PDA

View Full Version : How often do you trim?

Rafaelle
November 27th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Or maybe you don't trim at all?

I trim maybe twice a year now, if not, I can just forget about growing my hair long. Ever since I was little it seems my hair's natural rythm is growing about 8-9 cm a year-in other words slower than the average...

liagibba
November 27th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Before joining LHC, I trimmed every 4-6 mos. My last cut was in April when I had about an inch taken off. I don't heat style any more and have started using oils on a daily basis, so my hair is in MUCH better shape. I'm not planning on getting another trim (probably about 1/2 inch) until I reach waist length, which should be around October 2011.

AnnaJamila
November 27th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I trim three times a year on the full moon! (Folklore says that trimming on the full moon makes it grow faster! ;) ) Though I'm thinking of just trimming when the ends start getting shabby. Guess it depends on how much I shed/grow!

bluesnowflake
November 27th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I trim about twice a year or the longest I can go without and get away with it. Unfortunately, my ends fuzz and grow unevenly, so I can't do the no-trims thing. My hair grows faster than normal ( about 8 inches a year) so it isn't that big a deal.

ImperfectBrat
November 27th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Twice a year, on July 4th and on Groundhog day. Each time I take into account what my hair looks like and decide how much gets cut.

chelles2kids
November 27th, 2010, 04:52 PM
About three to four times a year...but this year I plan on trying really hard to only trim once or twice...trying to get to tailbone as quickly as possible. :p

(A normal trim for me is usually less than .5 inch.)

enfys
November 27th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I've set up a scedule of trimming half an inch every four months; it was the best balance I could find between getting shot of layering and still gaining enough length to get to my next goal of fingertip by the time I finish uni.

I've gone a long time before now, months and months, but I need to really look at my hemline.

spidermom
November 27th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I used to get it trimmed as often as every 6-8 weeks, but my stylist was really good at not trimming off too much, so I still gained length on that schedule. I also used to be on an every 3-month schedule. The last time I trimmed was January, and I have no plan to trim anytime soon. My ends are in pretty good shape, so I don't see the need.

pepperminttea
November 27th, 2010, 04:58 PM
About every 9-12 months, normally a 1-2" trim. I do S&D regularly to keep split ends at bay. :)

Angeletti
November 27th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I haven't trimmed in years because I'm trying to get to goal as fast as I can, but now that I'm almost there I plan on trimming every month or at least every other month so I can slowly get my ends nice and thick and get rid of the old layers.

Capybara
November 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I trim whenever I need it. Usually, it's around every 6 months or so, and the amount of hair trimmed depends on how much I think needs to be trimmed.

fairystar32
November 27th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I used to trim every 6-8 weeks and my hair never grew any longer than it already was.
I switched to a stylist who only trims what I want of the length and understands its what I want and not what she thinks it should be like and doesnt hack in layers i didnt ask for!!!
I now have it trimmed every 3-5 months and my hair is growing.

LocustSpawning
November 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I plan on trimming when I reach closer to my goal. I like fairytale ends, but I think now I'd prefer to have a thick U shaped hemline when it gets to waist, and I'll maintain that thickness from then on. Right now I'm just S&Ding though.

embee
November 27th, 2010, 09:32 PM
My last trim was summer 2005, right before joining LHC. Have no plans to trim in the near future, except for S&D. ;)

noelgirl
November 27th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I'm at my goal, so every couple of months to maintain.

Loreley
November 28th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I trim 0.5" (sometimes a bit more) every month. I want to thicken up my hemline. It's not too bad, but I still need to trim 2-3" to get the thickness I want. When that's done, I'm planning to trim once in every 2 months.

Cirafly24
November 28th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I trim about 1/2" 2 or 3 times a year. When I reach my goal of 42", I will trim every month to maintain there until I have 100% virgin hair with a decent hemline. After that I may trim less frequently and see if I want to grow longer.

hairobsessed1
November 28th, 2010, 04:46 AM
about every 5 or 6 months and I usually loose about an inch, But I have a big trim every two years (to get some of the damage that travelled up) -last time i got about 3.5 cms off.

