PDA

View Full Version : Brother growing out hair, wants management advice

gossamer
November 25th, 2010, 07:16 PM
My brother has this gorgeous, shiny, dark brown hair that he's growing out, partly from laziness, partly from his curiosity about what having longer hair is like.

It's a little bit wavy, as you can see here:
http://x67.xanga.com/ab6f6352d4730273408870/m218005408.jpg

He's not at the point where all of it can be pulled back, like so:

http://xc2.xanga.com/b75f6246d4730273408872/s218005410.jpg

Any advice from the gentlemen around here (and ladies too, of course!) about how he can keep it from getting in his eyes until it gets longer? About the only thing he can think of right now is to wear a wool cap around constantly. I offered to pin it back, but he rejected that idea outright (probably a good idea).

What strategies did you use as your hair grew out?

Kosmos
November 25th, 2010, 07:18 PM
David Beckham used those thin fabric headbands and still looked macho. Handkerchiefs are a lighter option to hats.

luxepiggy
November 25th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Is it long enough to tuck behind the ears? That's probably the easiest way. If he puts a little bit of product in before tucking, it should stay better.

Your brother's hair looks fantastic. I love guys with long hair (^(oo)^)

Intransigentia
November 26th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Wow, your brother has gorgeous hair.

I've seen men with slightly more length in front put theirs in a half-up and still look plenty manly. He's probably still a few months away from that though.

Druid of Alba
November 26th, 2010, 11:28 AM
His hair is really nice!
I hope he doesn't cut it! :)
I'm a guy too, and my hair is just a bit longer than that! I find that if, when my hair is wet, I brush it back, inside of to the side, it will dry so that it stays off of my face. Once it is fully dry, I do part it, but the front part still stays back, there's lift at the roots that keeps it back, as opposed to it lying flat like his does. He could try that! I find this works especially well when my hair is a bit oily. So, to replicate oil, he could use a bit of mousse just at the roots at the very front. Or he could use a bit of oil, or just not wash it every day, if he wanted too! Good luck.

Gumball
November 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM
When my hair was first growing out, I didn't use anything like caps, headbands, or pins to keep it back. For me, that meant it was "grin and bear it" until something could be done with it. Of course for me I didn't go the "half-up when possible" route like some choose to, instead waiting until it could all be tied back. Best of luck for him!

DavidN
November 26th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Congratulations to your brother, Gossamer, on doing so well in his hair growing journey, and he is off to an excellent start, with great shine and thickness. I hope he sticks with it, and it is understandable that the "awkward stage" can be frustrating at times, but the rewards in the end are well worth it. Other members have offered excellent advice already.

Good luck to him!

Yozhik
November 26th, 2010, 01:31 PM
My DBF's hair is just slightly longer than your brothers, and he's also getting really annoyed with hair in his eyes. Our solution -- I lent him my black fabric headband and he's been using it to good effect. :)

As Kosmos said, it lends a sort of soccer-player look.

david
November 26th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Well, im a guy but when I was growing my hair out I used headbands, or clips to keep it out of the way. I got the thin plastic headband/alicebands that blended in with my hair, even the fabric ones, but I preferred the thin plastic ones. If hes not willing to try pinning it out of the way of using headbands etc then the other other thing is the grin and bear it route. This just involves tucking the hair behind your ears or clever use of styling products to keep the hair out of the way until it can be tied back. Hope he sticks with it.

But looking at the photographs you provided it looks like he would be able to manage to tie the back into a pony-stub idea then simply put the fringe/bangs behind his ears. I also used to do this when my hair got long enough.

gossamer
November 26th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I want to thank everyone who commented with helpful advice. I think he's going to try the mousse at the roots thing and I'll put it half-up for him later to see how he feels about it.

I appreciate LHC all the more because of the conversation he and I had before I started this thread:
"My hair is really annoying and I don't know what to do with it."
"Oh, let's ask the internet what to do. I'm on a hair community."
"Let's not. The internet is mean."
"But LHC is actually nice!"

And you all have been. Thanks!