PDA

View Full Version : FIRST POST! :) Desperately need help re-growing from a 'chemical haircut'!!! :(

Maddy_T
November 28th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hey everyone!!,

I'm a long-time lurker of these forums and think you're all amazing! so I thought if anyone could help it would be all of you!. I have a bit of a DISASTER story that consists of too much bleach and broken hair to literally 1cm from my scalp! *cries* no one should ever bleach the hair! >=( haha. So in a depressed/angry fit I just completely shaved it! Now a month later it's just over an inch long, which is SUPER charged for me, usually I'd just get the normal 1/2" but maybe it's desperate to be long again!? or it's just so happy not to have chemicals it's being good? I'm not sure!. Anyway, I've just started taking (yesterday) 5000mcg of biotin and using M-T-G original nightly. How long did it take you guys to start seeing results? ALSO have any of you ever had significant amounts of breakage and had to chop a lot off? (sorry about all the questions) what other stuff is everyone using for extra fast hair growth? :) I'm so sorry if there are other similar threads, if so link me!! ;)

Thanks so much!!!! <3

mali
November 28th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Hey everyone!!,

I'm a long-time lurker of these forums and think you're all amazing! so I thought if anyone could help it would be all of you!. I have a bit of a DISASTER story that consists of too much bleach and broken hair to literally 1cm from my scalp! *cries* no one should ever bleach the hair! >=( haha. So in a depressed/angry fit I just completely shaved it! Now a month later it's just over an inch long, which is SUPER charged for me, usually I'd just get the normal 1/2" but maybe it's desperate to be long again!? or it's just so happy not to have chemicals it's being good? I'm not sure!. Anyway, I've just started taking (yesterday) 5000mcg of biotin and using M-T-G original nightly. How long did it take you guys to start seeing results? ALSO have any of you ever had significant amounts of breakage and had to chop a lot off? (sorry about all the questions) what other stuff is everyone using for extra fast hair growth? :) I'm so sorry if there are other similar threads, if so link me!! ;)

Thanks so much!!!! <3

I had high lites bleached into my hair.It was horrible.I had to cut 1 inch of highlited hair! And the two highlites were chunky too!
You made the right decision by chopping it all off.Well,shaving it.There are lots of members here that started from scratch (bald) and now have gorgeous hair.For example,Igor,shaved it off years ago and now has beautiful knee length hair! Biotin will help.Here is the link to a Vitamin & Supplements Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56223&highlight=biotin).

I wish you well in your growing journey!:)

spidermom
November 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Stock up on patience; having it helps the most.

vanity_acefake
November 28th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Welcome. I know all too well the disasters of bleaching your hair and having to cut it off due to frying it to death. On a good note you will now have beautiful virgin hair and as long as you avoid the temptation to bleach it again you will find it grows better. Good luck on your hair journey.

Lianna
November 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I haven't cut it because of damage, just because I wanted to try it, I had almost 2 inch hair a while ago (a year and couple of months ago). I lurked here a while back then, after some months joined, lurked more :D than decided to be more active around june (my first length pic). I saw your getting along already in the super shortie thread! :) :flower:

Pixies grow out get full pretty quick, soon you'll feel you have a lot more hair. That's the stage I saw most progress monthly. Welcome and good luck. :blossom:

ETA: I did some trims along the way, I like even ends. It's still pretty layered, but the ends don't look choppy.

sunshine80
November 28th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Hey maddy! I am right there with you!! I feel your pain! I curse bleach!!!! I started from 1 inch on march 2010...I have 5 inches of new growth...but just last month have I started the whole " i need to grow my hair more than a half an inch a month or they are going to have to take me to the looney bin"!!!!

So last month I started taking a multi and 5000 biotin plus a whole diet change
next month I will start the monistat 7!

