PDA

View Full Version : What's my hair color and tone?

mali
November 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
ETA with new pics. I had them done with a yellow light next to me.I know my hair is ashy toned,I just want to know if it's light brown,dark blonde etc.Thanks! Here they are:

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/malinamih/Photo61.jpg
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/malinamih/Photo59.jpg
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/malinamih/Photo58.jpg
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/malinamih/Photo71.jpg
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/malinamih/Photo70.jpg
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/malinamih/Photo69.jpg
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/malinamih/Photo68.jpg
sorry for this one,haha
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/malinamih/Photo66.jpg
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/malinamih/Photo65.jpg
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/malinamih/Photo64.jpg

Sorry if I look creepy.It really does look kinda odd with that disc all over my face,lol.

mali
November 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Nobody wants to tell me?I'm sad...:o

chopandchange
November 29th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I don't know what you mean by "tone," but I would call your hair colour either light brown or dark blonde. Whichever you like best.

Aquamarine
November 29th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I'd go with "light brown". Your hair looks great by the way.:):D

lapushka
November 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM
That, to me, is a dark ash blond.

Roscata
November 29th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I'd say dark ash blond.

MissManda
November 29th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I too think your hair is dark ash blonde. :)

mali
November 29th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Oh here is another picture! http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/malinamih/curlyyy.jpg

invisiblebabe
November 29th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I'd go with medium to dark ash blonde. Your tone is definitely on the cool/ash side.

mali
November 29th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I was scared when I heard light brown!! Thanks invisiblebabe! I really do like all hair colors but I couldn't believe that it had darkened that much!

AnastaChan
November 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM
You have really pretty,shiny,smooth and a beautiful hair color!!

invisiblebabe
November 29th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I was scared when I heard light brown!! Thanks invisiblebabe! I really do like all hair colors but I couldn't believe that it had darkened that much!

Haha :) To me the only one where it looks anywhere near light brown is the last one with the lights off, and IMO that doesn't count! :lol: Did you used to have really light blonde hair when you were little?

mali
November 29th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Haha :) To me the only one where it looks anywhere near light brown is the last one with the lights off, and IMO that doesn't count! :lol: Did you used to have really light blonde hair when you were little?

No,I had light medium blonde hair.It was 30% lighter than it is now.Thank you!:)

I'd go with "light brown". Your hair looks great by the way.:):D

Thank you Aquamarine! I tought my hair was horrible,and this is my first LHC compliment! :flowers:

Bianca
November 29th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I think of myself as a dark ash blonde and my hair is lighter than yours, so I would say light brown. But not the best pictures too tell from :)

mali
November 29th, 2010, 12:27 PM
You have really pretty,shiny,smooth and a beautiful hair color!!

Thanks! :D

I think of myself as a dark ash blonde and my hair is lighter than yours, so I would say light brown. But not the best pictures too tell from :)

You're not dark ash! You're a really light medium blonde!:eek:

mariika
November 29th, 2010, 12:57 PM
definitely looks light brown to me

mali
November 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I edited the photos and added better ones!

Another one: http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/malinamih/Photo57-1.jpg

jojo
November 29th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Your hair is a shade darker than my natural colour which is dark blond, Id put you asa light brown too, though in some lights it looks a dark ash blond.

SpinDance
November 29th, 2010, 01:14 PM
It is very difficult to tell real colors with artificial lighting. Your hair is smooth and shiny, and looks like you'll get some really nice curls/waves as it gets longer, too.

mali
November 29th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Thank you,SpinDance!

lapushka
November 29th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Mali,

It's best to take some pics in sunlight or lots of natural light also. It makes a huge difference. Only in lots of light can you actually tell whether it's a blond or a brown shade when you're a dark ash color.

Thinthondiel
November 29th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Your hair looks like a light brown to me, not blond at all... but then light hair is so common here in the Nordic countries that maybe the perceived 'border' between blond and brown is further towards the lighter side of the scale here than in some other countries.

mali
November 29th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Well,thanks everyone! I think I just have to live with the fact that I'm a browned eyed girl with a boring ash color ...I'm so saaad! plus greenish tones in my hair...i'm a dirty canvas!!!!!!!!!

invisiblebabe
November 29th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Well,thanks everyone! I think I just have to live with the fact that I'm a browned eyed girl with a boring ash color ...I'm so saaad! plus greenish tones in my hair...i'm a dirty canvas!!!!!!!!!

Haha, well if you don't like your natural color, you could always get some highlights on the top layer. That's what I do, and mine is BSL (the length you are aiming for). It's not too damaging for BSL hair, but I found it was harder to keep healthy when it was waist length +.

My hair is a similar color to yours, very ashy, and I think it is perfectly suited for highlights!

mali
November 29th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Haha, well if you don't like your natural color, you could always get some highlights on the top layer. That's what I do, and mine is BSL (the length you are aiming for). It's not too damaging for BSL hair, but I found it was harder to keep healthy when it was waist length +.

My hair is a similar color to yours, very ashy, and I think it is perfectly suited for highlights!

