PDA

View Full Version : Do your hands estimate strand size differently?

nytquill
November 28th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Nothing to do with anything, just a random curiosity.

I notice that when I am separating strands, for a braid usually, my left hand judges strand size differently from my right (I'm left-handed). More specifically, my right hand always under-estimates the size of a strand.

I'll try to give an example. When making a regular English braid, I separate the left and middle strands with my left hand, and hold the "leftovers" in my right hand. I try to make each strand the same size...but when I reach over to grab the rightmost strand in my left hand, what felt "even" is actually huge! Or when I'm holding a strand in my right hand and I think, no way is that even, this strand is way smaller than the others...turns out it's just right. This isn't a one-time thing, either. I've noticed it ever since I started regularly braiding my hair, and it happens every time. Basically in order to get even braids, I've had to take the habit of making the right side strand so it feels way too small at first and it will end up just right.

I wonder if it's because being my non-dominant hand, my right hand is less "used to" feeling and manipulating things so the nerves there don't know how to take a proper reading, compared to my left hand?

Do any of you find that one hand is more accurate than the other in terms of judging strand size? Or am I just crazy? (a valid possibility LOL)

christine1989
November 28th, 2010, 07:20 PM
You may have a point. I am right handed and it is usually the one that is a better measurer. I guess the only way to get perfect braids is to be ambidexterous. :)

sparkle'n'bling
November 28th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I realised the other day that my hands measure strand size differently. I also am left-handed, and the strand in my left hand feels smaller than the strand in my right hand even though they are the same sizes.

Igor
November 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Definetely not crazy… When my hair was shorter and I made low, double buns a lot, I found a weird feeling illusion that freaked me out a lot. When I took half my hair and started combing it to place the piggy tail up, it felt like the amount of hair shrank to half the size. It was seriously weird! Moving the hair from “down, low piggytail” to “bottom of the skull-level piggytail” made the sizes change completely. Huh?

nytquill
November 28th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Curiouser and curiouser!

torrilin
November 29th, 2010, 06:56 AM
For me it's got nothing to do with my hands...

My hair naturally splits into 3 sections. And if I don't watch it when braiding, I naturally want to make the braid sections the same as the natural sectioning... which is uneven! If I do a part so I can do twin braids, each side wants to fall into some natural sections, again... uneven ones.

enfys
November 29th, 2010, 07:23 AM
My hands part my hair into even sections alomst without fail. However, I've been braiding my hair for bed for say fifteen years, plus I often wear braided buns. I've probably made well over 6000 braids. Do anything 6000 times and you get good as it!

The problem I have is they start out even then my layers mess up the last few inches; I've got very good at seamlessly "borrowing" hair from other sections as I run out!

MinderMutsig
November 29th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Oh yay! I'm so glad others recognize this! I've been calling my right hand 'my little retard hand' because it couldn't get it right. Kind of comforting to know everyone has a retard hand. :o