PDA

View Full Version : Are grays often different in texture?

ilovelonghair
November 26th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Just curious, I heard some people say their grays are more curly or coarser. This year I have suddenly grown a lot of gray hairs out of the blue (I didn't have them before) but they are the same as the rest of my hair.

autumn_aqua
November 26th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I would say you are very lucky! Mine are coarser and straighter than the rest of my hair.

frizzinator
November 26th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Yes, you are lucky. Mine would stand-up and curl like a corkscrew. Going gray was a frizzy problem for me.

Ludde
November 26th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Mine are very thinner and softer.

Aveyronnaise
November 26th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Ugh, my greys stick almost straight up in the air. Luckily I don't have too many ...yet.

keepmyhair
November 26th, 2010, 04:47 AM
My gray hair are definitely of a different texture. They are either courses, or very fine and tapering. Just a few gray hair are of regular texture.

Speckla
November 26th, 2010, 07:55 AM
My grey is as curly as the rest but it's thicker and coarse. My brown hair is mediumish all the way around.

aenflex
November 26th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Mine are much coarser and thicker and not smooth in diameter. However they are 'reds' now thanks to henna :)

autumn_aqua
November 26th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I would say you are very lucky! Mine are coarser and straighter than the rest of my hair.

EdG
November 26th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I have both grays that are thick, coarse, and usually shorter, and grays that are the same thickness and length as my non-gray hairs.

I think all hairs turn gray eventually.
Ed

Delila
November 26th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Mine seem to be a mixture. Some fall within the normative range for my hair, kind of thin/fine/flyaway, but others are much shorter/thicker/stronger/curlier.

To be honest, I kind of wish all my hair were that texture, I'm curious to see how much thickness I'd gain.

charalito
November 26th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Mine are coarser, but I see them as a blessing. My hair is very fine and straight, and sometimes it's hard to hold a do. These coarser new hairs will help the future coifs to stay put :)

lapushka
November 26th, 2010, 08:52 AM
My grays are all white and they're lightly sprinkled throughout my hair. Some of them are short, straight, most of them are long and some are more wavy in texture. They're as F as my regular hair, but because some are more wavy they seem a little more wiry. There's a lot more variation among the white hairs.

MNoelH
November 26th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Yes, you are lucky. Mine would stand-up and curl like a corkscrew. Going gray was a frizzy problem for me.

This happened to my mom; however, mine seem to be mostly the same as the rest of my hair.

I'm not sure, but I think some of the grays turn gray and some of them grow gray. The ones that grow gray seem a little stiffer and stick up at my crown... I just yank those out.

Deborah
November 26th, 2010, 05:28 PM
My whites are the same as the rest of my hair; extremely fine. I don't have any hairs that are grey.

Victorious
November 26th, 2010, 05:58 PM
My "normal" hair is baby fine and super straight. I have always wanted thicker hair and curly hair. So far all of my white hairs have come in thicker and with a bit of curl, so I love my whites! I even name them. LOL I would never dye them.

Proud to be a renegray!

boomtownrat
November 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM
It's been a while since I had virgin hair that was pigmented, so I can't remember exactly if my "before" hair was thinner. My silver/white hair is fine and wavy, as it was before I ever dyed it. It's not thin and not incredibly thick, which is how it was before it changed. Some silver hairs grow in curlier than others, but I've always had both straight and curly hairs.

ilovelonghair
November 26th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Lot of people in my family gray 'prematurely' and I seem to be bound to do as well. Not that it is a problem I think. I'd love to have pure white hair, can I have it right now? But I henna so growing them out would be a pain, with virgin hair it's a different story. I like my hennaed hair though.
My family members with gray hair or graying hair all have the grays growing in in the type of the rest of their hair, no one got coarser gray hairs.