Thank you,invisiblebabe,for the tip,but I'm only 13! I know,I'm a very young LHC-er! I do have 2 highlites in my hair,but I'm growing them out.I'm trying to embrace my natural har color even tough this might be hard...Oh,well,I'm sad..I always tought I was blonde.At least that is what every classmate tells me...:o

linnepinne
November 29th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I would say light brown. You really have a lovely colour! :)

mali
November 29th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Thank you linnepinne so much!:D

invisiblebabe
November 29th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Thank you,invisiblebabe,for the tip,but I'm only 13! I know,I'm a very young LHC-er! I do have 2 highlites in my hair,but I'm growing them out.I'm trying to embrace my natural har color even tough this might be hard...Oh,well,I'm sad..I always tought I was blonde.At least that is what every classmate tells me...:o

It is strange, how people's perceptions can be so different. Dark blonde and light brown are almost the same color anyway, so I say call your hair color whatever you want to call it :) Or just call it cendre, which is a French word that means "ash" and is how I describe my natural hair color!

I was 13 when I started coloring my hair :) Yours seems to work well with your skin color though from what I can tell.... mine did not.

A color glaze could also make the most of your natural color while enhancing it :) No damage either!

Ruce
November 29th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Perceptions certainly can differ, it almost looks dark blonde to me! Though that's coming from someone in a school half full of dyed blonde hair... it really is a shame some people can't let their natural colour show. Your colour is brilliant!

Also, don't feel you're too young, I'm only 14 myself and I'm male, so that's even more of an anomaly. =P

mali
November 29th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Perceptions certainly can differ, it almost looks dark blonde to me! Though that's coming from someone in a school half full of dyed blonde hair... it really is a shame some people can't let their natural colour show. Your colour is brilliant!

Also, don't feel you're too young, I'm only 14 myself and I'm male, so that's even more of an anomaly. =P

Thank you Ruce!:D I didn't know my hair color was beautiful!

Rabya-Khadija
November 29th, 2010, 03:49 PM
To me it looks dark blonde, take some pictures in natural light and we'll know for sure :D It looks very nice though, whatever the colour!

mali
November 29th, 2010, 03:49 PM
It is strange, how people's perceptions can be so different. Dark blonde and light brown are almost the same color anyway, so I say call your hair color whatever you want to call it :) Or just call it cendre, which is a French word that means "ash" and is how I describe my natural hair color!

I was 13 when I started coloring my hair :) Yours seems to work well with your skin color though from what I can tell.... mine did not.

A color glaze could also make the most of your natural color while enhancing it :) No damage either!

What color did you color it when you were 13?I'm intrigued! :D

To me it looks dark blonde, take some pictures in natural light and we'll know for sure :D It looks very nice though, whatever the colour!

Thank you Rabya-Khadija!:D

Demetrue
November 29th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Dark Ashe Blonde. It's easier to figure it out if we know what color your hair was when you were younger. Dark blonde hair usually starts out lighter blonde and then get progressively darker as one enters the teen years, but usually has this certain golden cast to it that is more apparent in sunlight. Your hair would probably be a level 7 on the hair color chart, which corresponds to dark blonde.

invisiblebabe
November 30th, 2010, 12:14 AM
What color did you color it when you were 13?I'm intrigued! :D

Light to medium brown (semi-permanent) with wash-out temporary caramel highlights. :) It was hip length then.

When I was 14 I colored it strawberry blonde (semi-permanent), red (semi-permanent), and a slightly lighter version of dark blonde than it was naturally. It was somewhere between tailbone and classic length then.

milagro
November 30th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I am dark blond and I am level 7 ( I dye roots tone-to-tone to cover my early gray, so I know) and mali's hair looks darker to me. Maybe it's the photo. Or probably it is ash shade making this illusion, I notice ash usually looks a bit darker than golden.

Aliped
November 30th, 2010, 01:22 AM
At first I thought it was light golden brown, but after reading other comments, I'm changing my mind.

Demetrue
November 30th, 2010, 07:37 AM
If you search on-line about hair color and pigmentation, you'll find that blonde hair is made up of a ratio of red pigment to brown pigment and there is much less melanin in the hair shaft, allowing more light to shine through. Hair that starts off brown is made up of various ratios of brown to black, or only brown pigment in the shaft, but not the red type of pigment AND the shaft is more filled with melanin than blonde hair, giving hair a more opaque quality. This is most evident in sunlight. Hair that is blonde in childhood may start to shift to more brown and less red pigment, BUT it will usually maintain some red pigment and have less overall melanin in the shaft than hair that started out brown from childhood. This is why hair color is often advertised as "delicate, translucent, shimmering blondes" and "rich, deep browns" - it partly because of how the amount of melanin in the hair shaft makes blonde hair looks more translucent in sunlight, while brown hair, having more pigment in the shaft, looks rich and deep.

Also, hair that started out as blonde is pretty easy to bleach back to blonde because there is less pigment to remove from the hair shaft. Hair that started out brown may just turn orange when trying to highlight - peroxide may have to be stronger and bleach left on highlights much longer to get past the orange stage of lightening.

KittyLost
November 30th, 2010, 07:49 AM
That, to me, is a dark ash blond.

I agree, it appears too light to be considered brown in my opinion.

mellie89
November 30th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I would call it light brown, but it's really impossible to tell from those photos. I have medium-dark-golden-ish blond hair, and I know that it photographs a LOT darker inside, even if there is enough light. So you may very well be a dark ash blond.

Next time you get a chance, take some photos outside!

mali
December 1st, 2010, 06:59 AM
Thank you everyone! I will take some pics outside next time.