Anatheme
November 28th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Aside from S&D I haven't trimmed in about a year and a half, but I've decided that in the new year (when I should have reached tailbone length which I wish to maintain for a year or two to grow out layers and damage) that I will start trimming 0.5" per month.

Chrissy
November 28th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I wanted to wait till I reached my goal of waist. However I really wish I could trim just a smidge now. I just don't have anyone to do it. I don't trust salons and right now I can't afford our local long hair salon.

FrannyG
November 28th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I trim 1/2 inch off of my every 3 months. With this trim schedule, my hair still grows quite a bit in a year, but I can keep my ends nice and even. With my hair being so straight, it shows every variation of each hair's length and if I go much longer than 3 months, the hemline starts to look straggly.

My ends are fairly thin at the moment as well, due to damage that I incurred two years ago, so I am gradually getting rid of that damage too. (I still have about 4 inches of damage left)

Even when my hair was healthy, I found that my ends looked thicker with a regular trim schedule. The way I see it, it's not a race to reach my goal; I want to reach my goal with a hemline that I feel happy with.

I trim my hair myself so that I know exactly how much I'm trimming off. I find that often other people (including hairstylists) don't realize how little 1/2 of an inch is.

Feng-Shui
November 28th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I does trim every 6 months.

If I reached my goal knee long become I each 3 months trims maintenance knee long.

I hopes in this way can I strengthens my ends.:)

CastaDiva
November 28th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Before I discovered TLHC in February I rarely cut my hair, maybe once every two-three years. I have some damage to grow out, so now I trim my hair myself about 1/2" every two-three months:)

MinderMutsig
November 28th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Every three months 0.5 - 1 cm depending on how much my hair needs it and how much it has grown. I also S&D constantly so usually I don't need to get a lot cut.

I prefer quality over quantity so I do want to grow my hair long but I want it to look god while I'm doing it too. I understand if people choose to go for goal length first but I want to be able to have my hair down without feeling selfconcious about it.

Yozhik
November 28th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I haven't trimmed for about a year and 2 months (a little bit after joining here), and I don't plan on trimming until either my ends begin to look very thin or until I hit waist. :)

Then I'll try out Feye's self-trim method.

LittleOak
November 28th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Recently I have been trying really hard not to trim any more than I need to. Despite this I seem to find that the urge to trim arises every two months or so! I think this is because I would like my ends to be a lot thicker than they currently are and also because I really like the smooth feel you get right through to the ends after a trim. I only ever trim off a tiny amount though, probably about a quarter to half a centimetre or on average every two months. I have found that my growth rate is still enough for me to be happy with my progress :)

DARKMARTIAN
November 28th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I see leap years more than I see scissors......:o

man I need a trim........:(

freckles
November 28th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I trim sporadically! For two plus years before joining, I didn't trim at all. In my first year at LHC, I trimmed a little (twice I think). In the last four months, I've trimmed twice again (or three times? I can't remember). Next year, I might trim often, I might trim rarely, or I might not trim at all ... I haven't decided yet! :)

david
November 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I usually trim twice a year, usually sometime around May then again in December. I still debating if I should trim before christmas this year because the last trim I got the hairdresser decided at the end of the trim that she was going to "take out some of the bluntness" and cut into the ends leaving me with a sort of V shape instead of the blunt cut i wanted. So Im still deciding if I should get it trimmed to more of a blunt hemline now of wait until some of the layers grow out more.

ravenreed
November 28th, 2010, 11:06 AM
As soon as my layers start looking ratty I do a small trim. It works out to be every 6-12 weeks, depending on how fast my hair is growing at the time.

chopandchange
November 28th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Whenever it needs it.

growing2shine
November 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I trim at least 1 cm every six months.

First of all I have a lot of damage so I have to trim, and secondly my hair grows quite uneven. Right now my hair is about 2 cm longer in the left side (I am going to trim a few centimeters in january to thicken and even up my hemline). And I also to S&D. :D