help keep my hair up nice and tight.

I don't know how to do many buns, but my favorite is braiding and then doing a regular twist bun, and pulling the end through the first twirl. Stays up much better than a regular bun.

I hate hate hate the feel of a loose do. I put my hair back when it's wet, and sometimes when it starts drying it loosens, so by the end of the day I feel really gross. I always want to redo it but I know it'll only end up looser and make me feel even grosser. Is that weird?

Ursula
June 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
...and hemline type, too, as blunt cut is harder to blend smoothly than natural ends blend.

For hemline, I'd say it is a matter of what you are used to handling, rather than blunt versus taper with one being easier.

I keep my ends blunt, and have no trouble putting it up. I get to the end of the coil, tuck under, and I'm done. When I've fallen behind on my trims and have more taper, I have a lot of trouble with updos.

My point being, that if you like blunt ends, you aren't giving up easy updos. It's a matter of knowing that they need different techniques, and learning the appropriate set of techniques for your preferred hemline.

Unnamed
June 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
I'd have to agree with buns--or how to secure it/what to secure it with--changing as the length increases.

I actually have a very limited amount of things that both hold and still look okay (joy of being a thinnie--all but the first 2-3" of my length is an 'i', so even at hip length I had 'extra' hair for most updos). What seems to work right now are mangled cinnamon-ish buns, combined buns, and I think Lady Godiva's Infinity version.

Even at longer lengths, though, I don't foresee that actually putting my hair up into *something* will become impossible. It might not be standard, or necessarily pretty, but 'up' in general I don't think will become a problem -- just different and ever changing.

Silver rainbow
June 3rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
My hair is 36" and thick and I find buns easier than at shorter lengths. I do a cinammon bun and Karen Lynn Knott mostly. I do not have significant taper so it helps to have extra length to make the turns

FrannyG
June 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
I don't think my hair, even at terminal length, whatever that may be, will ever be too long to bun. My hair is so fine that even if I were somehow able to reach classic, my bun would look about the same size as some people at BSL or shorter.

AJoifulNoise
June 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I think that my hair has the potential to be too heavy for a bun. Even now it can be rather heavy with certain buns. But, that's usually a bun that I either need to rework, or work out of my list of styles.

moon-flower
June 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
I suppose it depends on thickness as well as hair type. I have really straight and very thin hair. It doesn't make very big buns, maybe average, and it depends on the style. My hair is close to 48 inches, but the last 8 inches are so thin, I don't think they make much of a difference.
I think the longer the hair is the more interesting syles you can have and combine. Like you could do a normal flip or knot bun and braid the rest of the length and wrap it around. I do wish my hair was thicker, cause I could have twice the thickness and not have headaches from the bun.

loves2spin
June 4th, 2008, 07:16 AM
As others have said, length is doable. There are people like me who probably have less mass in their bun than you do at your current length, loves2spin, and buns work just fine. Heftier bunners who have thicker hairs or more strands are all over the boards here and have spectacular bun hairstyles from learning what works for them and getting bigger hairtorys as their mass increases.

"Bigger Hair Toys!" I like the sound of that. :joy: I have not yet had any of the hair screws that were mentioned, nor have I had a Ficcare yet. My DH attempted to get one for me for Christmas 2006, but it was "back ordered" FOREVER and so we finally just canceled the order. :( My hair is finally long enough that when I bun it, I can afford some looseness and poofiness(?) around it, and that looks a lot nicer, to me (on me.) Can any of you dear ones give me links to instructions on various bunning techniques?

loves2spin
June 4th, 2008, 07:22 AM
When my ex-bangs reach the floor, I'll probably have to make a slight adjustment then, too. You get to tweak your styling skills at such times. :)

Oh, that's wonderful! I have "ex bangs" too, but they are only about mouth length. I wonder if I'll live long enough for them to be terminal length! :)

Shell
June 4th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Can any of you dear ones give me links to instructions on various bunning techniques?

They are kind of scattered all over the place! In our articles section you can find instructions for many styles. Also other sites like the LongHairLoom have styles pages. Also, in the Social Groups function there are some "hairstyles of the week" threads that have styles. Many styles are in TLHC Archives. On my hair page (linked in my sig) I have some links to styles and sites with styles. You can also check out YouTube for bun styles.

Anje
June 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM
For those of you asking about hair screws, aka "hair scroos," I think most people who get them find them on eBay. Here's a link. (http://cgi.ebay.com/2-sets-4-Magic-Hair-Scroos-HOLD-UP-U-HAIR-INVISIBLE-NEW_W0QQitemZ260191814966QQihZ016QQcategoryZ45225Q QcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262) I think other people make their own wrapping wire around a dowel.

loves2spin
June 9th, 2008, 07:09 PM
For those of you asking about hair screws, aka "hair scroos," I think most people who get them find them on eBay. Here's a link. (http://cgi.ebay.com/2-sets-4-Magic-Hair-Scroos-HOLD-UP-U-HAIR-INVISIBLE-NEW_W0QQitemZ260191814966QQihZ016QQcategoryZ45225Q QcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262) I think other people make their own wrapping wire around a dowel.

I would like to try that. Do you know how I can find out how and with what?