PDA

View Full Version : Using hot water bad?

littlestarface
November 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I take hot showers espeshly in winter time in summer I do hot/warm water but I seen in a thread that hot water is bad for the hair and it will damage them? Is this true?

Should I just wash my hair in cold water but lets say I do wash in cold water, how will the oil or any deep treatment be washed out properly? I would think oil needs warm water to dissolve with the shampoo :confused:

enfys
November 28th, 2010, 11:55 AM
A thread came up on this recently, it might be of some use to you: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=58861

I wash in warm water. Cold water didn't produce any great benefits to justify it, and hot water scalds so I still to cool/warm.

I've never had issues with not washing out even the heaviest oilings or deep treatments with lower temperatures, including coconut oil which is usually solid at room temperature in the UK.

DARKMARTIAN
November 28th, 2010, 12:06 PM
This is a bit OT.......but if you want a wonderful sensation.....do this. Find one of those really nice showers. Ya know...with two shower heads. And turn one spout on pure hot water.....and the other on cold. Then forget what you heard on Ghostbusters....and cross the streams. Converge them on you. The resulting effect is quite nice.....:) If done right you can feel both the cold and the hot and then the middle ground warmth.....

littlestarface
November 28th, 2010, 01:04 PM
This is a bit OT.......but if you want a wonderful sensation.....do this. Find one of those really nice showers. Ya know...with two shower heads. And turn one spout on pure hot water.....and the other on cold. Then forget what you heard on Ghostbusters....and cross the streams. Converge them on you. The resulting effect is quite nice.....:) If done right you can feel both the cold and the hot and then the middle ground warmth.....
lol I would probably burn myself then freeze myself a very funny experience it would be though :lol:

littlestarface
November 28th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks so much for that thread enfys :D

I was wondering cause when I try to wash off oil off my hands with cold water and soap it doesnt wash off easily so I figured it wouldve been harder to wash out when its in the hair.

enfys
November 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM
No problem :D

I certainly don't wash my hair with cold-tap-cold water shudder: I think I'd sooner cut my hair than sign up to a lifetime of that. Seriously!

littlestarface
November 28th, 2010, 01:23 PM
No problem :D

I certainly don't wash my hair with cold-tap-cold water shudder: I think I'd sooner cut my hair than sign up to a lifetime of that. Seriously!
Tell me about it it sends shivers up my spine thinking of cold water on my scalp, like shock therapy *shudder* no thanks ill stick to warm/hot screw it.

Dreamkitty
November 28th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I used to wash with water that was warm going on a bit hot in the past but Ive stopped that as I know it is bad.

I tried washing with cold water only because I heard that is makes hair shiny but I got a headache after that and was on the verge of developing a cold:(.

Lukewarm is the best, in winter. And colder lukewarm is good in the summer.:)

littlestarface
November 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I used to wash with water that was warm going on a bit hot in the past but Ive stopped that as I know it is bad.

I tried washing with cold water only because I heard that is makes hair shiny but I got a headache after that and was on the verge of developing a cold:(.

Lukewarm is the best, in winter. And colder lukewarm is good in the summer.:)
Ill try lukewarm water ill see if I can handle that :)

little_cherry
November 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hot water raises the cuticles and makes the hair feel rough...warm-lukewarm water is by far the best, followed by a cool rinse.

Heartwillfollow
November 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I'm a steam the bathroom up with hot baths... I mix a little cold water in there as I go along lol lol ... Must be the EVOO and the castor oil I put in my bath that leaves my skin and hair so nice and silky afterwards for days ... So I don't think it's bad...

Things I have changed since joining LHC, I don't go outside in the cold with my hair wet, and I have learned to keep my hair covered since winter has started and that has made a huge difference keeping my hair soft longer..

littlestarface
November 28th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'm a steam the bathroom up with hot baths... I mix a little cold water in there as I go along lol lol ... Must be the EVOO and the castor oil I put in my bath that leaves my skin and hair so nice and silky afterwards for days ... So I don't think it's bad...

