PDA

View Full Version : How have boar bristle brushes helped your hair?

Pandora.
November 27th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hey :)
I've just bought my first BBB, and I'm just wondering: what do they do that's so good, how have they helped your hair and how long did it take you to notice a difference in your hair after using the BBB?

I've noticed one of my friends has been using a BBB recently, and her hair just seems to keep getting softer and softer and thicker and thicker quite a lot (well, compared to what it used to be a few months back) - and she's CONSTANTLY dying her hair. Hmmmmm.

AnnaJamila
November 27th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I don't exactly know what it is that it does but it DEFINATELY helps with shine and texture.

Aer
November 27th, 2010, 12:53 PM
It seems to have helped my scalp and dander. I use it mostly between washes, to spread the natural oils.

Nessie_
November 27th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I use a boar bristle brush often and I've noticed that it makes my hair softer and shinier. However, I have really thick hair and the BBB doesn't really do a good job getting all the knots out of my hair, just because it's so thick.

ravenreed
November 27th, 2010, 01:26 PM
The only thing mine is successful for is removing dry shampoos.

MAO
November 27th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Mine has been good for stretching my washes out. My scalp is pretty dry and flaky, so its helpful for removing flakies and spreading what meager bit of oil my scalp produces. And the volume! Volume like you wouldn't believe!

pepperminttea
November 27th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I use mine for smoothing my hair into updos. It leaves the hairs against the scalp sleek, rather than combs which leave 'brushstrokes'.

Capybara
November 27th, 2010, 02:12 PM
My BBB is great for distributing oils evenly throughout my hair :) In my experience, it's best for my hair to have different tools (a wide toother shower comb and afro pic for detangling, and the BBB for smoothing/distributing oils) for different jobs, rather than relying just on one tool. Your hair may be different though :)

Madora
November 27th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I've been using 100% pure boar bristle brushes since I was 15 and my hair was thick and long.

I learned about the BBB from an article by George Michael (in a magazine) and used it according to his advice.

I brushed 100 strokes per day (bending at the waist and brushing from nape to the ends - little by little - until all my hair was thoroughly brushed.

You can see the results in my album.

A boar bristle brush needn't be expensive either. My current brush was less than $12.00 at Walgreen's and I've had it 6 years.

It's HOW you use the brush that determines how your hair responds to it.

Dreamkitty
November 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I have not used a boar bristle brush yet but I have 50% natural bristle and 50% ceramic bristle brush at my home right now, haven't opened the package.

I want to return it though because I decided I want 100% since everyone is saying that pure bristle is better. The Boots shop I go to has a variety or bristles.

I am so damn tempted to open the package though:(, being an impatient person. But I know if I open it & use , thats it. I can't ever make a decision.

cherokeesaint
January 11th, 2011, 08:17 PM
The 100% boar bristle is suppose to be better to distribute your scalp's natural oil evenly from roots to tips where as the other brushes just help to detangle hair....from my usage...I also do as Madora does except I don't think I do it 100 times a day. It leaves my hair soft and more volume.

jojo
January 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
All a BBB does for my hair is make it frizz! but its good at smoothing my hair when its in a bun

MandaMom2Three
January 11th, 2011, 09:09 PM
BBBs do NOTHING good for my hair :(. They just turn it into a staticy mess! I've tried several times and no go, my hair looks AWFUL when I use it. I have quite thin hair too but it still didn't do more than graze the very outer layer and didn't seem to distribute oil at ALL. I'm glad they work for so many others but I'll stick to my wood bristle brush from the Body Shop thanks :D