PDA

View Full Version : Perceptions

Debra83
November 28th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I just posted this in another thread...

My latest hair saga is that when I see my hair in pics now, it looks shorter to me than it does when I look in the mirror. Used to be the other way around. Pics made my hair look longer than I was seeing in the mirror. Anybody else go through that? How does that happen? Warped perception of reality? Which one is right?

...and I was just wondering if anyone else goes through this?

DARKMARTIAN
November 28th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I totally think that my hair looks longer in pictures than in the mirror.
I read that dept stores actually buy purposefully warped mirrors that impart a subtle slimming effect in the reflection. Tis supposed to be a way of unconsciously urging the customer to make the purchase. Perhaps we're getting a hold of some mirrors that are exhibiting the same effect.
I can only hope......

....I sure hope the camera is right.......:o

christine1989
November 28th, 2010, 04:09 PM
My hair used look the same in pictures as it did in the mirror but now it looks longer (and prettier) in pictures. :confused: When I look at my album it looks so different than it does in real life. Part of that is due to the flourescent lighting in my bathroom but I don't know what accounts for the length difference.

ericthegreat
November 28th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I totally think that my hair looks longer in pictures than in the mirror.

....I sure hope the camera is right.......:o

I have this same kind of hair length dysmorphic disorder! I am usually always surprised at how long my hair actually is in pictures as opposed to how I see my own hair in real life. For some reason, on my own body my hair just doesn't "feel" like it is as long as pictures show my hair to be.

It might very well be the way the camera takes our photo, all the factors of angle, light and shadow that distorts our actual real image into the picture that we see developed.

DARKMARTIAN
November 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I have this same kind of hair length dysmorphic disorder! I am usually always surprised at how long my hair actually is in pictures as opposed to how I see my own hair in real life. For some reason, on my own body my hair just doesn't "feel" like it is as long as pictures show my hair to be.

It might very well be the way the camera takes our photo, all the factors of angle, light and shadow that distorts our actual real image into the picture that we see developed.

It very well could just be the fact that we tend to disregard the photos we dont like and focus on the ones that "meet with our approval".
But now that I think about it though...there are a lot of variables at work here....:o

Pifkin
November 28th, 2010, 05:27 PM
The same thing happened with me when I looked at some pictures taken of myself a few days ago - my hair looked shorter in them than in the mirror. I was really upset :(

I read that dept stores actually buy purposefully warped mirrors that impart a subtle slimming effect in the reflection. Tis supposed to be a way of unconsciously urging the customer to make the purchase.
I totally believe this. Clothes that look good on me when I try them on in the store will look awful on me when I get home and take all the tags off :mad:

redneckprincess
November 28th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I'm having the oppisite issue right now, no way my hair is as long as the picture shows!! I mean it must be but it just don't seem/feel like it in real life... I'm usually about 4-6months behind on how long my hair seems/feels to me.

Debra83
November 28th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I'm having the oppisite issue right now, no way my hair is as long as the picture shows!! I mean it must be but it just don't seem/feel like it in real life... I'm usually about 4-6months behind on how long my hair seems/feels to me.

That's how I used to be all the time. I was shocked at the pics! Really! Now, I'm always disappointed! :(

littlenvy
November 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Funny you said that Debra, I was thinking something along those lines few weeks ago.
Looked over my picks from beginning of August and end of October and there seemed to be no progress yet when I looked in the mirror I can see that its longer. I also know its growing because of the roots. ;)
And then it hit me. When I did the first set of pics I did the classic newbie mistake and tilted my head back, making my hair look at least couple of inches longer. :o

Roseate
November 28th, 2010, 09:04 PM

I am like this too! I haven't changed my avatar in probably a year, because I still feel like my hair is that same length. In pictures, it's longer.

It doesn't help that the mirror in my bathroom is hung too high to even show the ends of my hair any more!

I've given up. I don't know how long my hair is, I just know it's longer today than it was yesterday.

dropinthebucket
November 28th, 2010, 09:18 PM
But now that I think about it though...there are a lot of variables at work here....:o

This ^ . . . focal length, distance from subject, head tilted, Intelligent Auto, Landscape mode - 13yo son taking picture! :D lots of variables.

Debra83
November 29th, 2010, 08:46 AM
This ^ . . . focal length, distance from subject, head tilted, Intelligent Auto, Landscape mode - 13yo son taking picture! :D lots of variables.

I guess so. I stand in the same place pretty much (bathroom), though, and use the same cell phone camera each and every time. I may do the tilted head thingy though, but you wouldn't think it would be that different in these later months taking pictures. I wonder if I'm getting mechanical damage somehow, somewhere? I haven't noticed an increase in shedding anywhere. I'm really at a loss to explain it. :o Also, I know I am growing, and haven't hit a stall, because I'm trying a "hair growth secret" I got off you tube about a week ago, and already I've had to henna because all my roots were showing, a good chunk of them too! I called my son in to witness even! I usually henna every 3-4 weeks, but I HAD to henna in less than two weeks. Winter is usually a slow time for me too. Before I get too excited about that though, I'm giving it a month before I start a separate thread about it. It still doesn't explain why I'm "seeing" my hair as shorter in pictures, than I do in real life, when it used to be the other way around!

