PDA

View Full Version : making hair appear THINNER

redneckprincess
November 26th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Ok so I know most people want their hair to appear thicker, but I HAVE really thick hair, and as its growing longer, it seams to be thicker as well. Is there any tips or tricks to make my hair appear thinner without using a flat iron?

Babyfine
November 26th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Well, I've got the exact opposite problem you do- but through the years I've notices that heavy layering thins out my hair-making the ends/longer part-appear much thinner. I've always wanted to cut in a heavy fringe/ or layer my hair but I can't because it takes too much away from the blody of my hair.(at longer lengths)

Capybara
November 26th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I used to want my hair to appear thinner as well! I think you'll find that, as it grows longer, the thickness seems more "in proportional" with the length. I think your hair looks great as is!

I'm not whether this technique would work, but maybe hair wrapping could help make your hair appear thinner?

jaine
November 26th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I like to damp-bun mine with gel in it...parted and combed before I bun it...then I let it dry in the bun. When I take it down it's a much more reasonable size than it would be if I had let it dry on its own because the hairs are lying in the same direction so it's not "puffy"...hope this helps!!

May
November 26th, 2010, 03:25 PM
If you want your hair to have a better shape and less bulk I would go to a *good* salon and ask for long blended layers in the last 1-2" of your hair...basically point cutting/texturizing/thinning out the ends. Good luck!

renarok
November 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM
When I started growing seriously in 07 I had layered hair because my hair is thick and wavy. It took a long time to get long enough to have the length weigh it down. I felt like my head was shaped like a pyramid.

I found pony tailing it while wet really was a good way to tame the top. Have you ever doobied? that is also a good way to straighten without heat.

Fractalsofhair
November 26th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Get the ends feathered, and weigh your hair down if it's too wild. Feathering the ends is putting layers in the last inch or so, so it waves differently. I normally get that done when my hair is shorter than my shoulders, otherwise my hair is very puffy!

Roseate
November 26th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I know what you mean! My hair is still wider than it is long, and that bugs me.

Oiling the length helps it be a little less poofy.

When I wear my hair "down" I always have at least two or three bobby pins in there around my crown: they hold back little bits of hair to redistribute the volume towards the back, so at least it's not so huge right around my face.

Loose half-ups are also good; they have to be loose, if they are tight it looks like my head is tiny on top and then BAM, giant hair. But if I keep it loose it all hangs together rather nicely, and again, redistributes the volume in a more flattering way. Half-up buns are another good way to lose volume.

I'll be checking this thread for other people's tips for wrangling giant hair!

redneckprincess
November 26th, 2010, 04:11 PM
When I started growing seriously in 07 I had layered hair because my hair is thick and wavy. It took a long time to get long enough to have the length weigh it down. I felt like my head was shaped like a pyramid.

I found pony tailing it while wet really was a good way to tame the top. Have you ever doobied? that is also a good way to straighten without heat.

DOOBIED?? Lol, What's that?

redneckprincess
November 26th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Yes, my hair is layered at the ends from about shoulder to ends (almost BSL) but it still seams very thick. I don't hate it, I just would like it tamed somedays, without using heat or having oiled hair.