PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping on your hair?

lovinmylife
November 26th, 2010, 06:20 PM
So is it better to sleep on your hair? Or put it up? Once again (suprise suprise) the internet has varying answers. lol.
So I figured I would ask the pros :)

I currently have egyptian cotton sheets, and sleep with my hair in a goody no metal type elastic. Its loose in the tie, and sometimes comes out at night. Should I be leaving it down? When I leave it down.. it.. may.. or may not.. look like I stuck my finger in a light socket when I wake up... :D haha.

So what do you do?

Roseate
November 26th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I wear a sleep cap (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Satin-Sleep-Cap/SBS-480775,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair15-08-1), and I love it. Keeps my hair out of the way, no tangles, no frizz in the morning. Easily one of the best tips I've gotten from LHC.

luxepiggy
November 26th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I sleep with my hair loose, but I believe most LHCers do some kind of protective style at night. The other option is a satin pillowcase or a sleep cap.

Olyve
November 26th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I have always slept with my hair up. It does not tangle this way and makes for easier brushing and less tugging/pulling when I do go to brush it. Plus that awesome light socket effect doesn't happen. :p

As my hair has got longer I have started to braid it and sleep with a braid for the same reasons.

Vermelha
November 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I put my hair up if it's curly, or wrap it if it's straightened. A lot of the time, it stays in rollers.

Cowgirl16
November 26th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I braid my hair and sleep with it behind me or over my pillow.

Alix
November 26th, 2010, 07:02 PM
My hair barely stays in it's style during the day, much less when I'm sleeping. So I just leave it loose. Or occasionally if I'm feeling ambitious, two french braids. But I'm not prone to tangles so I've never had any issues.

christine1989
November 26th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I think hair up is the perferred method here but I like a satin sleep cap since it keeps my hair 100% out of the way all night and reduces damage. If you like to keep your hair loose though I would reccomend a satin pillow case since it reduces friction between your hair and the fabric.

Synthemesc
November 26th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Usually french braid mine nowadays. Keeps the pesky layers in and chills me out before bed.

nytquill
November 26th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I sleep with my hair loose but I position it so it's "streaming" out away from my head rather than trapped under my head/body. It's so ingrained to do this I will actually come half awake in the night to move my hair out from under me :lol:

Although I don't braid my hair to sleep, sometimes if I'm already wearing a braid I'll just take the elastic out and wait for the braid to undo itself rather than finger-combing it out like I normally do. Most nights when I do this, most of the braid is still intact when I wake up the next day.

Lianna
November 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I have a silk bonnet, but sometimes it sleeps loose.

Hana212
November 26th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I vary but it all depends on how I want my hair to look the next day.. if I want waves, I sleep with a french braid/dutch braid or two rope braids...
If I want it straight and I have washed it that day, I will go to sleep with it out.. if I want curls.. its either pin curls, paper curls or sponge rollers that will be in my hair...
DBF is constantly amazed at my pre-sleep routine :D

Madora
November 26th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I braid mine - loosely. I like the air to get to my scalp during the night..and for the follicles to relax (if my hair has been up during the day, which it usually is).

Juneii
November 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I toss and turn too often in the night so I put my hair up in a bun at the top of my head. works wonderfully :)

littlestarface
November 26th, 2010, 08:21 PM
If I had just washed it at night then I leave them loose so that by morning time my hair is dried but if its any other night I braid my hair and twist my end of the braid and leave it in a claw that way when I wake up I have ringlets in the ends of my hair.

MajorasMask
November 26th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Usually I dont have enough energy to do my hair before I go to sleep, even though I prefer sleeping hair up. What I like to do is twist my hair into two sections and combine them in a low bun at the napeof my neck. If I do the bun too high it makes me toss and turn and generally make me feel uncomfortable when I sleep. The satin haircap sounds like less of a hassle though - I'll be sure to try it if I can find that somewhere. Daiso maybe?

