PDA

View Full Version : drugstore vs salon products

mdrew
November 26th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Buying hair products in a salon vs. drugstore?

I see Pureology hair products sold in salons and also sold in shoppers drug mart. My stylist told me that the product sold in shoppers drug mart is of lesser quality than the product sold in salons. Is this true?

Thank you

ktani
November 26th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Buying hair products in a salon vs. drugstore?

I see Pureology hair products sold in salons and also sold in shoppers drug mart. My stylist told me that the product sold in shoppers drug mart is of lesser quality than the product sold in salons. Is this true?

Thank you

Not necessarily. Sometimes what is on the drugstore shelves is the same. L'Oreal makes drugstore versions of their salon lines. The bottom line is whether a product works for you or not.

I have seen Redken products on drugstore shelves. They are not "supposed" to be there but they are there. They are not knockoffs either.

luxepiggy
November 26th, 2010, 06:55 PM
It depends. If it's the same bottle and exactly the same name, then it's the same stuff.

However, sometimes the "salon" or "professional" version is different from the mass-market version. For example, Fekkai has cheaper versions of his classic lines for sale at places like Target, but the higher-end department stores like Neiman Marcus and the salons get the upgraded version. The names can be quite close: "Brilliant Glossing" vs. "Glossing" or "Full Blown Volume" vs. "Full Volume," etc. The bottles are also slightly different - a differently shaped cap, a lighter colour, etc.