PDA

View Full Version : Layer Crisis?

Atalanta
November 28th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I was at school about a month ago when some guys took some scissors and pretended to cut my hair. I heard the scissors behind me, and when I turned to look, they were surprised and cut off a sizable chunk of hair. To avoid looking like I was attacked by a temperamental vacuum, I went and got layers. I hate them. My hair was all one length, almost down to waist, and now It's mostly BSL with fairy tale ends to waist. (My hair strands are very thin, so any decrease in thickness is heartbreaking) I'm hoping for a little support, and maybe some of your greatest layer growing tips! :love:

christine1989
November 28th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Thats terrible! I would have taken those scissors and shoved them.....well you get where I'm going with this ;). My best advice would be to grow while trimming to eventually get rid of the laters without having to chop your hair shorter than waist. Although people say that layers grow at the same rate, I have found that layers have a tendancy to grow themselves out to match the longest hairs (at least that has been the case on me).

Atalanta
November 28th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Thats terrible! I would have taken those scissors and shoved them.....well you get where I'm going with this ;). My best advice would be to grow while trimming to eventually get rid of the laters without having to chop your hair shorter than waist. Although people say that layers grow at the same rate, I have found that layers have a tendancy to grow themselves out to match the longest hairs (at least that has been the case on me).

That bit about the layers is great! I haven't had much experience with layers, so your experience gives me hope!:)

sunshine80
November 28th, 2010, 08:06 PM
He did what!!!!!!!:steam I hope he did not get away with it! I really would wait then cut slowly...I had the same experience at 17 My stepfather cut half of my hair off! Now that I look back I would of rather walked around with it half off then do what I did and evened it...My hair never grew back since....So I would leave it and cut slowly...

Atalanta
November 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM
They got away with it. It was suggested my hair length was a distraction and that "This tom-foolery was an inevitability" because of that. I'm not even that mad at them for cutting it; they were really apologetic and I know it was an accident. I'm more mad that the principal seemed to suggest I somehow brought this on myself.

Why on earth did your stepfather cut your hair? if your picture is any indication, your hair has bounced back beautifully!

joiekimochi
November 28th, 2010, 08:45 PM
1) How can hair length ever be a distraction?

2) It's like saying kids with freckles and braces deserved to get bullied.

3) Your principal is unforgivable.

Atalanta
November 28th, 2010, 08:52 PM

I was thinking something pretty similar.

Roseate
November 28th, 2010, 08:56 PM

Seriously! That's an awful thing to say to a student who's been basically attacked, even if it was "accidental".

You might enjoy the "growing out layers (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351)" thread. :flowers:

christine1989
November 28th, 2010, 09:07 PM

You would be suprised. Usually long hair (when properly contained) is not a distraction but I used to have a girl in highschool math class who sat in front of me and would play with her (horribly damaged) hair. I had to constantly brush little bleach blonde fragmants of hair off of my desk. It drove me INSANE! She really needed a hot oil treatment! ;)

Atalanta
November 28th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Christine: She sounds awful. And her poor locks! They were probably on your desk because they were safer there then in her care! :lol:

Roseate: Thank you for the link; I'm scoping out some tips now!

Dragon
November 29th, 2010, 12:22 AM
That is horrible. All I can suggest is since your goal is hip and you are already at waist, to keep growing it to your goal and then grow the layers out with trimming.

luxepiggy
November 29th, 2010, 02:36 AM
They got away with it. It was suggested my hair length was a distraction and that "This tom-foolery was an inevitability" because of that. I'm not even that mad at them for cutting it; they were really apologetic and I know it was an accident. I'm more mad that the principal seemed to suggest I somehow brought this on myself.

Why on earth did your stepfather cut your hair? if your picture is any indication, your hair has bounced back beautifully!

Wait, WHAT?!?

I'd LOVE to exchange some words . . . and . . . other things . . . with your principal . . .
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/1heo127.gif

I'm sorry this happened to you!! Perhaps just stick to S&D's for a while, to give your layers a chance to catch up to the FTE?