Pierre
November 26th, 2010, 08:32 PM
If I sleep with my hair loose, I get damage at the back of my head. I wear a Buff to sleep and usually leave it in an updo unless I wash before sleeping.

Rivanariko
November 26th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I usually just do one english braid to keep it contained. My hair managed to tangle itself no matter what I do, but the braid means I only have to spend 5 minutes detangling in the morning, rather than 30. I've been contemplating a sleep cap though, as my braid is developing a bad habit of getting stuck underneath DBF....

horseprincess
November 26th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I sleep with my hair down, or braided. When I sleep with it down I wake up with all sorts of tangles, which cause more splits. Hopefully soon I'll get a satin pillowcase. :(

2peasinapod
November 26th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I sleep on a satin pillowcase with my hair braided. I can do a single braid, but the pieces at the front always fall out, so I do two braids.

littlestarface
November 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I usually just do one english braid to keep it contained. My hair managed to tangle itself no matter what I do, but the braid means I only have to spend 5 minutes detangling in the morning, rather than 30. I've been contemplating a sleep cap though, as my braid is developing a bad habit of getting stuck underneath DBF....
Yup mine too :rolleyes:

Coan-Teen
November 26th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I sleep with mine down right now but when it gets longer I'll likely braid to keep it from getting trapped under my husband. He is an active but clingy sleeper. I fully expect that once my hair reaches APL I will wake up frequently with him lying on parts of it.

AnnaJamila
November 26th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I try to put it up or wear the cap but... sometimes I is bad. ;) The cap gives better results, I will say.

Jessica Trapp
November 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM
There is a huge difference in my hair if I go without a sleep cap.

AnnaJamila
November 26th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Oh, and my husband will play with my hair while he's trying to go to sleep which makes it just that much harder. Lol, I don't even think he realizes he's doing it.

Artsy
November 26th, 2010, 09:15 PM
My hair does not tangle, but when it gets behind my neck it's so itchy it wakes me up at night. My scalp breaks out from sleeping caps, so this is a nono. The only option I have left is to bun it high up loosely with an elastic.
No other choices, easy:p

mira-chan
November 26th, 2010, 09:16 PM
My hair doesn't tangle either but it tries to eat things and strangle me when it's loose at night, so I braid it for everyone's safety.

AnnaJamila
November 26th, 2010, 09:18 PM
My hair doesn't tangle either but it tries to eat things and strangle me when it's loose at night, so I braid it for everyone's safety.

Haha, that made me laugh!!!

Nobody
November 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Personally, I just push my hair over the top of the pillow and sleep with it loose. I can't braid it or put it up and still sleep. It gets tangled but if I brush from the bottom up, detangling is quick and easy without damage. I also use really fluffy soft blankets that leave lint in my hair (and everywhere else) but my brush is a very good one!

LadyG
November 26th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I use a satin pillow, which I like except for the winter static, and I braid my hair. I am a restless sleeper and my hair tangles if it's not braided.

CaityBear
November 26th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I usually have it up, but if I'm sleeping alone and feel like leaving my hair down I just toss it over my head so it lays over the pillow and it usually stays like that through the night since I don't move much.

Now, when I'm sleeping with my boyfriend even having it up becomes a disaster because of us moving so much and sleeping on his shoulder, etc....think I might try a sleeping cap when we live together...

Shellby
November 26th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Satin pillow case and a braid. I sometimes leave it loose if I am fighting a headache. It is long enough that I sometimes smack Hubby with it when I roll over.

DARKMARTIAN
November 27th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I just cant do it. And it has made for some restless nights before. I cant stand those "hair impressions" I get in my back or arm if ive been on it for awhile and didnt realize. I find myself constantly waking up and flipping it outta my way.
Ive tried the braid before but the bulk is too distracting and disturbs my sacred slumber.
What I may do is get a series of helium balloons and with a fine string attach them to all my hair so they just hold it up and out of my way as I sleep......:)

luxepiggy
November 27th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I usually have it up, but if I'm sleeping alone and feel like leaving my hair down I just toss it over my head so it lays over the pillow and it usually stays like that through the night since I don't move much.

