PDA

View Full Version : Diluting Shampoo

atlantaz3
June 2nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
Who is doing this and at what dilution level?

I tried this out of curiosity with the last ounce of so in the shampoo bottle. Probably the last four shampoos have been with diluted poo. I was surprised that it "sudsed" up just as well as if at full strength (makes me wonder if I needed to clarify). I think I am not stripping my hair as much because it does seem to want to be washed a day or two sooner this way.

I'm going to keep this up for a little while to see how my hair does. For me the dilution isn't a science - this last mix was about 1/2 a bottle of water and maybe an ounce of shampoo (the previous mix was probably closer to 50/50 poo/water).
At this rate my two bottles of shampoo are going to last a REALLY long time.

Oh one last question for those that do this - do you do a full strength shampoo every so often?

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
No I don't use a full strength shampoo because I don't use cones and the diluted shampoo does the job very well (probably would work if you did use cones too though). I use a squirt bottle and just put about a half teaspoon of shampoo (color-protect Paul Mitchell with sulfates is what I have been using) and then fill the rest up with warm water and squirt all over my scalp letting it run over my length. I'd say the squirt bottle is about 8 oz. I got it at Sally's in the "color" section.

Kirin
June 2nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
I dillute, mainly because shampoos to me seem so thick and don't work through the hair very well. My husband and one daughter have VERY thick hair, and they'd have to use a ton undilluted to get it underneath to the oily bits.

My hair is fine, but I dillute about 25/75 water/shampoo and it seems much gentler.

QueenBea
June 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
I am trying CO but I like to wash a couple times a week--

Last week I took an old 8 oz squirt bottle (okay, I admit, it's one of those bottles they give you in the hospital when you have a baby for--cleansing, lol) and put about 1 tsp of shampoo in it. I've used about 2 oz of the mix each time I've washed my hair, and been amazed at how well it works!

My bottle of shampoo is going to last forever! I don't imagine I would need a "full strength" wash, ever.

Bea

Gladtobemom
June 2nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
When I use shampoo, I usually use Queene Helene Mint Julep, which comes as a concentrate. I mix it to make a gallon--it's quite thin.

Then I put some in a bottle that has a long pointy snout--with just a pinhole. I can run that snout along my scalp and get the shampoo right where I want it. (These bottles are for sale at beauty supply houses)

This shampoo has no sulphates at all and is extremely mild.

When I clarify, I usually use VO5 Kiwi and Lime Squeeze Clarifying shampoo. I dilute it with 4 parts water and 1 part shampoo in a smaller squirt bottle of the same type.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
I have an empty shampoo bottle. I put some water in there. Then I add a short squeeze of shampoo and shake well.

Sometimes I dilute a bit too much and have to re-do it, but not very often.

I use gels and stuff, so I do a full-strength shampoo every now and then (twice a month or less), when the texture of my hair seems coarser, it looks duller, or it's dry and tangling more, etc.

Islandgrrl
June 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
I mostly CO, but when I use shampoo I dilute, too. About 1/2 teaspoon shampoo to 8 ounces of water, in one of those squeezy bottles for applying color to your hair. I apply maybe 1/3 of the bottle to my scalp and gently massage, letting it run through the rest of my hair, rinse & condition (or not).

Pretty much the only time I use poo is when my hair doesn't feel good anymore after CO for a while. I don't use cones, but still, sometimes I need more that what the CO will do.

Xandergrammy
June 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
My dilution is very unscientific- I figure it's about 50/50.

Nightshade
June 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
I dilute my shampoo too :) I right now I'm using Jason Henna Hi-Lights shampoo or Max Green Scalp Rescue Shampoo. I'd started with a 1 part shampoo to 3 parts water, but recently I cut it down to about 1 part shampoo to 6 parts water and it's still working very well.

I use an old cleaned out bottle from the Perfect 10 hair dye kit (http://perfectcolorin10.com/en_US/product_details/images/bottles_image.jpg) (not used on my head) for applying it right to the scalP;

cindy58
June 2nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
My dilution is very imprecise, a squirt of shampoo in an empty shampoo bottle and probably at least a cup of warm water. It feels better and I think it does a great job.

I also do it with my dog's shampoo now when I bathe her, much easier to wash all that fur. Rinses better too.

Amoretti
June 2nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
I used to dilute it but I ended up using more so I stopped. It seemed illogical.

DaveDecker
June 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
I always dilute the shampoo. I don't precisely measure the amount of shampoo or water, yet the mixture always seems to work out well. In the summertime (erm, which lasts about 9 months here) I lather-rinse-repeat. One bottle of shampoo lasts a long time.

hurricane_gia
June 2nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
I originally started diluting my shampoo before I even found LHC, because we have such hard water that if I used straight poo I'd be rinsing my hair for hours. But then, they say that around her the water is so alkaline it could be soap.

