PDA

View Full Version : Dry shampoo questions

sparkle'n'bling
November 27th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I have a few questions on dry shampoo - both powder and spray.
How do they each work?
How does your hair feel after using?
Are they damaging at all?
Thanks in advance.

HoneyJubilee
November 27th, 2010, 03:14 AM
The powder is supposed to absorb the oil from your roots and then you brush the powder out. I think the sprays are also powders mixed with something to make them sprayable.

I use a homemade dry shampoo (I think the recipe came from LHC but I don't have the link right now), and it's just corn starch and orris root powder with a few drops of essential oils. I rub a small amount on my roots/scalp, let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then brush it out. It absorbs oil really well, but my roots look kind of dull for a day or two afterward...maybe I'm just not brushing enough though.

KittyLost
November 27th, 2010, 03:24 AM
I use lee stratford dry shampoo spray as it was part of a set given to me.

I spray it on my fringe and then rub my hair with my fingers to make the white spray disappear. It smells nice. My hair feels light afterwards and soft.

luxepiggy
November 27th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I like the Rene Furterer Naturia Dry Shampoo - I posted about it in the reviews section:

http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/607/cat/2

Kamama
November 29th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I use Batiste Original dry shampoo from Sally's. It is the only dry shampoo I have tried, but I love it. I have been stretching washes to every other day for several months. Although I would try to not handle my hair much at the end of the first day, any handling seemed to encourage greasy roots with my fine hair. I decided to try the dry shampoo and wished I had long before. Stretching washes has helped my scalp so much! I used to shampoo daily and always had an itchy scalp. Since stretching washes, my scalp does not itch at all. I love it!:)

The directions say to shake well, spray and massage it in, let it sit and then brush out with a natural bristle brush. I really look and feel clean on the second day. There is a light powdery smell, that is pleasant. I wish I had had this in high school when my scalp started producing more oil, but my hair became drier! I have been a daily shampooer since then!:(

I have been shampooing every other day. Yesterday, we were driving home from my mother's and I wanted to shampoo when I got home and set my hair. I did not want to wash in the morning and the evening, so I used it a second day (3rd since washing) in a row. It worked fine. It looked as good as the day before. However, the powdery scent seemed much stronger. It did not bother me traveling home with my husband, but I wonder if it would have if I had been at work?:confused:

sparkle'n'bling
November 29th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks everyone. Do these sprays/powders show up in dark hair? - my hair is dark brown. I've read the cocoa as dry shampoo thread, but am reluctant to try it because I am allergic to chocolate.