PDA

View Full Version : stop this shedding

gotzbrainz
November 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
How can I help my hair to stop shedding so much, all the sudden Im having a major major shed, over the 100 hair a day norm, its starting to scare me because it doesnt seem to let up. Anyone have advice?

Capybara
November 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
My advice would be to not panic :) It sounds like the shedding started recently, and it may be perfectly normal. I've heard of people going through cycles, where their hair will shed tremendously for a period every 4-7 years, but shed 'normally' in between this time. Many people - myself included - also have seasonal sheds. I shed much more in the fall/winter than in the summer/spring. No idea why, but it happens :shrug:

If the shedding persists, I would suggest consulting a physician, perhaps a dermatologist. Good luck! :flower:

Bast
November 27th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Other things can cause extra shedding, in addition to normal shed cycles. I was sick (really sick, fever and debating going to the ER sans insurance sick because I was working on getting extremely dehydrated sick) the other weekend and went through a MASSIVE shed. Stress can cause shedding, as well as poor nutrition, medications, the weather, when the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars...

Best bet would be to take a deep breath (or several), and try to relax. Take a nice hot shower (or even better, a bubble bath), listen to some relaxing music, have some tea or hot chocolate, and watch your favorite movie. Get a massage. And, like has been said, if this keeps on going for a while, then see your doctor and/or a dermatologist.

tinywife
November 27th, 2010, 11:25 PM
You poor thing! I've had this problem, so I'll try to help:

- First, are you taking any new medication? Many meds have a side effect of hair loss. Even if it's not listed as a side effect, ask your doctor if he can switch your medications.
- Have you recently (0-6 months ago) been through an emotionally or even physically stressful event, like wedding planning or childbirth or surgery? Hair tends to freeze its growth during these times and then fall out a few months later. If this is the case, it will all grow right back.
- Are you losing a significant amount of weight? This is another stress on your body which may make it respond by shedding hair. If you're happy with your weight loss, try to gain back just 1-5 lbs, so your body knows it can come out of starvation mode. This will also boost your metabolism back up to pre-diet levels.
- Have yourself tested for hypothyroidism. It's very, very common in women. Other symptoms of this: low basal body temperatures, fatigue, unexplained weight gain, cold extremities.
- I give this advice to everyone: Take vitamins!! Prenatal vitamins (even though I'm not pregnant) stopped my hair loss, made it grow back, and even made it grow faster. Flaxseed oil and biotin are some other classics, but I can't yet vouch for them myself.
- Many people swear by exercise. Apparently it helps the blood flow to the head.
- I've heard that a scalp massage can encourage hair growth - or loss. Because of the mixed results, I've never tried it myself.

I hope this helps!! Know that your LHC friends will support you throughout your journey back to healthy hair.