I also just went oil shopping and just gave my self an oil massage! so let rock on girl and get our hair back!!!

christine1989
November 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Its great that you were brave enough to cut it all and give yourself a fresh start. That way you will not have that awful two tone hair from the growing out process. Just staying away from dye should keep it from breaking again. As it gets longer though you may want to think about washing with conditioner since shampoo can be quite drying. the biotin is a good idea too. I took it and it thickened my hair quite a bit but did not help it grow much. Horsetail suppliments on the other hand did give my hair a nice growth spurt so it may be worth a try as well.

Rabya-Khadija
November 28th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I had a bad experience with bleach, I was trying to get streaks but it kept going red.. so I went over and over again with the stuff for hours and the parts I was bleaching went like chewing gum and ripped out. This was when I was about 14 and haven't touched it since! Evil stuff!

Maddy_T
November 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I haven't cut it because of damage, just because I wanted to try it, I had almost 2 inch hair a while ago (a year and couple of months ago). I lurked here a while back then, after some months joined, lurked more :D than decided to be more active around june (my first length pic). I saw your getting along already in the super shortie thread! :) :flower:

Pixies grow out get full pretty quick, soon you'll feel you have a lot more hair. That's the stage I saw most progress monthly. Welcome and good luck. :blossom:

ETA: I did some trims along the way, I like even ends. It's still pretty layered, but the ends don't look choppy.
:):)!!! Loving the super shortie thread;) I can't wait 'til my hair gets to a longer pixie!, i have such little patience though so it's very annoying waking up each morning and thinking it hasn't grown any longer!!.

Maddy_T
November 28th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Hey maddy! I am right there with you!! I feel your pain! I curse bleach!!!! I started from 1 inch on march 2010...I have 5 inches of new growth...but just last month have I started the whole " i need to grow my hair more than a half an inch a month or they are going to have to take me to the looney bin"!!!!

So last month I started taking a multi and 5000 biotin plus a whole diet change
next month I will start the monistat 7!

I also just went oil shopping and just gave my self an oil massage! so let rock on girl and get our hair back!!!
YAY! yeah, we'll get it back!;) I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm so obsessed with growth now I'm going to have to be taken away!. There are so many things on my to-buy list now!. Monistat sounds like a good idea!! 5" would be SO good right now.

Maddy_T
November 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Its great that you were brave enough to cut it all and give yourself a fresh start. That way you will not have that awful two tone hair from the growing out process. Just staying away from dye should keep it from breaking again. As it gets longer though you may want to think about washing with conditioner since shampoo can be quite drying. the biotin is a good idea too. I took it and it thickened my hair quite a bit but did not help it grow much. Horsetail suppliments on the other hand did give my hair a nice growth spurt so it may be worth a try as well.
Thanks so much! :) DEFINITELY going to try the horsetail stuff!

christine1989
November 28th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks so much! :) DEFINITELY going to try the horsetail stuff!

It looks icky like alfalfa crammed into a pill capsule but it made my hair grow 2.5 inches in a month! :cheese: I hear you only get results if you cycle on and off of it so I bought a new bottle and am going to try it again hoping for another growth spurt.

Maddy_T
November 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM
It looks icky like alfalfa crammed into a pill capsule but it made my hair grow 2.5 inches in a month! :cheese: I hear you only get results if you cycle on and off of it so I bought a new bottle and am going to try it again hoping for another growth spurt.
:O!!!! Oh my gosh! 2.5 inches is so crazy. You're so lucky!! I hope I can get the same results. How many mcg were you taking?

DreadfulWoman
November 28th, 2010, 06:33 PM
My best advice for you: Have patience, keep haunting the threads around here, and stay away from the bleach! I too have shaved my head after a bleach disaster. Not so much because of the damage (although it was damaged), but because it looked awful, and after several months of tolerating it I figured I'd probably look better bald (totally did).