Anatheme
November 29th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I'm going to add my condolences; that's so horrible. :(

Regularly trimming the ends until your layers grow out sounds like your best bet. That's what I'm doing with mine - 0.5" trims per month, maintaining the overall length while the layers gradually grow out.

hairobsessed1
November 29th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Another good way to grow out layers is: when you trim take off half as much of the top layers- so cut an inch off the bottom layer and half an inch off the top layers- that way the division between the top and bottom layers will slowly decrease until eventually it's all one length- A friend of mine did this and it took her about 15 months for her hair to get all one length (her shortest layer was about apl, and her longest was waist).

emsahib
November 29th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Even if it was an accident what was the guy doing messing around with scissors has he got no sense? Its really nice of you to forgive him, though I understand if he didn't mean to do it. I can't believe that you're head teacher blamed you for it though. What did your parents say about it? Were they as shocked by what he said?

When I last cut my hair I had a million layers put in, which obviously I liked at the time, but I started to find them annoying when I was growing it out, although now I don't think they seem too bad now that they've got longer. Your layers will grow and eventually you'll be at your goal. But I'm sure at the moment you're hair looks lovely even if its not quite how you want it.

Maverick494
November 29th, 2010, 04:05 AM
2 years ago, an idiot at college did the same thing to me: cut off 5 inches of a piece in my length. I punched him in the face a second later and actually knocked him out. Everyone was laughing because he was a lot bigger than me and he "couldn't handle a girl." I think it's safe to assume he hasn't done that again. I did get into trouble, but when they confronted me I told them "what would you do if someone comes at you with scissors? I was just defending myself."

Props to you for being forgiving like you are. I'm less controlled when it comes to that. And I wouldn't let that head teacher get away with that so quickly. Maybe you should demonstrate what it's like by rearranging his hairdo in the most asymmetrical way you can think of....

pepperminttea
November 29th, 2010, 06:55 AM
:grouphug: That is appalling, especially the principal's reaction. Kudos to how forgiving you've been, no way I would've been able to keep my cool.

I'm nearing the end of growing out layers, but I was trying to gain length at the same time. If you're okay with maintaining at your current length, just keep your longest layers trimmed to the same length - your shorter layers will eventually catch up. :) Good luck.

MajorasMask
November 29th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Actually, that's how my hair looks too. Most of my top layer are 6" above my BSL ends

enfys
November 29th, 2010, 07:31 AM
For the whole situation I'm speechless.

Speechless that boys (presumably also 17) still think messing around like that is ok. It was an actident but a lot of accidents should never have happened.
Speechless that you can be so forgiving; I'd be plotting their downfall!
Speechless that your headteacher blamed you!

As for the layers, my method is to trim just my ends and S&D (trim off only the actual splits) in my layers so they grow out with fairytale ends and blend in, without causing damage, and eventually will catch up.

Also, though I expect you do now, wear your hair up in school. It's the best way to stop this happening. If for any reason you can't at least pull it over your shoulder :flower:

lapushka
November 29th, 2010, 07:41 AM
:grouphug: That is appalling, especially the principal's reaction. Kudos to how forgiving you've been, no way I would've been able to keep my cool.

This. ^^

Another "accident" that shouldn't have happened. Of course it was an accident, after the fact, when he realized there would most likely be consequences. I don't understand how any principal, in this day and age, could say something like that. :confused:

Do watch out for this guy, and if there's more of these "accidents", I wouldn't hesitate going to the police, especially since your principal is so very "helpful".

As far as the layers are concerned. I have one layer left in my hair now, which was cut into many layers. I just let it grow, with only the occasional trim at the hemline. That's how the layers gradually grew out. You could drastically cut back to BSL, that's an option, or you could gradually trim the hemline and stay at WL. It will take longer for the layers to disappear, but at least you'll still have your length.

So sorry this happened to you! :flower:

UltraBella
November 29th, 2010, 08:34 AM
This is seriously horrible ! How dare the principle turn it around on you, you were assaulted with scissors !!!!
Ugh, okay, well atleast you have a great attitude about it. Good for you ! I would be plotting something very illegal..........
I think the idea to trim every so often until you are even again and the layers are gone is a great suggestion.

jojo
November 29th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Your story has angered me so much this is assault and should be reported to the authorities and the way the school reacted is disgusting. I am so angry for you :O

Atalanta
November 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM
:grouphug: I'd like to thank everyone on these boards for being so supportive! You guys have really made me feel better about this pretty bland situation. :)