PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Deep Conditioning treatments

yogachic
November 28th, 2010, 07:45 PM
My hair is so dry, I have giving up on not using cones, my curls sometimes feels so dry. I have started deep conditioning once a week with Pantene curly deep conditioning creme in the square tub. Then I sit in the chair with a bag on my head, with a towel and heating pad. The hubby wants to know what to get me for xmas. I told him a head warming cap for my deep treatments.

What's your favorite deep conditioning creme under $15 bucks?

sunshine80
November 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Have you tryed to oil yet? Otherwise I love "Its a 10" its a little more than $15 though...

kabelaced
November 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Personally, I used to love Neutrogena's deep treatments. They were a little over six bucks, and the cream smelled heavenly. I'd leave it on for too long, though, and my scalp would itch for some reason afterwards. Your results may vary, though.

When my hair was much longer and I came across this place, I found the recipe for a SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment): 1 part aloe vera gel (not the green stuff for sunburns, but food grade and sold at health stores), 1 part honey, and 3 parts of your favorite moisturizing conditioner (I would use VO5's conditioner, green tea something or another - great price of 99 cents!) Stir these things into a microwaveable bowl and heat for thirty second intervals for about a minute or so's total time, as you don't want the mix getting too hot - it will be on your head, after all. Stir it well to avoid clumps, then spread the mix all throughout your hair and cover it with a cap, leaving it in for an hour or so.

Worked just as well as the Neutrogena, but I liked the smell better and had less occurrences of itchy scalp this way. :) Plus, if you already have conditioner and honey at home, aloe vera gel is not hard to find and you get more treatments for your money! :)

AnnaJamila
November 28th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Oooooooooooooh I LOVE SMT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes my hair SO nice and soft!!!

littlestarface
November 28th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I have used some deep treatments they sell at the stores and they never did my hair any good not like the homemdae ones I make for my hair. The homemade ones makes my hair so soft and shiny.
My favorite one has to be coconut milk,honey,yogurt,methi,lemon and henna this always makes my hair turn out like silk :cloud9:

GRU
November 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM
My hair is so dry, I have giving up on not using cones, my curls sometimes feels so dry. I have started deep conditioning once a week with Pantene curly deep conditioning creme in the square tub. Then I sit in the chair with a bag on my head, with a towel and heating pad. The hubby wants to know what to get me for xmas. I told him a head warming cap for my deep treatments.

What's your favorite deep conditioning creme under $15 bucks?

You do realize that the Pantene has cones in it, right?

Personally, I end up making some sort of SMT-like product. I make hair treatments kind of like how I cook, tossing in "a little of this, a little of that". I typically use some honey (or molasses), coconut oil (or sweet almond oil), aloe, and conditioner (usually some sort of "moisturizing" or "repairing" type).

Roscata
November 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I use Castor Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil on my scalp; and Coconut oil on my length.

I leave it on over night under a wool hat, and wash it out the next day.

I've tried other deep conditioning treatments and I have to say nothing makes me happier than this and it is the cheapest treatment I use. All the 3 bottles cost 30 dollars total and if I were to divide that it would cost like 5 cents per treatment.

*edit* Does that count?

Hotrox
November 28th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I an seconding or thirdsing an SMT (honey, aloe vera and a conditioner of your choice) as a1 hour kinda treatment and any kind of oil over night - awesome :D

Cailie
November 28th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I love DEEP conditioning (it's so relaxing to me) and I loooooove making it myself !!

I'm also of the "whatever I have at home improvisation" kind of girl, and I do it most when I want to pamper myself.

I play around with, mostly, these ingredients :

oils : olive, coconut, avocado, jojoba, almond, castor, etc.
honey
aloe
conditionner (a natural kind for dry hair)
coconut milk
shea butter
cocoa butter
Rose water
Orange water

right now I made a HUGE quantity of oil mix + 15 drops of pepermint essential oil and nothing else (it feels soooo fresh on the scalp !). I apply it with this kind of bottle (almost half full with oil, this time) :

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1291006730.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1291006730.jpg/1.html)

I love to scalp massage softly with my fingers when I do a heavy oil treatment... and I find the application bottle helps me reach my scalp and distribute my treatments the way I want, without rubbing or damaging my hair at all. For example, castor oil is soo thick it is harder to apply directly on scalp, but with the bottle it's so much easier !

Then I cover with plastic wrap + a few head scarfs to keep the heat in, overnight.

I'll probably shampoo it out, as it is so heavily oiled I don't think co-wash would work.

Or I might use a natural and soft shampoo, soap bar, soap nuts or shikakai... I'll decide tomorrow ! :)

Have fun !

ps. I have tested and like these a lot too (but they are not as natural as the home made stuff, and more expensive)
hair repair :
http://www.prairienaturals.ca/?product_id=95
http://www.prairienaturals.ca/?product_id=111
http://phyto-canada.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38&Itemid=32&lang=en-us

scalp treatment :
http://www.prairienaturals.ca/?product_id=103

Captain Nikki
November 29th, 2010, 01:45 AM
The only things that have helped my dry hair is SMT's (with molasses instead of honey) & oiling with olive oil before CO washing.

Katze
November 29th, 2010, 05:50 AM
SMTs are a godsend for my fine, wavy hair and sensitive, eczema-prone scalp!

When I first came here I did SMTs with every wash, and was washing once a week. Now that I have 'lovely new growth' after a postpartum shed, I need 'cones so I wash 2x a week and usually manage an SMT every third wash or so. A bit hard when you work, run a household, and have a toddler!

Still SMTs are worth the hassle for me. They always make my hair softer and shinier and my scalp happier.

yogachic
November 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I've used oils for like 3 years now, they aren't doing it for me no more, not for deep treatments, Im going back to cones too. I didn't care for the SMT.