I don't think I'm eating less chocolate.....but maybe I should increase just in case?!!! ;)

Coan-Teen
November 29th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I guess so. I stand in the same place pretty much (bathroom), though, and use the same cell phone camera each and every time. I may do the tilted head thingy though, but you wouldn't think it would be that different in these later months taking pictures. I wonder if I'm getting mechanical damage somehow, somewhere? I haven't noticed an increase in shedding anywhere. I'm really at a loss to explain it. :o Also, I know I am growing, and haven't hit a stall, because I'm trying a "hair growth secret" I got off you tube about a week ago, and already I've had to henna because all my roots were showing, a good chunk of them too! I called my son in to witness even! I usually henna every 3-4 weeks, but I HAD to henna in less than two weeks. Winter is usually a slow time for me too. Before I get too excited about that though, I'm giving it a month before I start a separate thread about it. It still doesn't explain why I'm "seeing" my hair as shorter in pictures, than I do in real life, when it used to be the other way around!

I don't think I'm eating less chocolate.....but maybe I should increase just in case?!!! ;)

I don't suppose your hair growth secret is mass amounts of chocolate is it? Because that is a program I could get behind. :D

xoxophelia
November 29th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I am like this too! I haven't changed my avatar in probably a year, because I still feel like my hair is that same length. In pictures, it's longer.

It doesn't help that the mirror in my bathroom is hung too high to even show the ends of my hair any more!

I've given up. I don't know how long my hair is, I just know it's longer today than it was yesterday.

haha.. this is completely my attitude as well

Unofficial_Rose
November 29th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I don't suppose your hair growth secret is mass amounts of chocolate is it? Because that is a program I could get behind. :D

Heh! I've already got behind that one. :) :chocolate:But if body looks bigger, hair will look smaller. :eek:

My hair always looks shorter in photos to what I think it is IRL. Photos from the back look about right, but it looks much shorter than it feels when photographed form the front. So disappointing!

Debra83
November 29th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Heh! I've already got behind that one. :) :chocolate:But if body looks bigger, hair will look smaller. :eek:

My hair always looks shorter in photos to what I think it is IRL. Photos from the back look about right, but it looks much shorter than it feels when photographed form the front. So disappointing!

I WISH THAT WAS THE SECRET!!!! NOM...NOM...NOM!!! :happydance:

redneckprincess
November 30th, 2010, 01:43 PM
So what IS "the secret"? Or how can I find it on youtube?

I wonder if maybe its my hemline being shorter over my shoulders, and longer in the middle. So when I see it more straight on it looks longer?
Do you (anyone) think I have a V or U shaped hemline? Or that THAT could be what makes my perception off?

Avital88
November 30th, 2010, 02:08 PM
too bad, i actually still see it shorter in the mirror than on pictures. im always kinda shocked about the lenght on pictures..but luckily(still) in a good way

Debra83
November 30th, 2010, 03:09 PM

I wonder if maybe its my hemline being shorter over my shoulders, and longer in the middle. So when I see it more straight on it looks longer?
Do you (anyone) think I have a V or U shaped hemline? Or that THAT could be what makes my perception off?

In your December 2010 photo (how did you get there faster than me!!!), it's hard to tell if the piece over your shoulder is folded or not? Looks like a U shape....if it is a U....then your explanation is a very good one as to why we get shocked when we see the back. I believe I'm pretty even now, maybe that's why I'm disappointed all the time now!

Debra83
November 30th, 2010, 03:10 PM
too bad, i actually still see it shorter in the mirror than on pictures. im always kinda shocked about the lenght on pictures..but luckily(still) in a good way

I always liked that surprise feeling! I miss it!!! :(

Debra83
November 30th, 2010, 03:19 PM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=17299

redneckprincess
November 30th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Yes the sides are layered all the way up to my bangs more or less...face framing and all ya know..so I think there is a slight U formation going on..

Debra83
December 2nd, 2010, 04:46 PM
Yes the sides are layered all the way up to my bangs more or less...face framing and all ya know..so I think there is a slight U formation going on..

I like it like that, but I'm amazed at how fast your hair is growing. I like the colour now too. :)

redneckprincess
December 4th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I like it like that, but I'm amazed at how fast your hair is growing. I like the colour now too. :)
thank you so much!!

jaine
December 4th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I also have a U-shape making it look shorter to me in the mirror. When I look at the front of it in a mirror I see "almost shoulder length" but when I look at pictures of the back, I see "slightly past shoulder."