PDA

View Full Version : Increasing washing

Blueneko
June 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Has anyone found that more frequent washes were better than less?

I am having epic shedding. More than before I was "good" to my hair. It really began with shampoo bars, so I have stopped those for a spell. Other than that, I am totally stressed. :)

I tend to get a decent amount of scalp build up, so I am wondering if that could be the real culprit.

Probably the shampoo bars and stress, however.

Breaks my heart to use my Squeaky Green as a body bar. But it smells so good where ever I put it.

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
If you are under stress that is probably the whole problem. If there a way you could get counseling or something else to help relieve it a bit? Also watch your diet and make sure you are getting all your vitamins. One thing is that it may just be a time of more shedding for you. I have that at least a couple of times a year for anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks and then I usually get a spurt of growth. Could that be it?

My thinking is, washing has nothing to do with it. Once the follicle decides to let go there is not much you can do to "hold" it in there. I think mostly you have to start from the inside out such as getting a physical if it is too bad. Remember too that average shedding is 100 hairs a day and that is quite a bit. It also looks like more the longer it gets or the less frequent you detangle or wash.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
I was determined to become a once per week washer, but my hair got downright nasty. Then it seemed to take 2-3 washings before it looked/felt totally clean again. Much better I stick with every 3-4 days, even more often if I do something that gets me sweaty/dirty.

Blueneko
June 2nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
The stress is work related, thus counseling might just be a vent session about things a therapist will not understand. But it is worth a shot, surely. I need to up my vitamins!

I wash about twice a week. I guess I might be shedding normal amounts, but now that my hair is longer, it looks so intimidating.

sapphire-o
June 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
I went from washing every 4 days to every 3 days. My hair is fine either way but my scalp is so much happier. Not sure about the shedding. I always shed more when the weather get warmer. Maybe yours is seasonal as well?

Isilme
June 2nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
I'm with you, I shed more when my hair is oily than clean! Stress or no stress. 3-4 days is perfect, more isn't very good but it still happens quite often since I'm lazy;)

Kirin
June 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Keep in mind, the less frequently you wash it, the less mechanical handling it is recieving. This is normal handling for washing, that would shed out a few hairs a day that are ready to go....... washing / handling less means when you go to handle it, all that "saved up shed" is just ripe to come out.

You are probably shedding more at a "time" than more on the whole.

If you are shedding a lot every day though, I'm going through the same thing, and I found returning to a once a day wash routine with no conditioner slowed down my shed incredibly. Why? I really have zero idea.

n3m3sis42
June 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
I was determined to become a once per week washer, but my hair got downright nasty. Then it seemed to take 2-3 washings before it looked/felt totally clean again. Much better I stick with every 3-4 days, even more often if I do something that gets me sweaty/dirty.

The same thing happened to me. Well, actually, in the winter, it was more or less okay if I washed once a week. It didn't look too great the last day or two before I washed, but I wore it up and it probably wasn't noticeable.

Then it started getting warm outside. Oh, and I live in Georgia, so it was also humid and sticky and just generally unpleasant. My hair seemed to be greasy ALL THE TIME.

I broke down and started washing it every 3-4 days instead, and I haven't regretted it at all. :D

n3m3sis42
June 2nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
The stress is work related, thus counseling might just be a vent session about things a therapist will not understand. But it is worth a shot, surely. I need to up my vitamins!

The great thing about counseling (assuming you get a good therapist) is that even if the therapist doesn't understand the specifics of the situation that's stressing you out, he or she should be able to help you figure out better mechanisms for coping with the stress. So while the therapist may not understand situation X that happens at work and all it entails, he or she should be able to understand the reactions that situation X triggers.

Sorry for the hijack, I know your post wasn't really intended to be about therapy. :D

Paniscus
June 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
This is why I think LHC is psychic :ponder: Everytime I think of some issue or situation, I log onto LHC and there is a thread about my issue or situation! Amazing!

On topic: I have been trying to do more WO washings and skipping them all together as well and have noticed more shed. I do think the less we wash our hair and don't manipulate it, then you have the buildup. The deal is, I HATE to see that much hair go in the trash/drain. Makes me feel like I'm going bald :( Just two days ago, I thought about going back to washing every day and maybe even using some shampoo. Mainly just to see if I can (psychologically) get back to a *normal* shed. We'll see. I'm hoping it's just built up shed hairs. . .

I've been at LHC for over a year, and I really don't have my routine down yet. :shrug:

Finicky hair.:knuckle:

nomadhome
June 2nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
The longer I go without washing the more I seem to shed because the hairs have sort of built up. I am generally an every other day shampooer, otherwise my scalp gets super greasy and itchy and yuck.

tiny_teesha
June 2nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I used to want to stretch washings, but if i do my hair falls out when greasy. So i have decided to wash when i need it which is usually by day 3 or 4 depending on how much oil i produce and combing etc.
If your hair gets really long- like i am going to try one day- just make a bun when you would put your bung and wash the scalp and have the water run down your neck so your length doesn't get wet or anything. :) I might try that one day soon because my hair has reached a decent length to try that out.

Cantabile
June 2nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
When it comes to using shampoo bars, I've noticed that it takes a certain period of adjustment where you may end up shedding more than usual. Once that's over, shedding usually decreases. It may be that that particular shampoo bar didn't agree with you, or maybe just the more "mechanical" nature of shampoo bars, what with all the rubbing, caused you to shed more than usual.

paper
June 3rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
Glad to see others have this problem too. I tryed CO for about a week, then the next 2 times I shampooed, I lost a lot of hair. So, now I'm back shampooing every 3 days. The shedding stopped.

Buddaphlyy
June 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
My hair and scalp are in much better condition since I started washing every 2-3 days. It's more defined, less itchy, and a whole lot smoother and frizz free.

MakeItADouble
June 3rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
I've found it's better for my hair to get washed every other day. Any longer and it seems to do more harm than good for me (ie, too greasy, flaking, itchy scalp). Some days I even need to wash 2-3 days in a row just from getting too sweaty/dirty.

Blueneko
June 3rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the responses.

I think many valid points were brought up, particularly the part about a big one-time shed when I wash (that is perceived as a lot when it is days of collecting) and therapy being good even if the details are lost on the therapist. :)

I might go from 4-5 days to 3-4 or even 2-3 to see if the shedding, itching and greasies die down. Thanks, everyone!