PDA

View Full Version : How do I classify my hair?

Dreamkitty
November 26th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I have not classified my hair yet and Im clueless on how to do this, I can't find any old threads on LHC either. How do I do it exactly, can someone direct me to some links or info, or maybe visually just look at my pic and just have a guess at what I might be?:)

I want to know

The first classifier determines the curliness of your hair (or lack thereof).

The second classifier determines the thickness of individual hairs.

I want to fill in the missing gaps and then I will feel like my hair profile is complete, knowing what my hair type is like, I will be able to focus on my goals and buy hair products suitable for my hair type.:)

Here is a photo of my hair, when air dried after a wash. This is how it normally looks.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6686&pictureid=88979 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6686&pictureid=88979)

Druid of Alba
November 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM
It's hard to tell whether your hair is fine, medium, or coarse.
But, in terms of texture, I'd say 2a.
It looks thick, too, so I'd say iii.
You have really nice hair!

Dreamkitty
November 26th, 2010, 12:19 PM
It's hard to tell whether your hair is fine, medium, or coarse.
But, in terms of texture, I'd say 2a.
It looks thick, too, so I'd say iii.
You have really nice hair!

Well my hair feels medium texture. And with texture I definetly feel that it is wavy. I measured the circumferance of my hair, it is above 4 so that was easy to do as I just did it with a measuring tape.

I find it hard to look at my hair and say the texture, the type because its not dealing with numbers but feeling and looking at the hair visually, I mean where is the boundary between fine, medium hair?. :D

Thank you for your feedback and comments:)

Speckla
November 26th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Looks like 2b to me. Very pretty and shiny.

Yozhik
November 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Is the photo of your hair without being brushed? That will show your true wave pattern. I'm just asking because I think I remember seeing you with a much wavier photo . . .

As it is, I'd give it a 2a as well.

For differentiating fine vs. medium hair, I think the trick is that fine hair is supposed to be very thin, so that when you hold one hair up to the light your have difficulty seeing it. However, I always thought this was a little strange, because if you have darker hair I'd suspect it would be more prone to showing up, no matter how fine a single hair is. :shrug:

Also, when you rub a few strands between your fingers they should feel smooth and not like threads. Medium, or at least my conception of it, is when you have a mixture of fine hair and coarser hair -- this is what I classify my own hair as. :)

Igor
November 26th, 2010, 12:33 PM
If you click on the Links to VITs - Very Important Threads clearly marked on top of the list of threads on the mane forum as a sticky you will find a link to the Hair Classification System

Dreamkitty
November 26th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Speckla- Thanks for your comment and guess.:)

Yozhik- This is how my hair looks after I brushed and combed it so you might be right it might be more accurate to look at my hair not brushed and I know it is a little bit more curlier/wavier then that. The other pic that I posted was when my hair had coconut oil in it, so thats how my hair looks when its oiled. Im going to try examining my hair when its dry and feel it, at the moment I have Amla oil on my hair. Thanks for the advice:)

Igor- Thank you but I think I must be going blind here:confused:, I still can't see the VIT, can you post the link to it please?

Igor
November 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Igor- Thank you but I think I must be going blind here:confused:, I still can't see the VIT, can you post the link to it please?

On the first page of the Mane forum under the announcements but above the regular, unstickied threads. Its clearly marked “Sticky” by Flaxen, one of the moderators

MissManda
November 26th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I think your hair looks 2a to me. It is a very lovely color. :flower:

Dreamkitty
November 27th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I think your hair looks 2a to me. It is a very lovely color. :flower:

I always felt my hair was wavier then 2a but I want straight hair with very little waves so I would be happy if it is 2a, I wanted my hair to be brunette as well. But im sticking to my natural hair type/colour, I am what I am. Thanks for your nice comment.:)

DARKMARTIAN
November 27th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Ive always wondered this too. Just yesterday someone told me that my hair was 2A....and I still have no idea what they are talking about. Ive always been told my hair was thick....but honestly ive never known what to compare it to.....

Blahhh

Really beautiful hair though DK.....love the color...;)