PDA

View Full Version : How to clean my BBB?

daaisychains
November 29th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Don't worry i have used the 'search' tool for this but to no avail. I was pretty sure this question came up often too.. if there is such a thread please do link me.

Anyway, what methods do you all use for cleaning your BBBs? I've removed any hair that may be matted in there but there is still so much FLUFF!/lint/random furballs floating about in there and i'm really struggling to get it all out.

Also, i'm pretty sure that some of the bristles are coated in oil/too much sebum.. what's a gentle way of cleaning them without harming them?

TIA. :blossom:
:) daaisychains.

LisaMonster
November 29th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I just use some old shampoo on mine. Works well enough for me.

ravenreed
November 29th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I use diluted shampoo or Dr. Bonner's soap on mine. First I take my rat tailed comb and comb out as much lint and hair as I can. Sometimes I use my tangleteazer and "brush" my BBB. This gets hair off both brushes as once.

daaisychains
November 29th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I'm no 'poo so at least i've not found a use for all that shampoo lying around unused. I'm going to try it tonight and then let it air dry and see how it is in the morning..
It was just getting too yucky.. i think i had too much oil on it.

Thank you guys!

Thinthondiel
November 29th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I have the same problem with mine. I sometimes use shampoo, or I dip the bristles in water with baking soda in it. I'm able to get rid of the sebum that way, but unfortunately a lot of the lint remains stuck in the bristles.

p3_Arme
November 29th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Mine came with a smaller brush to clean it, so try another smaller trvel brush or a comb.

mali
November 29th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I just use some shampoo on my hair brushes.

Madora
November 29th, 2010, 05:43 PM
How to clean a boar bristle brush:

1) Get out as much of the hair and stuff in the brush as possible.

2) Draw some medium warm (not hot) water and mix with a small bit of your shampoo. Let the brush soak for about 6 minutes.

3) Rinse with cold water. Shake out thoroughly.

4) Wipe down wooden handle and set the brush on a
lint free cloth with bristles side down.

PartyPickle
November 29th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I was just thinking about posting about this yesterday! I did baking soda washing for a year and oh my the ceaseless scum that my BBB took on. I did use up ton of unwanted shampoo cleaning it all the time. There is still so much lint and muck stuck in it. I was thinking about using a soapy tinting brush to get in between the bristles and maybe sitting down and spending some quality time with a fine crochet hook to try and pull the stuff out from the clumps of bristles. It would be nice to get it back to a before the mega hair scum state.

adiapalic
November 29th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I use a really fine tooth comb (http://blogs.ft.com/money-matters/files/2009/09/toothcomb.jpg) to rake out as much of the dust and lint as I can. This really helps me get into the tight spaces between the bristle tufts. I try not to be too rough so I don't break them off. Then I use shampoo or drag a little bit of bar soap over the bristles and wash them to get the buildup and teeny lint particles off.

This will help release some more lint, so I use the fine tooth comb to scrape that out too. Then I rinse it off really well, make sure there's no more lint particles--if there are I repeat with soap and fine tooth combing. Once it's clean and rinsed I dry the bristles off with a wash cloth and lay the brush with the bristles face down on the wash cloth to drip and dry off.