Now, when I'm sleeping with my boyfriend even having it up becomes a disaster because of us moving so much and sleeping on his shoulder, etc....think I might try a sleeping cap when we live together...

I have the same situation! Draping over the side of the bed is perfectly sufficient when I'm sleeping alone, for little piggies slumber peacefully through the night and wake up in the exact same position they fall asleep in (^(oo)^)v

When sleeping with the ex?

Pigtastrophe.

BIG pigtastrophe ( ' (oo) ' )

That was when I finally learned to French braid my hair :rolleyes:

Nobody
November 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM
What I may do is get a series of helium balloons and with a fine string attach them to all my hair so they just hold it up and out of my way as I sleep......:)

Brilliant! :p

Belgravia
December 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
silkscarf;)

spidermom
December 3rd, 2010, 09:11 PM
I do a braid from the top of my head and direct over the top of my pillow.

LaurelSpring
December 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
I do a loose single braid from the crown of my head and then wrap it into a loose bun on the top of my head and pin it with a couple of clippies. This works great for me! Its not tight so it doesnt hurt my head and it keeps my hair out of the way. When I take it down in the morning I love lots of volume and nice braid waves. I also sleep on a satin pillow. I tried caps but they just annoy me and slip off. Hanging braids end up too frizzly. Sleeping loose too tangly.

Carina
December 4th, 2010, 02:30 AM
My first week with a sleep cap has been a success.I used to braid it but did not like the tassle in my face all of a sudden .LOL :cheese:
My four year old liked to hold my braid and smell it when he got his bottle and that was another reason to begin using a sleep cap.

Sunny_side_up
December 4th, 2010, 04:10 AM
At my current length i wear it loose, however i remember when it was longer(years ago), it was tied into a double pony high up on my head.

Meridon
December 4th, 2010, 04:48 AM
At the moment I wear it loose or braid it, or shove it into a loose bun, but I do have a bad night's sleep now and then, so I think I might have to invest in a sleep cap because there is no way I could stand the texture of a satin pillowcase against my cheek. I don't know if I'll be able to handle it on my hair but that stands a better chance! I'm just odd that way I guess ;)

lapushka
December 4th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Mostly, I drape my hair over my pillow. Sometimes it's braided for the night but that's all about having braid waves the next day, and doesn't have anything to do really with sleeping habits.

BunnyBee
December 4th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I sleep with my hair loose but I position it so it's "streaming" out away from my head rather than trapped under my head/body. It's so ingrained to do this I will actually come half awake in the night to move my hair out from under me :lol:

THIS!

I usually sleep with my hair braided, but lately It's been loose so it stays straight. It's up over a silk pillow and I'm pretty good at rearranging it half asleep in the middle of the night :p

aenflex
December 4th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Satin sleep cap. Every night :)

trolleypup
December 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Yep. Not a toss and turner, so I can get away with this. Buns and braids and sleepcaps are just too annoying.

kathyblack1
December 7th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I braid my hair, than go to sleep on my satin pillow case.

missmegnetic
December 7th, 2010, 11:53 PM
bun.... so obnoxious though....

I'd like to hear the brand of some people's sleep caps/wraps because I've wasted soooo much money on ones I've bought and not lasted 5 minutes with....

any tips?

musicallberrii
December 7th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I usually braid my hair before bed and tie off with a metal-free elastic. If I put my hair in a bun, it always comes half down and gets tangled, and if I wear it down it is tangled and a mess in the morning.

Milo
December 8th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I have discovered the sleepcap. I used to braid but I'd wake up when trying to roll over because the braid got stuck under me. I had learned to live with it until my daugther (4 years old) started complaining her braid got in her way when sleeping. Thanks to LHC I discovered sleepcaps and nowwe both use them. I don't braid mine before I put on the cap, (I don't like braid waves) but I braid my daugthers hair and then tuck the braid under the cap. Hers sometimes comes off during the night and if I'd leave her hair loose under the cap, she'd look like cousin It.