Things I have changed since joining LHC, I don't go outside in the cold with my hair wet, and I have learned to keep my hair covered since winter has started and that has made a huge difference keeping my hair soft longer..
Lol Im the same way I love it all steamy. Whenever I wash my hair I never feel it rough or anything it feels silky smooth until I get out of the shower than its tangles galore :rolleyes: unless I use conditioner. Once I did a cold water rinse and it made my hair feel ugly all rough and not smooth I hated it so I cant try that one again.

Im thinking about using an oil after I wash my hair for a leave in treatment but im so scared im going to leave it oily and have to wash again :(

I hate washing my hair its such a pain my backside,the only thing I hate about long hair is when its wet :rolleyes:

pepperminttea
November 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I wash with lukewarm-cool water, always finishing with a cold rinse. I've never had trouble getting deep oilings out.

nytquill
November 28th, 2010, 04:25 PM
It depends on the hair. Hot-hot water is never going to be GOOD for your hair, but some people's hair can handle it anyway, and other people's hair really suffers for it. I take fairly hot showers at least in winter but I try to always finish with a lukewarm or cool rinse. I don't know that cool showers would make a difference because I've never really tried, but I'm quite happy with my hair overall. I find that what I use to wash my hair has a much bigger effect on it than the temp of the water I wash it in.

littlestarface
November 28th, 2010, 04:38 PM
It depends on the hair. Hot-hot water is never going to be GOOD for your hair, but some people's hair can handle it anyway, and other people's hair really suffers for it. I take fairly hot showers at least in winter but I try to always finish with a lukewarm or cool rinse. I don't know that cool showers would make a difference because I've never really tried, but I'm quite happy with my hair overall. I find that what I use to wash my hair has a much bigger effect on it than the temp of the water I wash it in.
Yea true plus I dont do anything to my hair no blow dry or flat iron anything to do with heat I dont brush either but my hair seems fine as is but im going to try that lukewarm water at the final rinse cause my bathroom is too cold to try and do a whole lukewarm shower thing.

Sometimes I do vinegar rinse does this close the cuticle like a cold rinse would or do I have to do with a cold rinse for it to be effective?

DreadfulWoman
November 28th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hello there. I don't have any great answers to your questions, but I thought I'd mention a thread I came across the other day, something like 'what won't you give up for your hair,' and it seemed that most people were answering with hot showers, so I believe you are in good company with this, although I have no idea how damaging it is.

I have a mercilessly cold bathroom as well, so I feel your pain. :bluesmile

littlestarface
November 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hello there. I don't have any great answers to your questions, but I thought I'd mention a thread I came across the other day, something like 'what won't you give up for your hair,' and it seemed that most people were answering with hot showers, so I believe you are in good company with this, although I have no idea how damaging it is.

I have a mercilessly cold bathroom as well, so I feel your pain. :bluesmile
lol yea I was reading that one too a few mins ago haha good thing im not the only one.

Lianna
November 28th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I never had any problem with "warm to a bit hot" settings. It's not hot HOT though.

littlestarface
November 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I never had any problem with "warm to a bit hot" settings. It's not hot HOT though.
Yea mine too its comfortable for my skin so I figure its ok for my hair too *shrug*

christine1989
November 28th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I don't think that hot water is bad just not as good as cold. Cold water closes the hair cuticle making it more shiney. Hot water dosen't damage like a blowdryer or flat iron would but it dosen't really benefit the hair like cold water does.

sserena
November 29th, 2010, 06:16 AM
At home I just wash my hair in a fairly hot shower, but at the salon, I always finish with an ice cold rinse. I find it leaves my hair shinier.

littlestarface
November 29th, 2010, 09:40 AM
At home I just wash my hair in a fairly hot shower, but at the salon, I always finish with an ice cold rinse. I find it leaves my hair shinier.
Your hairs doesnt feel rougher though after the cold rinse? Do you think a vinegar rinse do the same thing as a cold water rinse would?