I currently use this mix:

One tablespoon of shampoo
Half a cup of conditioner
One teaspoon of citric acid
two cups of distilled water

I shake it all up in an old conditioner bottle and use that as the "COW" portion of my C-COW-C routine. It works very well and is soooooo inexpensive!

sahiba
June 2nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
I too use diluted shampoo but I dilute it seeing the thickness of the shampoo. I like my diluted shampoo to be quite watery so that I don't have to squeeze the bottle for it to come out.

Flaxen
June 3rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
I use two teaspoons of shampoo, either in 4 or 8 oz. of water, depending on how oily my hair is.

toodramatik
June 3rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
Heya!

This sounds a great idea i want to try but i have one question.. Currently I oil my hair overnight (Dabur Amla oil) every night and wash it with 'poo in the morning.. Do you think it would be ok to dilute the shampoo or would it leave the oil in my hair?

full strength isnt even getting rid of the smell [not that i mind, i like the smell] so yeahh

Sceleste
June 3rd, 2008, 03:20 AM
I dilute my shampoo too. I use an old shampoo bottle which holds half a liter. I like my mix to be very runny and watery, and very mild. I use a small squirt of shampoo and fill the bottle with water.

I dilute shampoo because it's easier to spread all over my scalp. If I would use undiluted shampoo I'd have to use lots and lots to get it all over my head.

This sounds a great idea i want to try but i have one question.. Currently I oil my hair overnight (Dabur Amla oil) every night and wash it with 'poo in the morning.. Do you think it would be ok to dilute the shampoo or would it leave the oil in my hair?

I usually CO or scalp wash with diluted shampoo but sometimes I spread the liquid to my ends too, usually after heavy oiling with coconut oil. It cleans really well, even if it's mild liquid, and my hair isn't oily afterwards. I have used EVOO in the past and that stayed in my hair even after using full strength shampoo.

Tekakwitha
June 3rd, 2008, 07:43 AM
I dilute 10ml of shampoo (doesn't matter which brand I currently use) with 90ml water and wash my scalp with that mixture. This method works like a charm and cleans thoroughly but doesn't strip off all the hair's natural moisture.

Altocumulus
June 3rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
My dilution is very unscientific- I figure it's about 50/50.

That's about what I do too. I squirt a bit of shampoo into my hand, and add water before putting it on my head. My mother's stylist gave her this advice 30 years ago, and I've been doing it ever since.

Buddaphlyy
June 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
That's about what I do too. I squirt a bit of shampoo into my hand, and add water before putting it on my head. My mother's stylist gave her this advice 30 years ago, and I've been doing it ever since.

Same for me. I haven't used undiluted shampoo in ages. My former stylist told me it takes a long time to rinse out, so mix it with water first to help it out a bit.

I only use shampoo once or twice a month and I only lather up once, so even travel sized bottles of shampoo last me a long time.

burns_erin
June 4th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I dilute my shampoo, about 1.5 teaspoons into a 6 oz bottle, fill the rest with water. But I use a little spray bottle. I put the spray nozzle almost directly on my scalp and spray in sections. It comes out kind of foamy that way, even with organic shampoos that do not really suds up normally. I use way less shampoo and I also do not get shampoo on my length like I did with squirt bottles. I am really clumsy so the spray bottle works better for me.

shellblue1
June 26th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I dilute my shampoo. I do about a 8:1 ratio. 8 = water, 1 = shampoo. Works pretty good. Sometimes I have to add a little more shampoo to get a better lather. I put the water and shampoo into a haircolor squeeze bottle that has a pointed tip (I think it might be 8 oz.). I give the bottle a good shake before I apply. I squeeze it directly onto my scalp, while most of the time avoiding my length (unless the length needs it).

shellblue1
June 26th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Heya!

full strength isnt even getting rid of the smell [not that i mind, i like the smell] so yeahh

I oil quite often too and the diluted shampoo seems to remove it very well. :)

Millielie
June 26th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I tried to dilute my shampoo but it didn't worked for me. To get my scalp cleaned I need a lot more shampoo that way than using it undiluted.

Riot Crrl
June 26th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Diluting it is not a bad idea at all in my opinion.

However, if doing this and then storing the diluted product, please keep in mind that the preservative amounts were formulated and tested with it undiluted. It also may be difficult to discern textural changes in the product when it has been dilute.

It's probably fine, and there are probably enough preservatives to go around, and I probably just have issues about this, but I would hate to think of anyone farming bacteria and putting it on their beautiful hair.

jojo
June 26th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I dilute my poo and I probably put a couple of tablespoon worth in a big bottle, I probably over dilute but I wash twice and always get a good lather with the second wash.

I wash once a week too.