Oh, one last thing - beware the mullet-y stage. It's very trying. More info here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57611), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31972), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=36045), and here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8671). Personally, I cut mine into a bob when it started to annoy me. HTH ;)

redneckprincess
November 28th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I am a bleach disaster survivor too, though I didn't have the guts to shave it,( I almost did, but wasn't drunk enough) anyways I got a pixie. I have pics in my albums when you can see them, feel free to. If you have any questions, feel free to sak. Also SPIDERMOM is right, a little paitience goes a LONG way!!
Also No cutting or chemicals. And taking pictures proves that the magic is truely growing!!
Biotin is my lifesaver!!!

Maddy_T
November 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM
My best advice for you: Have patience, keep haunting the threads around here, and stay away from the bleach! I too have shaved my head after a bleach disaster. Not so much because of the damage (although it was damaged), but because it looked awful, and after several months of tolerating it I figured I'd probably look better bald (totally did).

Oh, one last thing - beware the mullet-y stage. It's very trying. More info here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57611), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31972), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=36045), and here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8671). Personally, I cut mine into a bob when it started to annoy me. HTH ;)
Ohhhhhhh nooo!!! lurking these now... so not looking forward to this! :( the mullet stage sounds horrible. Even though I was hysteric when I realised I had NO hair I think I look better bald too as opposed to bleached! :/ and I also got to find out I don't have a really strange head shape!... yay..

sunshine80
November 28th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Maddy the "really strange head shape" comment is so funny!!!:cheese: After my sister burned my hair I was like im going to shave it but then I thought with my luck I would have a funny looking head hahahaha!

Maddy_T
November 28th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Maddy the "really strange head shape" comment is so funny!!!:cheese: After my sister burned my hair I was like im going to shave it but then I thought with my luck I would have a funny looking head hahahaha!
:D hahaha aw, i'm sure you wouldn't.. I thought that too because both my parents have crazy head shapes!. You should force your sister to give you scalp massages NIGHTLY after burning your locks!

DreadfulWoman
November 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM
and I also got to find out I don't have a really strange head shape!... yay..

Haha, same here. It is strangely satisfying to know that I have a fairly attractive head under all that hair. :p

Maddy_T
November 28th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Haha, same here. It is strangely satisfying to know that I have a fairly attractive head under all that hair. :p
Hahaha yay for us!! ;) how long did it take to grow out your hair to its current length???

UltraBella
November 28th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I think the thing that helps the most while growing is not thinking about it so much. If you are focused on it and constantly thinking about it, every inch takes an agonizingly long time. I have never had hair as short as yours so I imagine it is even more difficult to have patience when you are just starting from scratch. But, it will grow and you will get there !
My hair is bleached and I am lucky and thankful that I have never had damage or an issue because I am sure it would be quite upsetting. I have learned over the years that my hair is practically indestructible so I don't worry about it much.
Good luck to you and hang in there !

DreadfulWoman
November 28th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Hahaha yay for us!! ;) how long did it take to grow out your hair to its current length???

I shaved it bald when I was 19, and I'm at tailbone length now at 28, but it seems like dreads take much longer to grow than undreaded hair. I believe it took me just a year or two to get from being shaved bald to a proper bob. I'm not sure, though. If you want to get a sense of the average timeline, the question might be better answered by someone who has done this more recently...

Anyone?

I think UltraBella is spot on about this, btw. A great way to make it seem like your hair is growing fast is to enjoy every stage it goes through along the way. Having super short hair can be lots of fun, so you might as well enjoy it while you've got it.

mali
November 29th, 2010, 02:15 AM
If your growth is 1/2 inches a month,it will probably take ...5 years to reach BSL.This is for the average type,your hair can grow a lot faster that that,so it may take less! Good luck!

