PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about cutting, advise please

Nyghtingale
November 28th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I am thinking about either getting bangs, or trimming the sides. Like Demi Moore has, where it is long but is like bobbed in front on sides. Anyone know what that cut is called? I have given it lots of thought, but can't make up my mind. Any advise would be appreciated. current length: http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab84/Lynnfamily/112710.jpg

Demetrue
November 28th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Omigosh, your hair is so gorgeous, I can't even imagine cutting it at all!!! What about curling just the front, on either side of your part to make waves?

sunshine80
November 28th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Do you think that you might regret it? I wish I was in your shoes! I love your long hair I would leave it but... How much would they have to take off? Maybe a cut that you can grow back in one year if you dont like it....I wish you the best!

christine1989
November 28th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I think they just call them face framing layers. I think it works on thick hair so if you have plenty of hair I would say go for it! I think that style looks great on long hair and would draw attention to you- not just your hair.

Demetrue
November 28th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Okay, I looked at your album and I think some "face framing layers" or very long feathered bangs, like cheek length would work, as long as they are not cut too deeply so you preserve most of your length.

jojo
November 28th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Oh I hope you don't cut, your hair is beautiful but if you was be 100% sure its what you want, a moment to cut and years to grow. I know every time ive cut ive regretted it. Please don't cut in haste, although hair does grow and its entirely your choice, maybe a few inches or even layers.

enfys
November 28th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Do you just mean chin length bangs? That's the closest thing I could find in Google.

They would be fairly easy to grow out if they annoy you but think of these things:
1. What will you do if they keep falling in your eyes? That length won't always stay behind your ears?
2. Will you miss the extra bit of thickness in your legnth?
3. Do you usually wear a parting?
4. How would you plan to wear them?

They won't be to drastic to grow out but having done it myself many times, and with our similar hair types, I know those things are things to think about.

chelles2kids
November 28th, 2010, 06:50 PM
:thudpile: Good gosh you have some beautiful hair woman!:thudpile:

Well a good general rule of thumb is to give yourself a two week waiting period before any kind of change, to make sure that you still feel the same way in two weeks as you do right now.

As for the bangs, speaking for me personally, after being without them for so many years, I think they would drive me bonkers on my forehead, especially in the summertime when it gets so hot.

As for the layers, which I agree with christine1989 about calling them "face framing" layers, I think this could be something you could do but still basically do the same styles as you do now.

Because ultimately, these would be long enough layers that if at some point you decide that you don't like them anymore they could still be pulled up into updos/buns/braids without them driving you crazy while they are growing out, unlike bangs.

I totally know where your coming from in just wanting a change or something different, I think we all kinda get into a "rut" sometimes with out hair, especially if you've been growing for several years, which obviously you have been with the length you have.

I don't want to discourage you from the bangs, if that's what you have your heart set on but I'm just throwing other "what ifs" out there for you to think about before you make the final decision.:flower:

Come back & let us know what you decide on.;)

Akiko
November 28th, 2010, 07:09 PM
long but is like bobbed in front on sides. Anyone know what that cut is called

I wonder if the cut you described is Hime Cut (pronounced "hee meh") . Hime (姫) means "princess" in Japanese. I don't think Demi Moore has that hairstyle, though.

I got very thin bangs a while ago and like them very much. I cut a very small amount and was surprised to see how it softened up my face. If you decide to add bangs, cut a small amount and see. You can always add more. There are lots of instruction videos on YouTube.

Nyghtingale
November 28th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments. I have been thinking about this since I hit classic length. /sigh. I can't believe I am even thinking about cutting any lengths when it took so long to grow out. But my hair is so straight, that I thought it would have more body/movement if it had some layering. I think that what I really need to do is learn more braiding and upstyles so I feel like I am doing more with it.

CarpeDM
November 30th, 2010, 03:37 PM
If I had your hair I wouldn't touch it!

feralnature
November 30th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I just want to say that your hair is beautiful!

Eire
November 30th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I think it would look pretty with some light layering and face-framing bangs. But then again, I'm not a fan of the all-one-length look on most people.

However, I admit that layers do make updos more difficult. I mostly just wear my hair down or tie the ends of the braid a little higher up so the stragglies don't stick out :)

faeflame
November 30th, 2010, 05:28 PM
You have the most gorgeous hair!!!!!!!!!!:thudpile:
I agree with the two week rule, really think this over and make sure it is what you want. After that, start small with just a bit of hair for bangs or layers- you can always cut more.

Changes are scary when you have so much time invested in your hair, but maybe just a teeeny tiiiiny change can alleviate the hair boredom and keep you from doing something drastic that you will truly regret.

My 13 yr old DD has curly tailbone lengthhair that had never been cut at all and she suddenly decided she hated her long, thick hair and wanted bangs( all the other girls she knows have straight, smooth shoulder length hair with side swept bangs). I was sure she would regret it and put her off off for months. She kept nagging me so I decided she was serious and maybe just a little bit of bangs would be ok and easy to grow out. I cut thin, brow brushing bangs in for her and she loves them and her hair again, plus she looks wonderful!!!!!!!!

Moral of the story-- be sure of what you want and do tiny changes if you must to love your hair again.

Deborah
November 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I would not cut anything if I were you. Those kinds of cuts always look sloppy and accidental to me, like the woman is trying to grow out bangs she no longer likes.

Maybe try some new updos or buy some nice new scarves or hairtoys instead. It sounds like you are simply bored. Long, straight hair is lovely on you.

CarpeDM
December 1st, 2010, 07:58 AM
Good points Deborah!

spidermom
December 1st, 2010, 09:10 AM
A little change can be good. I've had face-framing layers and loved them. It didn't take very long to grow them out to the point that I could pull them back and secure them with the rest of my hair, and it was so convenient to be able to do so that I've just let them grow for 3+ years now.

Your hair is gorgeous as is, though.

PartyPickle
December 1st, 2010, 01:24 PM
With you on the updos! I know I've cut my hair (and promptly started growing it out again :rolleyes: ) because I wasn't putting it up enough in fun ways. It really does give me the variety and change I need that prevents me from getting bored and chopping.