PDA

View Full Version : Hair prefers it simple

hairobsessed1
November 28th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Ok so for the last week I have been mixing up my hair regime and It seems to really it.

Old regime wash three times a week, on two of the nights before a wash I would use castor oil on my roots and either coconut oil or shea butter on the rest of my hair- I would then wash my hair, and add a leave-in conditioner and some oils to my hair. I would also deep condition my hair once a week, this made my hair seem really thin but very manageable and looked very shiny and healthy.

This week I have washed every other day (shampoo and conditioner) Vo5 moisture soak elixir. Have not done any pre-wash treatments and added nothing to my hair straight after washing- did add some product once it was dry to tame it down as I did get a bit of frizz.

What I found: my hair was like the hair I remember having when I was younger- full of volume and body, it feels longer and looks better than ever:). I know that a lot of people feel that shampoos and conditioners appear to make your hair healthy but actually damage it (especially products like the ones I have used, they have sulphates in them) But my hair seems to react better to the simple stuff (just shampoo and conditioner) rather than if I try to do the right things- protein, moisture, oils, deep conditioning etc.:confused: I think I might try doing the old regime one week and the new one the week after.

Has anyone else found that their hair likes a simple regime?
Am I actually damaging my hair?
(I should also mention that I straighten my fringe, but that’s it- I let the rest of my hair dry naturally and I don’t style it.)

smileycat
November 28th, 2010, 06:47 AM
You know, I was thinking the other day that my hair was just plain more reliable with a conventional shampoo and conditioner routine. Yesterday I washed with shampoo and conditioner with sulfates, and my sweetie immediately offered up a hair compliment when he saw me. I did use a little coconut oil and shea butter on the ends mid-dry.

I actually think at times that my hair just does not like a routine!

DARKMARTIAN
November 28th, 2010, 06:58 AM
My hair has lived under a minimalist regime all its life. Its persistent sojourn to escape the follicle charged propaganda of many a weave wearer, hat smackers, and "professors" of cranial coverings and comb-overs everywhere.

hairobsessed1
November 28th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I guess it's just a case of my hair likes what it likes and that's it. I just hope that this will encourage people to just go back to basics to see what happens- in my case it was a nice surprise

jaine
November 28th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hmmm..."full of volume and body" is what I would get too with shampoo & conditioner with no products ...but in a bad way.

I tried it last week and my hair was so puffy and frizzy and HUGE...I mean it looked like I was hiding at least 4 cantaloupes in my hair. I don't like having huge hair although the look can be awesome on other people. I prefer some products and a routine that smooths it so I don't have to deal with my big hair. Even my avatar pic is *after* I have done something to tame the bulk...it's still big but at least it's not HUGE!

LaurelSpring
November 28th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Of course, when I joined LHC I tried everything. What I have found is that simple works best for me also. Too many treatments and oils just limped me out. I still have to find a balance between sls and no sls. I am still working on that one. I am basically happy with my routine now but it has taken me a couple of years to pin it down. I think that its all just part of the hair learning curve.

Igor
November 28th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I think a simple routine is good. Hair isn’t really that complicated… It just wants to be cleaned on occasion, be kept from drying out and be protected from wear and tear :shrug:
I think it’s a great thing you wrote this down because if one day you find yourself with hair acting up, you can always look back and find your notes that this worked for you :thumbsup:

ericthegreat
November 28th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Ok so for the last week I have been mixing up my hair regime and It seems to really it.

Old regime wash three times a week, on two of the nights before a wash I would use castor oil on my roots and either coconut oil or shea butter on the rest of my hair- I would then wash my hair, and add a leave-in conditioner and some oils to my hair. I would also deep condition my hair once a week, this made my hair seem really thin but very manageable and looked very shiny and healthy.

This week I have washed every other day (shampoo and conditioner) Vo5 moisture soak elixir. Have not done any pre-wash treatments and added nothing to my hair straight after washing- did add some product once it was dry to tame it down as I did get a bit of frizz.

What I found: my hair was like the hair I remember having when I was younger- full of volume and body, it feels longer and looks better than ever:). I know that a lot of people feel that shampoos and conditioners appear to make your hair healthy but actually damage it (especially products like the ones I have used, they have sulphates in them) But my hair seems to react better to the simple stuff (just shampoo and conditioner) rather than if I try to do the right things- protein, moisture, oils, deep conditioning etc.:confused: I think I might try doing the old regime one week and the new one the week after.

Has anyone else found that their hair likes a simple regime?
Am I actually damaging my hair?
(I should also mention that I straighten my fringe, but that’s it- I let the rest of my hair dry naturally and I don’t style it.)

Your hair likes what your hair likes. If a simple, no fuss routine works for you then by all means stick by it. :)

Everyone's hair is different. For some people its WO. For me and people like me its CO. For others, their hair really needs regular shampoo so its CWC or WC. Some people need oils, some do not at all. Again, its all about finding out what works best for you.