PDA

View Full Version : have i damaged my hair?

jojo
November 28th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I am such an idiot, I went shopping for oils and stuff from an Indian store near me and bought http://http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/dabur-vatika-olive-enriched-hair-oil-1986-p.asp now when I look at the ingredients after putting it on my hair, the first ingredient is mineral oil. I am so mad for not checking as I normally do and now I am worried sick I have ruined my hair. It actually feels good on my hair but maybe this is the mineral oil content.

Should I just clarify to get it off my hair. I will probably use it on the dog to make her coat shiny or put it in the bath water.

Any advice please. xx

christine1989
November 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM
From what I hear the jury is still out on mineral oil. Some say it is bad becaus eit attracts the sun and causes sun damage. Others say it is neutral because it locks in moisture but does not really moisturize. I don't think it actually damages hair much as long as you did not go out in the sun with it.

ancilla
November 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I'm sure its okay, and that you haven't ruined your hair. I think it only harms your hair when its used all the time. Do a good clarifying wash (I personally would CO wash first, since that works for me to get heavy oils out) and deep condition. I'm sure all is fine :)

enfys
November 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/09/28/is-mineral-oil-a-good-conditioner/

I think they have more on their site, but Beauty Brains says no.

ETA: Found this one too: http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/10/01/is-mineral-oil-good-for-split-ends/

danacc
November 28th, 2010, 07:00 PM
No worries, just wash to remove it. Getting mineral oil in your hair for a bit won't harm it.

(Dabur Vatika makes a wonderful coconut oil concoction that has no mineral oil, too. I'm sorry you ended up with the mineral oil one--it is frustrating to end up with something you didn't want!)

Igor
November 28th, 2010, 07:04 PM
From what I have seen from LHC there is a (loud) group of people voicing how much their hair hates mineral oil and how damaging it is, and a group that likes it, but honestly I think the majority uses products with mineral oil in without even realising its in there because their hair doesn’t react to it one way or another :shrug:

Dont panic. Wait until tomorrow and see what group you belong to :flower:

Carolyn
November 28th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I would CO wash tomorrow and see what happens. It may get the oil out. If it doesn't then do a wash with a sulfate shampoo. I doused my hair with Johnson's Baby Oil in college once and it took 2 shampooings to get it out but my hair was fine.

Heartwillfollow
November 28th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I would think your hair either likes it or doesn't like it.. I have used mineral oil in my hair many times over the years because I have used it in my bath oil mix and can't say it does any damage.

sunshine80
November 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I didnt know it could ruin your hair??? Im going to go check the 6 oils I bought today...I hope your hair is ok!

Kaijah
November 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Don't worry, using mineral oil isn't going to cause your hair to explode in a fit of rage or fall out or anything. It's like silicone - some people's hair can handle it, some can't. If you're really worried, just shampoo. Any old shampoo will work.

Additional reading; CurlChemist (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/mineral-oil-has-it-gotten-a-bad-rap)
Already have BeautyBrains links, and I can't think of any other helpful links off the top of my head. xD

Speckla
November 28th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Jojo,
It won't ruin your hair. I've always avoided it until recently. I bought some products that have mineral oil in them and my hair likes them just fine and it's doing ok. You just might have to shampoo more.

jojo
November 28th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Aww thank you everybody for the replies, my hair does feel as though its been overdosed with cones, but does actually feel ok if not a little greasy and Barbie doll hair. I will give it a good shampoo tomorrow and see how it goes. I actually broke in a sweat when I realised, feel a bit silly now for worrying!

Demetrue
November 28th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Unless you have a sensitivity to petroleum products (in which case mineral oil, vaseline and anything with petrolatum can cause severe rashes, hives, dermatitis) or you are going to slather it on your skin and sit out in the sun all day (mineral oil can cause photosensitivity), you should be fine. Mineral oil is the base of the ointments that burn clinics use to heal skin and promote healing of skin grafts, but if the patient is allergic to it, it can cause horrible blisters and rashes. If you are not allergic to it, not acne prone, and don't use it on skin exposed to direct sunlight, it can be an effective emollient, emulsifier and laxative ;>)

Speckla
November 28th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Unless you have a sensitivity to petroleum products (in which case mineral oil, vaseline and anything with petrolatum can cause severe rashes, hives, dermatitis) or you are going to slather it on your skin and sit out in the sun all day (mineral oil can cause photosensitivity), you should be fine. Mineral oil is the base of the ointments that burn clinics use to heal skin and promote healing of skin grafts, but if the patient is allergic to it, it can cause horrible blisters and rashes. If you are not allergic to it, not acne prone, and don't use it on skin exposed to direct sunlight, it can be an effective emollient, emulsifier and laxative ;>)

Don't lick your hair and you should be ok. :poot:

Anje
November 28th, 2010, 08:46 PM
You'll probably have more luck COing it out than shampooing it out. Mineral oil won't cause any harm (in fact, you may like it!), but if you start washing your hair with dish soap, that might.

littlenvy
November 28th, 2010, 09:17 PM
My hair LOVES mineral oil.
Well, at least right after. Few days later and I have to clarify. :? It very much acts like heavy cones on my hair. Nice shiny and conditioned but builds up real quick and it won't let any other product do its job.
But don't worry. It washes out just fine.

PS. Only Heavy Mineral oil is a laxative. Or rather a safe laxative.

ericthegreat
November 28th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I'm sure a one time accidental use couldn't have harmed your hair. Its only mineral oil, its not like you accidently bleached your hair or something like that! :D

I actually have a deep conditioning treatment that contains mineral oil. I don't always use it, nowadays I do a lot of coconut oilings but I will use this treatment from time to time and it hasn't harmed my hair at all. On the contrary, my hair is very soft and shiny afterward.

Since however you have expressed how you want the mineral oil removed from your hair, I would definitely suggest doing a decent CO. I have used the CO method myself to remove coconut oilings on my head, and it works very effectively. The conditioner I believes bonds to the oil more strongly, so it washes out much more effectively without drying out your hair like shampoo would do.

little_cherry
November 28th, 2010, 09:41 PM
My hair......loves mineral oil!

jojo
November 29th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Well I clarified this morning and it actually feels very nice but strange thing its lightened my henna. I hendigo and my hair is showing more red than brown today, I actually quite like it. all the mineral oil came out, but my hair felt strangely hard when wet, but a good dollop of conditioner sorted it out, but I actually think my hair liked it. It feels ever so soft now!