PDA

View Full Version : Is there a name for this bun?

nytquill
November 26th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I stumbled onto this myself but I can't believe that it hasn't already been done somewhere in the history of time (sorry it's not the best pic...)

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q314/nytquill/DSCF1461.jpg

In my head I've been calling it the "William Tell bun" because when I do it just right the center of the bun looks like an apple, the little loop is the stem and then the hairstick pierces it all through the middle like an arrow.

It's basically a modified Celtic knot bun. In fact I actually thought I was doing a Celtic knot bun, that's what I meant for it to be, but I went back and looked at the instructions and my version of it doesn't have the 2nd twist, so you only pull the ends through, not the ends + a loop of the 2nd twist.

Or you could look at it as a modified plain-ol' knot bun but instead of pulling the ends all the way through you just pull enough to make a loop, and then insert the hairstick through the center of that loop, into the outer roll of hair and down to the scalp, then back out the other side. Then tuck the ends or don't.

I'm not sure if that made sense? Anyway what do you guys think? I will try to get a better picture of it when DH is home since I'm not so good at getting the back of my own head :lol:

It is SUPER secure in my hair, if I do it right it will stay all day with just one stick, even at work which can get pretty active depending on the day. And quite comfortable and easy to redo if need be.

Coan-Teen
November 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I don't know but it's certainly pretty. I have such hair envy for buns. Just had to comment. A very happy accident. :)

princessp
November 26th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I've been looking for new updos thanks for posting! Oh and I have no idea if it already exists I'm kind of an updo noob. Very pretty.

Calaelen
November 26th, 2010, 11:19 AM
:) that's an infinity bun. If you do the same thing so that it goes up and down, it becomes a figure 8 bun. They're both super popular around these parts, and yours is pretty.

frizzinator
November 26th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Could your instructions be more specific? I've seen different instructions for the celtic knot, and I don't pull the tail through when I make it, so I'm not exactly following your instructions.

I can't say that it's like the Infinity bun that I make, but I've seen two versions of the Infinity, and I only remember one of them.

edited:

It reminds me of these buns: the Karen Lynn Knot and Twitch's double-looped knot in the Articles, and maybe even JJJ's Pretzel bun, but maybe not, because I don't exactly follow your instructions.

nytquill
November 26th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I don't think it's an infinity bun. It can look kinda like one but the method is different.

Sorry I didn't write clearer instructions to begin with! I was writing that in a rush getting ready for work. Here goes:

I'm left-handed so this might be backwards for a lot of you. Gather hair into a ponytail and twist the length tightly. Take two fingers - I use my right thumb and index finger so I'm ready to grab the hair later on, but whatever works for you is fine. If you want the "donut hole" to be larger you can use three fingers - and place them close to your head, on top of the twisted hair. Rotate your wrist around one time so that the hair forms a twisted loop around your fingers. Up until this point this is exactly the same procedure as a Celtic knot.

What's different next is that you don't then twist the loop a second time, so you don't grab the hair that's wrapped around the base of your first loop, because there is none. Instead you right away grab the leftover tail with the fingers that are sticking through the donut hole, and start pulling the tail through juuuuust enough to make a loop. Basically I stop pulling when they loop is just big enough that I can wiggle my fingers out of it. I use one hand to pin the small loop down against the rest of the bun - about 2 o'clock if you think of the bun as a clock face. So the loop that you pulled through is resting on the ring of the "donut". Then I insert the hairstick into the middle of the small loop, which means it goes through the bigger "donut" hair also, down to the scalp, under the base of the twist and back up through the "donut" on the other side.

At that point you can either wrap the remaining ends under the bun (pin them in place if you want to) or not. My hair isn't long enough yet to really wrap them under so I usually just leave the little fan sticking out for visual effect :P

Let me know if I need to clear up those instructions somewhere!

nytquill
November 26th, 2010, 02:33 PM
To clarify further: this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUQAucReptY) is the instructions I've been following for the Celtic knot bun, for comparison.

HoneyJubilee
November 26th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I have no idea whether it's been done before, but it's really pretty. And I love your hairstick!

frizzinator
November 26th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Oh, that's Emichiee! I haven't seen that video before, but it and the bun is lovely. I don't twist the Celtic Knot. I think I've seen an untwisted version of your bun.

missmanytoes
November 28th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I've been doing that one for a couple of years now. I think it is a pretzel bun or something very close to it.

clichepithet
November 29th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I think we have the same watch.

Horsetuna
December 15th, 2010, 02:36 PM
as an archer, I want to try this out. Can you post a picture by picture version of how to do it? I think this would eve look niftier with an arrow-shaped hairpin.

nytquill
December 15th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I'll try to talk DH into taking pictures while I do it.

In the meantime here's a better shot of one that really looks (to me) like an apple. I freely admit that I'm a mediocre photo editor at best!

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q314/nytquill/DSCF1487-1-1.jpg

Anje
December 15th, 2010, 04:03 PM
So are you giving the first loop (with your fingers through it) a full rotation, or a half one? If it's only flipped (rotated 180 degrees), I don't quite see how you pull a loop through. If it goes through a full rotation, you have essentially wrapped the tail around the base once in the process of rotating it. You may not have changed the angle the way the video shows, but it's topographically identical.

For whatever it's worth, I think everything we call a celtic knot bun is a what in knot-speak would be an "overhand knot with a drawloop". Ashley just calls it a "slipknot," and it's #529 in the Ashley book of knots. The Karen-Lynn knot (ETA: and double-looped knot), on the other hand, is a "figure 8 knot", #520.

nytquill
December 16th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Except in the video she says she's pulling two strands of hair through the donut hole - the wrapped hair at the base of the twist plus the loose end - and I am only pulling one, the loose end. My understanding was that in a Celtic knot the "loose" end winds up wrapped all the way (360 degrees) around the base of the twist, and when I do it, the loose end only gets wrapped around the underside of the twist,i.e. 180 degrees; it doesn't make a full circle around.

I just did it again slowly and it IS essentially an overhand knot (i.e. the first half of a square knot, the "right over left" part that looks like a pretzel?) turned kind of sideways. Instead of pulling the end all the way through to complete the knot I just pull it partway through so that it makes a loop. Is that what a drawloop means?

I've wanted a copy of the Ashley book of knots since I read The Shipping News! I don't know what I would actually DO with it though, haha. I used to live in a small fishing village on an island in eastern Canada (much smaller and warmer than NFLD though - although I really wanna go there someday, love the music!) so the book really struck a, ahem, "cord" with me. *ducks*

frizzinator
December 16th, 2010, 04:52 AM
This reminds me of the chain stitch bun, named after the crochet stitch.