PDA

View Full Version : A Friendly Reminder

halo_tightens
November 27th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I just wanted to remind anyone anyone who may have forgotten-- check your vacuum's beater bar! Long hair can wind around the bar and become entangled, eventually impeding its motion and burning out the vacuum's motor.

I just did mine, and I ended up with a very large handful of hair. It took me quite a while to get all of it out, using my hands and a razor blade. I've already burned up one vacuum on my hair-growing journey, purely through my own carelessness, and I didn't want anyone to suddenly find themself without a vacuum in the holiday season.

I know that most longhairs are well aware of this fact and check their vacuums regularly. I also know, however, that it can be easy to forget! This is just my little Public Service Announcement for the day. :)

embee
November 27th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Yes, very timely. Tinsel from the Christmas tree comes to mind, in addition to hair!

Glad you caught it this time and didn't fry another cleaner. I killed one some years back, it really freaked me.

Aer
November 27th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Thank you for reminding us,, seriously. I was just about to try out this new super powered-super-suction shop vac, and I did not think to pull my hair back yet.

AnnaJamila
November 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Ugh, I think I just did that to my vacuum. Not cool.

restourceful
November 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM
DH does this every couple of weeks for me. He said he has noticed it doesn't get nearly so hairy since I've been wearing my hair up most of the time.

Jessikinz
November 27th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Oh I never thought about checking that....haha thanks for the reminder. I think that's whats wrong with my vacuum, and it has never crossed my mind. Geez I feel silly.

remidosi
November 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the reminder! That's one of those little things that's just sooo easy to forget!

This might sound really strange, but I actually brush my area rug before I vacuum it. Some vigorous strokes with an old dog brush take out most of the hair (both human and feline) before the vacuum even comes out. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the vacuum, and loosens up some of the deeper dirt. I'm sure I look silly, but I don't care! :P

Angeletti
November 27th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I ditched my main vacuum and got a hand held one with no beater bar for this reason, although 9 out of my 11 cats are long haired persians so they were mostly at fault!

Cloverleaf
November 27th, 2010, 04:38 PM
That's a coincidence - I just did this before I sat down at the computer this evening! I de-hair the vacuum before I put it away anymore - ready for the next time!

enfys
November 27th, 2010, 05:56 PM
What's a "beater bar"? I'm wondering if my hoover has one...

*Googles*

Henry doesn't have one. Disaster averted!

Since these are apparently British made, I wonder if any other countries have these? Best hoovers ever; look at his face!

http://www.henryvacs.co.uk/

spidermom
November 27th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Funny - I did that just this morning before I got online. I also changed the filters and OMG! The dirt bin was full-full-full, beyond full. I don't think one single additional mote of dust could have fit in there.

Delila
November 27th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I use a large seam ripper to cut the strands, it makes the work a lot easier.

As others have said, though, sweeping the area first really does make a big difference. The broom gets up a lot of hair.

luxepiggy
November 27th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I use a large seam ripper to cut the strands, it makes the work a lot easier.

As others have said, though, sweeping the area first really does make a big difference. The broom gets up a lot of hair.

I use a seam ripper also! And if you get a Dyson, the entire brushbar actually slides out and detaches completely from the machine, which facilitates easy removal over a garbage can or something (^(oo)^)

GRU
November 27th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I use a seam ripper also! And if you get a Dyson, the entire brushbar actually slides out and detaches completely from the machine, which facilitates easy removal over a garbage can or something (^(oo)^)

Great, I've been telling myself that I don't need to spend big bucks on a Dyson b/c my Wind Tunnel still works fine... and Oinkers goes and gives me a perfectly plausible reason to *need* to buy a Dyson! :rolleyes:

halo tightens, thanks for the Public Service Announcement. I think it's been a while since either of our vac have been checked (now that DS does the floors, I forget to check the machines!).

anthonyswife
November 27th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I've actually killed two vacuums...they were both very, very old which I don't think helped the situation. Thanks for the reminder! I just got a new one and I want it to last longer than my previous ones lol.

tinti
November 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Really! Another thing I didn't know :D Thanks a lot!

Sunsailing
November 27th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I don't do it as often as I should.

We purchased the BEST upright vacuum cleaner a little over a year ago from a sweeper store. Everything about it is designed well and it is German engineered. We purchase a Miele upright (model: "Calypso"). It does cost more, but the ergonomics alone make it worth while (ie: swivel neck).

The best feature regarding hair....the motor will shut itself down if anything stops the brush (socks, hair, etc.). This feature makes it almost impossible to burn out the motor.

We looked at all of the Dysons. There just is no comparison.

I can't recommend this vacuum enough!

Dragon
November 27th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the reminder.

Chrissy
November 28th, 2010, 05:32 AM

I have a Dyson and I had no idea the beater bar came out. Is it hard to pull out and then figure out how to put in back on? I always clean my beater bar and get lots of hair. I do the pulling it off though. I have a seam ripper and have thought of using that too.

Carolyn
November 28th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I hardly ever vacuum.

smileycat
November 28th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I hardly ever vacuum.

Me, too! :D

I only have carpet in one room in my home (attic), and I go low tech and just sweep everything else most of the time.

Ravenwaves 88
November 28th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Our vacuum gets a pre inspection and "trim" everytime we go to use it. It's amazing how much gets wrapped up in there :)

jojo
November 28th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I have just this minute de-haired my vac! hate doing it but it has to be done!!

Newniepg
November 28th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Thank you! I really need defluff my dyson, I noticed yesterday that it wasn't picking up as well as it should have been. I couldn't bring myself to turn it upside down and look though. I suspect I am in denial.

Chrissy
November 29th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Thank you! I really need defluff my dyson, I noticed yesterday that it wasn't picking up as well as it should have been. I couldn't bring myself to turn it upside down and look though. I suspect I am in denial.

HA HA!!! Do it before it commits suicide!:D