PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials

sibylla
November 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Is it only me or wouldnīt it be nice to have a sub-forum (or forum) with tutorials that are video clips? I search Youtube when I want to learn a new updo because itīs easier for me to follow visual instructions.

Igor
November 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hey, I like that idea :thumbsup: So many people have their own YouTube channels, it would be nice to have them all gathered up instead of stumbling over the links more or less by coincidence

christine1989
November 28th, 2010, 04:06 PM
That is a fantastic idea! There are great hair tutorials on Youtube but you have to sift through a lot of crap to get to them. It would be great to have all of the gems in one place.

Valdeon
November 28th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Amazing idea! It would save so much time trying to find really good hair friendly tutorials on YT :joy:

MinderMutsig
November 28th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Love the idea! It would be great if they would also be categorized according to hair length and difficulty.

sparkle'n'bling
November 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Brilliant idea!

sarahramen
November 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM
yes this would be amazing, and so helpful especially the length part...:)

Kathie
November 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
you mean something like this... while they're not all videos there are links to many that are

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235

enfys
November 28th, 2010, 04:53 PM
That's a monster task I'm not volunteering for!

It would be lovely but so broad to try and do.

MinderMutsig
November 29th, 2010, 06:43 AM
That's a monster task I'm not volunteering for!

It would be lovely but so broad to try and do.

Well, we could make it a community effort. If there are threads that specify APL updo's, BSL updo's, waist updo's etc. we could all pitch in and link to videos and threads that give instructions on how to do them.

I know I have a couple bookmarked that are suitable for my length and my guess is most of us do. It shouldn't have to be an monster task for one person if everyone links their bookmarked stuff.
If all of those links are then added to the first post so they are easy to find it would make a great collection.

pepperminttea
November 29th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I do like this idea, but the problem with sorting them by APL, BSL, etc., is that things some people can do at one milestone will be different for others. Someone with i thickness at BSL can often do more buns than someone with iii thickness at waist.

I would love to see all the good videos compiled somewhere though, and would be happy to help; I've got quite a handful in my youtube favourites. :)

Marjolein
November 29th, 2010, 07:14 AM
That's a great idea! It would be nice to have a database with LHC approved video tutorials ;)

enfys
November 29th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Well, we could make it a community effort. If there are threads that specify APL updo's, BSL updo's, waist updo's etc. we could all pitch in and link to videos and threads that give instructions on how to do them.

I know I have a couple bookmarked that are suitable for my length and my guess is most of us do. It shouldn't have to be an monster task for one person if everyone links their bookmarked stuff.
If all of those links are then added to the first post so they are easy to find it would make a great collection.

That's the problem; adding them to the first post. That can be done by a mod or the OP. The mods are busy people and the OP is only human! I started an articles index but I only got so far with it before I started getting all cross eyes. It took me hours. Now it's out of date because no one told me when a new article went up, and i've not looked at it for months; real life gets in the way of that stuff. Getting all those links to work properly takes time that many of us don't have.

Also, what can be done at what length varies by thickness, texture, length, and probably more besides!

MinderMutsig
November 29th, 2010, 07:59 AM
True, thickness does effect what styles you can do but it does give some indication what to look for at certain lengths.

Something like this can only work if everyone can edit and add updo's and it isn't dependent on one (or a small group) of people. Mods have enough to do as it is and like Enfys said, an OP can only do so much.

I think a database like that would be incredibly helpful to everyone and I think we should be able to come up with a working solution to this if we all put our heads together. It's worth it to brianstorm about at the very least.

There must be a way to set this up so it isn't burdening anyone except if they want to burden themselves with it. Maybe a wiki type of set-up where all members can add and edit? At least that wouldn't put more stress on the mods.

enfys
November 29th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Yes, from what I understand of a Wiki that could work. I think for anyone to contribute it would need to be done seperately from this site. I don't know a way anyone can edit a post here and relying on comments would get quite unwieldly :lol:

MinderMutsig
November 29th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I *think* (but I'm not that much of a techie :o ) that it's possible to incorporate a wiki into an existing site and to set it up so members can all add and edit but mods still have extra privileges like locking a certain article when it is being trolled.

Not that I expect bun tutorial pages to be trolled but you never know... :D

Of course that would require someone with admin rights to set it up and consequently would burden the mods again so maybe having it completely separate from LHC might not be such a bad idea.

I'd love to hear what the mods and admins have to say about this!

sibylla
November 29th, 2010, 04:36 PM
It could be made easy with BUNS BRAIDS and OTHER. No need to complicate it I think. It could be narrowed down to LHC members own tutorials to begin with. We have a few and it would be a good idea,I think, to have them listed somewhere. In this way the task is not so big..but hey Rome wasnīt built in one day.

picklepie
November 30th, 2010, 07:20 PM
And here I was feeling foolish that I couldn't find such a thing already-- I assumed it must exist somewhere!

Great idea, I look forward to what happens with this!

little_cherry
November 30th, 2010, 07:23 PM
It would be a great idea if the server can handle it!