Maddy_T
November 29th, 2010, 03:08 AM
If your growth is 1/2 inches a month,it will probably take ...5 years to reach BSL.This is for the average type,your hair can grow a lot faster that that,so it may take less! Good luck!
Oh gosh I'm hoping it gets there in less than 5 years!! :( As I said in the first post it's grown 1.5" in the month since I cut it, hopefully it wasn't just a one off!! Is anyone consistently getting over 1" per month on the forums? :)

mrs_coffee
November 29th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I had to do the same thing. I had permed hair and I got the bright idea to put Sun-In on top of the perm. I ended up with hair that resembled an orange Brillo pad. It was disastrous and I ended up chopping my hair super-duper short. It's tough right now, but you'll be glad you started fresh and it will grow. Probably not as fast as you'd like, but it will get there.

torrilin
November 29th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Yes, I average around 1" a month... But...

I've also got really fine, fragile and delicate hair. It splits really easily. Short is hellish, because it grows quickly and is so fine and floaty. Hair in my eyes. Hair in my mouth. Hair causing itches in strange places. I'm never really comfortable until I can routinely do plain braids.

Seriously, the best thing you can do is handle it gently, and ignore it.

FrannyG
November 29th, 2010, 07:18 AM
About 13 years ago, I had the bright idea to dye my hair red, but it faded into a horrible brown shade. I had it bleached to get back to blonde, and my hair was just like mush and I had a lot of breakage. So I had it cut to about 1 inch at the longest point.

Within another month, it started to look like a proper haircut. Here's how I dealt with the wait to longer hair.

First of all, I made a point of enjoying every stage of growth. At each stage, I tried to think up ways to wear my hair in a new way.

I would use various barrettes and clips, and when it got a little longer, I would change up my part, or use curlers to get a new look.

Secondly, I didn't focus on any length goals. I just took it day by day.

Thirdly, I took as good care of my hair as I could. Mind you, I didn't have the knowledge that I have since joining LHC back then.

Honestly, I found the grow-out to be much easier and quicker than I ever expected.

I have never taken supplements, so I can't comment on that. I have a fairly good growth rate anyway.

I wish you much patience and enjoyment on your journey. :blossom:

jojo
November 29th, 2010, 07:42 AM
My hair was a little longer than yours back in 2005, but the back bit was near enough shaved and the sides top of the ear with multiple layers. I didn't ask for this but thats another thread but my hair is now waist. I would also estimate around 5 years with your present length to get to BSL maybe a tad longer.

My advice would also be patience and lots of babying as in deep conditioning treatments and no bleach. As it gets longer cutting splits as you find them and regular oilings will help eliminate any possible damage. Putting it up also will help when its at a certain length where it can get caught under bag straps or the wind whips it.

Other than that don't get too hung up on its length but concentrate on keeping it as healthy as possible, air drying it and taking regular photos will help also. It's going to be a long journey for you but you will get there, hair is very forgiving if treated correctly but at the end of the day it grows!

I am in favour of the vitamins as they have worked wonders for my growth and hair health but no matter what you take your not going to wake up with a foot of hair, but you will reach your goal. Keep posting and even write a blog, they are great to read back on and also read other peoples blogs for encouragement.

Wishing you all the very best and welcome to LHC. I look forward to reading and seeing your progress xx

morecowbell
November 29th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Hey everyone!!,

Thanks so much!!!! <3

Just wanted to lend my support here. I've had the exact same experience as you have (only it was bleach, then a perm, then shaving lol). My hair was absolute mush after the perm, and I didn't even try to save it. As soon as it was dry I got out my Mom's hair clipper and buzzed my hair down to 3/4" twice (a month apart) to get rid of all the damage, and grew out to a bob within a year. It's hard to tell what length I would be at today if I hadn't cut my hair twice since then, but I'm just past APL now about four years later. (It shouldn't take you that long to get to APL if you don't cut like I did)
In terms of speeding growth, daily multivitamins and scalp massages have increased my growth noticeably.

