PDA

View Full Version : French Vs. Dutch Braids.

DuckyDot
November 27th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I know that I can do 2 braids in my hair right now. One on either side to make plaited pigtails. But I'm not sure whether they are French or Dutch Braids? I'm thinking Dutch since they lie 'on-top' of my hair whereas French usually lie 'in' the hair? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Capybara
November 27th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Those sound like Dutch braids to me :)

Valdeon
November 27th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Dutch for sure

DuckyDot
November 27th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Cool! Now I need to learn French Braids!

Thanks All :)

danacc
November 27th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Congratulations on your Dutch braids!

FrannyG
November 27th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Yes, it sounds as though you've got the Dutch braid down pat. With the Dutch braid, you cross every middle strand over the other strands. To make a French braid, you cross every middle strand under the other strands. It takes some getting used to, when you're used to one method, but you'll get it in no time. :blossom:

Angeletti
November 27th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Hmm, I usually cross my strands under each other when doing a Dutch braid. I always found that the dutch braid was easier when first learning how to do them, and it seems to hold better for me than a french braid, so it's the only braid I tend to use.

CaityBear
November 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I always do Dutch just because when I first learned to French braid (learned on my own head) and I did maybe one or two French braids then started doing Dutch (without realizing it) because my fingers just worked better doing Dutch than French. lol

Thinthondiel
November 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Hmm, I usually cross my strands under each other when doing a Dutch braid.

Yeah, you cross the side strands under the middle strand, but you can also think of it as crossing the middle strand over the side strands. In any case, it's the opposite with a French braid (i.e. you cross the side strands over the middle strand/the middle strand under the side strands).

DuckyDot
November 27th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all the responses people! :)

Lianna
November 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I wish I could do dutch braids, I'm not that skilled. Like others said it sounds dutch. I have a pic on my album of little french pigtails. :D Hair this short I can only do a very messy french braid, if only one. I'm still practicing dutch but it's very much harder for me. :(

Pierre
November 27th, 2010, 06:22 PM
My preferred braid is Dutch, and I do one on each side too, but once I did a Belgian braid. I haven't braided in a while because my left arm doesn't reach far enough to the right side.

Capybara
November 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM
My preferred braid is Dutch, and I do one on each side too, but once I did a Belgian braid. I haven't braided in a while because my left arm doesn't reach far enough to the right side.

What is a Belgian braid? :)

nytquill
November 27th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I always think of French braiding (or English braiding) as "bringing the outside strands to the middle" and Dutch braiding as "bringing the middle strand to the outside". It's the same thing as all the others have been saying, just described differently - but if I DON'T think of it that way everything goes haywire. My brain just can't make it work otherwise! :lol:

enfys
November 27th, 2010, 06:59 PM
What is a Belgian braid? :)

When you switch mid-way from one to the other. It's a play on the location of Belgium ;)

Capybara
November 27th, 2010, 07:28 PM
When you switch mid-way from one to the other. It's a play on the location of Belgium ;)
That makes sense! Thank you :)