PDA

View Full Version : Cancer

kmoc123
November 29th, 2010, 08:45 AM
My friend has cancer , is doing the chemo and has lost all of her hair. I have 39 inches of hair and am willing to chop it all off for her to have a new wig, IF it is used just for her. Is this possible? I don't want it for LOL or any other such group, but is there a way to have a wig made just for her with my hair? Please pray for her...her name is Becky.

UltraBella
November 29th, 2010, 08:54 AM
If you can locate a wig maker, then yes, it is possible. They can be hard to come by though. And unfortunately it takes way more hair than you have to make a single wig. I did have a wig maker once tell me that she thought she could possibly get one wig made with all my hair, but I wasn't will to try it ;) You would probably need another donor or two to have enough hair for one wig. What about having a fund raiser and purchasing her a beautiful wig ? There are many lovely wigs available and most cancer patients can get them at a discount or even be eligible for a free wig. We have a Sletten Cancer Institute here and they provide wigs to women at no charge. Do you have something similar locally ?

kmoc123
November 29th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I doubt it! We both live in West Texas...she does have two really nice wigs. I also told her that after she is done with her treatments, I could help her when the hair starts growing back find nice conditioners and a good brush to help stimulate her follicles. I am just so sad about this.

mali
November 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I sent a prayer to the Universe.I hope Becky will get better,actually I know she will! I know how you feel,my grandma has cancer right now,it's hard for me and my family.On the wig,I agree with UltraBella.I'm sure you'll find a wig maker,it's impossible not to! :)

Hope you are doing well,and your friend gets better,
mali

luluj
November 29th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Your friend is fortunate to have you in her life, just as you are fortunate to have her in yours. What a lovely gesture for you to offer your beloved locks, bless you. I have to agree with the others, a ready made wig may be best. Please know that I will say a prayer for Becky.

hairnow
November 29th, 2010, 10:25 AM
God Bless. Best to you and your friend!

Try this link: http://mhrw.com/

I happened to find it when I was looking around for tips on dying fake bangs (I didn't want to commit to cutting without "trying on" the look--but the ones I bought were a little too light).

Anyhow, it's a site about making your own wigs (who knew!) or having your own custom wigs or hairpieces made. Seems relatively affordable, too, compared to what the darn things cost, especially with real hair.

Good luck! :)

Xandergrammy
November 29th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I'll say prayers for Becky and I have to say you're such a sweet friend. I also have a friend with cancer and it was her experience that pricier human hair wigs were very uncomfortable and she ended up choosing a really nice synthetic wig. She still doesn't wear the wig very often because it gets too hot.

restourceful
November 29th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I knitted a soft hat for my friend who lost her hair from chemo. She actually preferred it to the wig and even made the decision to keep her hair super short or shaved even after it began to grow back. She really loved the freedom she felt with no hair. I know everyone is different; I would mourn my hair and grow it long again as soon as I could.

kmoc123
November 29th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Thank you all so much for your posts and thoughts and prayers. Love to you all!

sibylla
November 29th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Maybe this link of wig shops can help?www.aaawigbiz.com/local/index-st-tx.htm

Hana212
November 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Hi there.. my mum went through breast cancer late last year and also went through chemo. Real human hair wigs are not reccomended for chemotherapy patients as it is itchy and can irritate the scalp.
My mum could barely stand anything on her head because it was so sensitive and only wore her 'fake hair' wigs to work 1 day per week and scarves the rest of the time.

Get your friend to try on a human hair wig before chopping off your hair. It is a lovely thought though..

Sending my best wishes to your friend in her time of need.