Good luck on your journey! You'll find plenty of support here :)

mali
November 29th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Oh gosh I'm hoping it gets there in less than 5 years!! :( As I said in the first post it's grown 1.5" in the month since I cut it, hopefully it wasn't just a one off!! Is anyone consistently getting over 1" per month on the forums? :)

Those 1.5 inches may be from a grow spurt,or you may be lucky.My hair grows 10 inches a year.

aenflex
November 29th, 2010, 12:38 PM
There are a few members here who have grown from a shaved head and it's cool to watch their stories unfold. I hope you start an album :)

Dyefree
November 29th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I feel your pain. EVIL bleach!! Wrecked my hair a few months ago, and I have/ had double/ triple bleached, with dye on top AND everyday heat styling, ironing and curling.... Pheeeew... Oh yeah and did I mention the extensions I'd been wearing for 5 or 6 years... CONTINUOUSLY .... ;)

So my hair is pretty...... Bummed, to put it gently.

I WISH I had the guts to shave it all off, but I can't and dh has pleaded with me to not do it.... So I can't... But I am tempted to go pixie.... :o

I did chop off a good 4 inches a few weeks ago so although I don't have any splits on the ends, the upper layers are a mess... I'm keeping myself sane by conditioner only washes and pinning it up with no heat styling or dying....

Im taking prenatal (can't hurt as I'm breastfeeding anyway) along with silica and msm supplements. So far I have 1.5 inch regrowth in 2 months which is a little over average for me :)

Good luck! Great place here. You will learn LOADS :cheese:

Maddy_T
November 29th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I had to do the same thing. I had permed hair and I got the bright idea to put Sun-In on top of the perm. I ended up with hair that resembled an orange Brillo pad. It was disastrous and I ended up chopping my hair super-duper short. It's tough right now, but you'll be glad you started fresh and it will grow. Probably not as fast as you'd like, but it will get there.
AHHHH not the old sun-in!!! i've had even more traumas with that stuff earlier in highschool. Horrible horrible product!!!

Maddy_T
November 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Just wanted to lend my support here. I've had the exact same experience as you have (only it was bleach, then a perm, then shaving lol). My hair was absolute mush after the perm, and I didn't even try to save it. As soon as it was dry I got out my Mom's hair clipper and buzzed my hair down to 3/4" twice (a month apart) to get rid of all the damage, and grew out to a bob within a year. It's hard to tell what length I would be at today if I hadn't cut my hair twice since then, but I'm just past APL now about four years later. (It shouldn't take you that long to get to APL if you don't cut like I did)
In terms of speeding growth, daily multivitamins and scalp massages have increased my growth noticeably.

Good luck on your journey! You'll find plenty of support here :)
Hahaha oh gosh! where do we get these brilliant ideas to bleach and perm the life out of our hair!! :( the grossest part about mine was when my hair was all breaking off the inside of the hair was all swollen and POWDERY! like, white and chalky.. Does anyone know what this was? it was pretty scary! Thank god it's over!!

Maddy_T
November 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I feel your pain. EVIL bleach!! Wrecked my hair a few months ago, and I have/ had double/ triple bleached, with dye on top AND everyday heat styling, ironing and curling.... Pheeeew... Oh yeah and did I mention the extensions I'd been wearing for 5 or 6 years... CONTINUOUSLY .... ;)

So my hair is pretty...... Bummed, to put it gently.

I WISH I had the guts to shave it all off, but I can't and dh has pleaded with me to not do it.... So I can't... But I am tempted to go pixie.... :o

I did chop off a good 4 inches a few weeks ago so although I don't have any splits on the ends, the upper layers are a mess... I'm keeping myself sane by conditioner only washes and pinning it up with no heat styling or dying....

Im taking prenatal (can't hurt as I'm breastfeeding anyway) along with silica and msm supplements. So far I have 1.5 inch regrowth in 2 months which is a little over average for me :)

Good luck! Great place here. You will learn LOADS :cheese:
YAY go pixie for sure;) haha! desperate for everyone to re-grow their hair with me now!.. your growth sounds good! I need to invest in some more supplements!.

MsKafka
September 8th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Haunting this old threat for extra inspiration lol. I bleach sprayed and tried to perm my hair (it didn't take) and now I'm at the crossroads of shave it or micro trim it.