Deborah
November 29th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I'm a hot shower person. I wash and rinse in water as hot as I can tolerate. I then finish with a cold water acidic rinse, which I don't wash out. Works great for me.

littlestarface
November 29th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I'm a hot shower person. I wash and rinse in water as hot as I can tolerate. I then finish with a cold water acidic rinse, which I don't wash out. Works great for me.
This is what ive been doing except I rinse the vinegar out. Is it better to leave it in though? I would be scared it might make the hair dry.

CaityBear
November 29th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I usually have mine on the touch of hot. Never hot enough to make my body pink, but fairly warm. And I haven't had a problem.

There's is no way I would EVER give up hot showers...or else I'd never shower in winter. Winters are pretty rough here and the hot shower is the only thing that will get me out of my clothes and into a shower...and a heater in the bathroom helps. :P

littlestarface
November 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM
LoL!

(need more words)

Octave
November 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't be able to live through the winter if it wasn't for hot showers.
What I tend to do when I was my hair is that when I'm pretty much finished showering and washing my hair I rinse the ends quickly with cold water. It's supposed to give it more shine and my hair is really soft after. Never really thought about that hot water could damage it, never seen any change when I washed it with colder water.

Deborah
November 29th, 2010, 10:51 AM
This is what ive been doing except I rinse the vinegar out. Is it better to leave it in though? I would be scared it might make the hair dry.

I have extremely hard water in my city, so I want the final rinse to be water that is altered by the addition of an acid. I used vinegar for years, and it works fine, but I like Citric Acid powder shaken into icy cold water better. It has no smell at all. The vinegar smell does not stay on my hair anyway, but I just like the Citric Acid better. Neither causes dryness for me at all.

littlestarface
December 1st, 2010, 10:26 AM
I did the cold water rinse after my warm/hot shower and surprising it did make my hair very shinier and felt very nice afterwards too. I wasnt brave enough to do my whole hair I just did the length, thank god for knee length hair or else I dont think I couldve done it. I also did a leave in treatment with my coconut oil my hair has never been so soft :cloud9:

Thank you all for your help!!

LotusFIre
December 1st, 2010, 10:30 AM
I keep my water lukewarm while I have it on my hair, but I crank up the heat while im shaving! I also rinse with cold for a few seconds, I am getting good results with this method.

littlestarface
December 1st, 2010, 10:31 AM
I keep my water lukewarm while I have it on my hair, but I crank up the heat while im shaving! I also rinse with cold for a few seconds, I am getting good results with this method.
Oh yea I have to have it hot when im shaving that way I dont get goosebumps and tear my legs up :lol:

thatjengirl1
December 1st, 2010, 11:01 AM
its not going to kill you or your hair, it's just not good to have an extreme temperature on anything.

heidihug
December 1st, 2010, 11:34 AM
I'm certainly not going to shower in boiling water. Personally, I think it's pish-posh that the temp of "hot" water that most people shower in is actually hot enough to cause more than the smallest modicum of damage.

Even if scientific proof were presented to me that the temperature of the hottest water I shower in causes great damage to my hair, I wouldn't stop bathing in it. I live in the northern US, where we tend to have months and months of winter. Ain't no way I'm standing in cold water and then stepping out into a 65 F bathroom. Brr. I'm cold enough all the time as it is!

madeline_
December 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
I like my showers piping hot and only started changing my habit a few months ago. Now I wear a shower cap the first few minutes and blast it really hot onto my face and chest, and when I start washing my hair I go cooler. Then when the conditioner is in my hair I avoid my head anyway, so I can return to hot. I do miss the feeling of hot water running over my bare scalp, but my hair is worth it.

littlestarface
December 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM
I'm certainly not going to shower in boiling water. Personally, I think it's pish-posh that the temp of "hot" water that most people shower in is actually hot enough to cause more than the smallest modicum of damage.

Even if scientific proof were presented to me that the temperature of the hottest water I shower in causes great damage to my hair, I wouldn't stop bathing in it. I live in the northern US, where we tend to have months and months of winter. Ain't no way I'm standing in cold water and then stepping out into a 65 F bathroom. Brr. I'm cold enough all the time as it is!
:laugh: best post :thumbsup: